Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 65S vs. 54S noise comparison--help please  (Read 4694 times)

Tgrain

Leaf Aptus 65S vs. 54S noise comparison--help please
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:36:44 am »

I'm in the market for a medium format back and I have been testing the leaf Aptus 65S the last few days.  I'm pretty happy with the results but it may be out of my price range.  My dealer suggested an  Aptus 54S demo for a very good price ($6500), but I just looked at the specs and found out that the base ISO is 25.  That's pretty low...does anybody know or have experience with the 54S and how fast it gets noisy.  At ISO 400 the 65S was practically unusable.  Any help, thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.  I shoot mainly tabletop but my wife shoots mostly people.  We would be sharing the back.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:34:30 am »

Quote from: Tgrain
I'm in the market for a medium format back and I have been testing the leaf Aptus 65S the last few days.  I'm pretty happy with the results but it may be out of my price range.  My dealer suggested an  Aptus 54S demo for a very good price ($6500), but I just looked at the specs and found out that the base ISO is 25.  That's pretty low...does anybody know or have experience with the 54S and how fast it gets noisy.  At ISO 400 the 65S was practically unusable.  Any help, thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.  I shoot mainly tabletop but my wife shoots mostly people.  We would be sharing the back.

Hi
We have used the Aptus 22 a lot & the 54S is the same back only faster ( .90 f/s vrs 1.2 f/s ). This is a very good back & when you go above iso 100, I would go for the 65S. The reason being the Dalsa chip in the Aptus 65S is a newer generation chip. I have seen the price for the demo priced units & you can get a 75S  for about $12200.00 USD which is a very good price & the capture rate of 1.1 f/s. The 65S also has a VERY fast capture rate of about .90 f/s. Leaf has some of the fastest backs on the market.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

SeanBK

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:32:01 am »

I don't know the party involved, but I spotted on ebay 75S currently for $7600. Though the reserve is not met yet, but often it is sold after closing at below the reserve.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Leaf-Aptus-75S-Medium-...%3A1%7C294%3A50
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:35:03 am by SeanBK »

dwdmguy

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:43:33 am »

Because of my love of film and Leica I will be selling my 65s back. Purchased and delivered the first week of January. I have the receipts and it has less then 300 shots on it. I purchased as the DL-28 package, new for 14,999. Can be picked up if you wish, everything as if brand new in the new pelican case.

Make a very reasonable offer and we can figure something out. I'm in Central NJ

Thanks
Tom

Tgrain

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:44:50 am »

Quote from: dwdmguy
Because of my love of film and Leica I will be selling my 65s back. Purchased and delivered the first week of January. I have the receipts and it has less then 300 shots on it. I purchased as the DL-28 package, new for 14,999. Can be picked up if you wish, everything as if brand new in the new pelican case.

Make a very reasonable offer and we can figure something out. I'm in Central NJ

Thanks
Tom

Thank you for the offer tom, but I am not in a position to make you an offer that would be reasonable for such a new system.  

All the best,

Wolf

dwdmguy

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:35:37 am »

Thank you for the offer tom, but I am not in a position to make you an offer that would be reasonable for such a new system.  

All the best,

Wolf

Your welcome Wold and good luck. In any event this system is wonderful and you'll enjoy it when you finally (if) purchase one.

Note: anyone using the leaf: I have found that my workflow must consist of bringing the MOS raw file into LC first, editing if I wish, and then exporting out to my DAM as a Tiff. I have found a huge difference between the LC RAW and ACR RAW for this specific back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up