Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in April, suggestions pleast  (Read 8548 times)

natas

Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in April, suggestions pleast
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:08 am »

Hey guys,

Me and the wife for our 1 year anniversary are planning a road trip from Dallas Texas to Wyoming from April 9th - 17th. We plan to stay in Wyoming 3-4 days. Anyway, I was hoping I could get some suggestions on places to photograph in Wyoming and along the way. I plan to bring my Canon 5D MII and a RB67 Pro S.

framah

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:17:26 pm »

You might want to bring a snow shovel, also.  

There is always a good chance of snow at that time.
I went thru there last October and it was beautiful right up until it began to snow for 4 days straight. Upper parts of Wyoming above Yellowstone got over 4 FT of snow. I was staying outside of the west entrance and just dodged that bullet. They got over 20" the day after I left.

Other that that... my best shots came from driving the back roads of Wyoming. Sort of wandering around and discover what's around the next bend.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

natas

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »

Quote from: framah
You might want to bring a snow shovel, also.  

There is always a good chance of snow at that time.
I went thru there last October and it was beautiful right up until it began to snow for 4 days straight. Upper parts of Wyoming above Yellowstone got over 4 FT of snow. I was staying outside of the west entrance and just dodged that bullet. They got over 20" the day after I left.

Other that that... my best shots came from driving the back roads of Wyoming. Sort of wandering around and discover what's around the next bend.

Yeah I just found out that most of the roads in yellowstone are closed in April, so I may not even get a chance to visit yellowstone  Grand Tetons still look ok. What I may end up doing is spending half the time in Colorado and the other half in grand tetons national park....we will see.

framah

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »

The roads between those 2 places are the ones I'm  thinking about!!  Some really nice stuff out there.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

Quote from: natas
Yeah I just found out that most of the roads in yellowstone are closed in April...

Actually only some roads are closed in April, you can access YNP from outside the park but its sort of like going around the world to scratch your elbow. Regardless weather can be awful this time of year especially for someone used to TX weather this time of year. This will NOT be the spring weather you are used to. Currently its about 10 degrees and very winter like at the moment in the Greater Yellowstone area.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:52:34 pm »

Me and the wife for our 1 year anniversary are planning a road trip from Dallas Texas to Wyoming from April 9th - 17th. We plan to stay in Wyoming 3-4 days. Anyway, I was hoping I could get some suggestions on places to photograph in Wyoming and along the way. I plan to bring my Canon 5D MII and a RB67 Pro S.
Be advised that the passes thru the Bighorns in central Wyoming, and Beartooth and Dead Indian passes just east of the park, will be closed due to snow. Which is a shame, because those are some of the most scenic routes to Yellowstone. You might be able to get into the east entrance of the park by way of Cody, but definitely check first. The last time I tried to get in by that route it was closed for ages by avalanches. You should also check to see if the south entrance, via Dubois and Togwotee pass, is open. Google Wyoming Hyway Patrol and check road status with them.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

lightstand

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:52:55 pm »

A place I would recommend seeing on the way would be the Flaming gorge of the green river in the south. As for the time of year - I personally think you will be hitting it almost perfectly. It won't be winter but most importantly it won't be tourist season. Now that Dick Chaney is out of office I hear they have cut back on the hunters' limits to how many tourist they are allowed to bag.  Seriously you should have a lot of the main sites relatively empty. Image Old Faithful without a crowd?

whawn

• The Daily Photographâ„¢
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:58:53 pm »

Quote from: lightstand
A place I would recommend seeing on the way would be the Flaming gorge of the green river in the south. ... Seriously you should have a lot of the main sites relatively empty. Image Old Faithful without a crowd?
A terrific way of doing it -- especially if you can spend a week to ten days -- is to get off I-25 at Loveland, Colorado, head up the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park, go North through Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, then into Wyoming through Flaming Gorge and then to Pinedale and Bondurant and from there to Grand Teton and Y'stone.  Can't think of a finer tour any time of year.  

H'ever, you can always find snow somewhere along the route in April.  FWIW, we hit 13 below last night in Casper, and I don't think it's over, yet.  And one other tip:  Avoid Bob's Western Motel in (or near) Pinedale.  Just take my word for it.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

vandevanterSH

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »

Hey guys,

If you are limited to 3-4 days, I would spend it in the Jackson area.  You will have to check for road opening in Yellowstone...the second week in April is usually the transition from over-snow travel to plowed roads.  

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up