Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Print "Match Print Colors"  (Read 1635 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
CS3 Print "Match Print Colors"
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:36:54 pm »

Hi -

I've just noticed, while trying to debug a printing issue, that the "Match Print Colors" option in the CS3 print dialog produces a noticeably darker image than the soft proof using the same profile ...   My assumption was that they should look the same.  Am I wrong ?

Thanks
David
--
David Mantripp

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:13:44 pm »

Quote from: drm
I've just noticed, while trying to debug a printing issue, that the "Match Print Colors" option in the CS3 print dialog produces a noticeably darker image than the soft proof using the same profile ...   My assumption was that they should look the same.  Am I wrong ?

They should match assuming you have the soft proof set in PS using Paper White simulation which in CS3 is stuck 'on' in that dialog (not any more in CS4).

Then there's a difference in preview size.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:28:41 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
They should match assuming you have the soft proof set in PS using Paper White simulation which in CS3 is stuck 'on' in that dialog (not any more in CS4).

Then there's a difference in preview size.

Thanks Andrew -

Even with paper simulation on, and, albeit, a degree of squinting, I'm seeing a tangible difference.  Oh well. A color management hell session awaits, it seems...

David

SOLVED: I discovered that somehow the colour settings in CS3 were incorrect: it had, somewhow, reverted to the North American preset, and strangely, to desaturate by 19%. I'd certainly never set that up.  So I learned two things: one, desaturate in colour setup does not affect the match colors in Print preview, and two, don't do this stuff at 11pm when you've been up since 6am and spent all day in front of a computer....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:21:43 am by drm »
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up