Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seagulls in fog, Peggy's Cove  (Read 3447 times)

John R

Seagulls in fog, Peggy's Cove
« on: March 11, 2009, 11:27:57 am »

A shot taken few years ago in Peggy's Cove. Just cleaned and converted to BW, as it seems to really bring out and retain tone that are in the mist.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:54:26 am by John R »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 11:47:19 am »

Have you considered a more square crop of it?  Like just to the left of the 'R'.  The reason I suggest this is that the seagulls in the background seem to combine to form a competing structure in the image.  The slight crop seems to dissolve that structure into the background.

Maybe I finished too many connect-the-dots menus at Happy Chef when I was a kid.

Either way it is a lovely image.

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:39 pm »

Quote from: John R
A shot taken few years ago in Peggy's Cove. Just cleaned and converted to BW, as it seems to really bring out and retain tone that are in the mist.

JMR

I'd love to see it in colour.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 01:25:26 pm »

I think it is a great shot as it is, the black and white does help to bring the moood out , where is Peggy's Cove?

John R

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Have you considered a more square crop of it?  Like just to the left of the 'R'.  The reason I suggest this is that the seagulls in the background seem to combine to form a competing structure in the image.  The slight crop seems to dissolve that structure into the background.

Maybe I finished too many connect-the-dots menus at Happy Chef when I was a kid.

Either way it is a lovely image.
Thanks for the comments. The actual image comes from a slide that became very dirty and it seems I can't clean it with air, so I have to do little bits of cloning here and there for dust , hair-like things, etc. Anyway, one can crop images to death, but I like this crop. Once I clean the image, I will post original.

JMR

John R

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:25 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
See comments above. Once I clean the original, I will post it.

JMR

John R

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »

Quote from: Andres Bonilla
I think it is a great shot as it is, the black and white does help to bring the moood out , where is Peggy's Cove?
Peggy's Cove is a little fishing village in Nova Scotia, an Eastern province of Canada, just slightly northeast of Maine. It is has a lighthouse that also functions as post office, and it is one of the most famous and photographed landmarks in Canada. But if you ever go there, it is only one of many fine fishing villages in the area. So take a tour, you will not be disappointed.

JMR
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:03:01 pm by John R »

John R

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:06 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
Ok, here it is in colour. Remember it is a cleaned up slide. It's not bad in colour and I have it on my wall as cibachrome, which reproduced the greys and whites nicely.

JMR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:54:55 am by John R »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:50:39 pm »

The color version is definitely better in conveying the atmosphere and sense of place.

John R

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »

Quote from: slobodan56
The color version is definitely better in conveying the atmosphere and sense of place.
Thanks. Yes it is pretty good, but initially I went with BW because it was smaller and easier to clean as a BW. The scan was so dirty that I thought I would never finish cleaning it. Take a look. I spent a good two hours cleaning the image.

[attachment=12074:Peg_cove_LS.jpg]
JMR
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:55:28 am by John R »

Joe Behar

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:44:46 am »

Quote from: John R
Ok, here it is in colour. Remember it is a cleaned up slide. It's not bad in colour and I have it on my wall as cibachrome, which reproduced the greys and whites nicely.

JMR

Yup,

Definitely like the colour version better.

mattpallante

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 06:09:47 pm »

Well, I have to say, only the B&W makes me smile.......either way, it was well worth the work-very nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up