Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: advise 8 megapixel camera for landscape & nature  (Read 4671 times)

peterwr

advise 8 megapixel camera for landscape & nature
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 08:38:20 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']You should check out the Olympus 8080, too. I know Michael didn't like it - and having handled one, I can see what he means; the menu system is a bit toytown and the controls aren't in traditional photographer's locations - but Phil Askey (www.dpreview.com) really rates it - it even compares surprisingly favourably to the EOS1 DS Mark 2 in his tests, and the prints I've made from his test pics are superb. Built like a brick outhouse, too. If you don't need the long lens range and all the pro features like rapid RAW shooting, Anti-Shake and so on, I'd probably say go with the Olympus. That's my plan, anyway. Otherwise, I'd concur with Michael that the Minolta is the one to go for.

HTH,

Peter[/font]

cgordon

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 07:54:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
My main question though was : don't you miss the possibilities in terms of usability of a live LCD feed, aspecially in a non-studio situation ?
yes and no.

i have never shot in a studio, and don't see myself ever doing so in the future. but as for desiring the live lcd, it depends on the subjects of my photography. more often than not, i am using my dslr for landscape and wildlife photography where it is very important to be able to see the image as the lens sees it. depth of field preview (from what i understand) is not possible with an evf. the image quality of the evf is not up to par as an optical viewfinder is for exacting and detailed compositions.

where i do miss the live lcd feed is for street/travel photography where i don't want my eye stuck against the viewfinder. it's nice to be able to interact with someone, and not have the camera influence their behaviour (camera shyness), thereby being able to capture those great expressions.

also, i definitely find the live lcd feed to regain some photographic imagination. it's like the feeling as a child when you picked up a camera for the first time! it opens your eyes to a world beyond having your eye stuck to the camera. you tend to see things a little differently when you first play a camera with a live lcd.

to me, dslr's and digicams serve different functions. and unfortunately, i see a need (well being honest, a want) for both! my dslr is great, and i would see myself using it the most for what i like to photography. but it's too cumbersome and heavy for extended travel or backpacking trips when i want to travel light. and that's why i've been looking into the minolta a2.[/font]

Bobtrips

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 08:28:50 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Like I said, ain't gonna happen soon. What you're talking about means taking live video off the sensor, full resolution, at at least 15 frames per second, preferably 30 or more. One reason LCD/EVF viewfinders are so small is because they are LOW resolution. 640x480 if you're lucky. The technology isn't there yet. In 10 years, it will probably be feasible, ...[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Johnathon,

Do yourself a favor and spend some time looking through the EVF of a Minolta A2.  Really look through it.  Focus with it.  

"There" yet?  Maybe not 100% there, but really dang close.  Let your mind wander to the next generation.

(Trying to do you a favor here.  You look like a neatness freak and probably wouldn't enjoy egg on your face.    )[/font]

Bobtrips

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2004, 05:33:48 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
Do yourself a favor and spend some time looking through the EVF of a Minolta A2.  Really look through it.  Focus with it.
I have and it's not in the same league as the optical finder on my 1Ds. A few model generations from now I'm sure the EVF will catch up, but it's not there yet.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']No, the viewfinder on your 1Ds is probably significantly better.  

But the proper comparison would be between the A2 and a 'more limited' OVF such as found on the 300D and D70.

I'm sure that if there was a current market for a full-frame digital with a EVF that could be marketed for ~$7,000 the EVF would be quite impressive.

(BTW, the A2 EVF is 640x480x3 or 921,600 pixels.  Next generation could be, say 2 megs???)[/font]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up