Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem printing from CS3 to my Epson 3800.  (Read 2224 times)

Bill Koenig

Problem printing from CS3 to my Epson 3800.
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:32 pm »

Last night I worked on a group shot in CS3. When finished with the edit, I saved it as a master, then made a duplicate which was cropped to 11x8.5 at 360 ppi to send off to my Epson 3800.
In the PS print screen I tried to change from portrait to landscape, but for whatever reason PS wouldn't let me change it. I then went into the printer driver and changed it there, came back to PS and now it was in landscape mode.
I printed it, but it still printed as a portrait and cut off the right side of the picture. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what caused the problem?

I've been using the latest divers and firmware for the 3800 for almost a month now, with out any problems. One nice thing about the old driver is that it gave you a preview box (somewhat crude) of the picture you were about to print, the new driver doesn't give me that preview. Is that preview box now gone with the new diver, or is there a setting that will enable it?
Thanks for any help.

BTW, the original file before the crop, was landscape as well.
Bill Koenig,

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:51:34 pm »

Quote from: Bill Koenig
One nice thing about the old driver is that it gave you a preview box (somewhat crude) of the picture you were about to print, the new driver doesn't give me that preview. Is that preview box now gone with the new diver, or is there a setting that will enable it?

Are you referring to the print preview in the Adobe print dialog?  I don't think it has anything to do with the printer driver, I believe it's part of photoshop.

What OS?  I've never seen this before, sounds like something is amiss or corrupted somewhere in your setup.

Bill Koenig

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:55:14 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
Are you referring to the print preview in the Adobe print dialog?  I don't think it has anything to do with the printer driver, I believe it's part of photoshop.

What OS?  I've never seen this before, sounds like something is amiss or corrupted somewhere in your setup.

Wayne,

My OS is XP pro SP3. I agree that something could be corrupted. The problem happened on the last picture that I was printing Monday night, and I haven't had a chance to take a closer look at the problem. Tonight try again. If all else fails I'll just hit "Ctrl Alt Shift" at start up.
In regards to the preview screen, the one I'm referring to is not the screen in Photo Shop.
In the old 3800 driver that came with my two year old printer. After hitting print in PS, first a small box would briefly pop up (I think that box had something to do with data transfer to the printer) Then I would get this preview screen (this had to be part of the printer driver) The colors in this preview screen were always way off, but you could see if the everything was correct before hitting the print button on the top.
After updating the driver, I no longer see this preview screen anymore. I'll also take a closer look at that as well.

Bill Koenig,

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:51:48 pm »

There is a print preview checkbox in the printing preferences dialogue. I'm running version 6.5, but have used other versions, and the checkbox is always there and needs to be ticked.
Problems with printed orientation and scaling is the reason I print with Qimage, but I haven't come across not being able to change the orientation in the Photoshop dialogue. David

Bill Koenig

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:38:24 am »

Quote from: Taquin
There is a print preview checkbox in the printing preferences dialogue. I'm running version 6.5, but have used other versions, and the checkbox is always there and needs to be ticked.
Problems with printed orientation and scaling is the reason I print with Qimage, but I haven't come across not being able to change the orientation in the Photoshop dialogue. David

Hello Taquin,

Last night after taking a closer look at orientation problem, there seems to be a problem with file I was trying to print. After rotating 90 degrees in PS, it now printed correctly. I tried a few other files and didn't have the same orientation problem, so the file that gave me problems, for whatever reason, the orientation some how became corrupt.
Its good the hear that the print preview is still there. Even though I looked for last night, I must have missed it. To night I will take another look for the check box.
Thanks.
Bill Koenig,

jjlphoto

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:47 am »

The 3800 page set-up is touchy. There are so many fly-out menus next to each paper size (rear feeder, borderless, etc) it is easy to forget about those.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Bill Koenig

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:08 pm »

Quote from: jjlphoto
The 3800 page set-up is touchy. There are so many fly-out menus next to each paper size (rear feeder, borderless, etc) it is easy to forget about those.

John,

I totally agree, I'm not sure what Epson was thinking about in regards to the latest driver upgrade, its much more complex than the driver that it shipped with. After using it for a few weeks now, I still find my self hunting for the correct settings. I've started to save all of my settings for the papers that I use the most.
BTW, what does Micro Wave do? The default is set to "ON",  all I can say about it is that it sounds good, so that's what I have it set to, but I don't know why?
I don't remember seeing anything that explains any of the changes they made with the new driver. Please let my know if there is.
Bill Koenig,
Pages: [1]   Go Up