Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new professional web site  (Read 3140 times)

jgille

• http://www.juliengille.com
My new professional web site
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:06:55 am »

After months of work, I have finally achieved the development of my new professional web site :
http://www.juliengille.com/

Right now, it is only available in French language. But I think it is easy enough to navigate to be seen if you are not talking French.

I would be glad if you could give me your feedback on the use easiness of the site. If you like my photos, it is always a plus    

I am mainly selling fine art photography to private customers and corporations. I'm offering other services that are mainly targeted to local business.

Thanks for your feedback!

jgille

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:03:30 am »

I have updated the photo navigation in my web site.

Now, you can see the next picture of the gallery by clinking on the picture.

When the mouse cursor is over the picture, arrows are displayed to go to the previous or next picture and go back to the gallery index.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:40:04 am »

Quote from: jgille
When the mouse cursor is over the picture, arrows are displayed to go to the previous or next picture and go back to the gallery index.
That's nice, but...

You have to click on the arrow itself in order to move forwards or back, and they keep moving around. Every time I want to change photo I have to move the mouse, which is unnecessary, distracting and irritating.

The arrow keys don't work, either.

I've made these comments about other web sites and I'm beginning to suspect that (i) I'm getting to be a bore on the topic and (ii) maybe I'm the only person who cares about this. If either is true, I apologise. It just seems obvious to me that when I'm browsing images on a photographer's web site I should be able to concentrate only on the images and not on the navigation.

Jeremy

PS: On the plus side, I like the images!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:41:11 am by kikashi »

jgille

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:48:59 am »

Quote from: kikashi
That's nice, but...

You have to click on the arrow itself in order to move forwards or back, and they keep moving around. Every time I want to change photo I have to move the mouse, which is unnecessary, distracting and irritating.

Jeremy, you can click anywhere on the photo to go to the next photo, you don't have to click on the "arrow". The position of the arrows are related to the image width. If I keep the arrows always at the same place, I could have a strange look as my background is black. I will try it anyway.

Regarding, the keyboard shortcut, I will look at it in the future.

Thanks for your comments.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:11:24 pm »

That's nice, but...

I've made these comments about other web sites and I'm beginning to suspect that (i) I'm getting to be a bore on the topic and (ii) maybe I'm the only person who cares about this. If either is true, I apologise. It just seems obvious to me that when I'm browsing images on a photographer's web site I should be able to concentrate only on the images and not on the navigation.
I agree, it's very annoying, usually I click away from if navigation is poor.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:10:11 am »

Quote from: jgille
Jeremy, you can click anywhere on the photo to go to the next photo, you don't have to click on the "arrow". The position of the arrows are related to the image width. If I keep the arrows always at the same place, I could have a strange look as my background is black. I will try it anyway.
You're right. I was confused by the fact that although the arrow buttons appear when the cursor is close to, but outside, the image, clicking near, but outside, the image doesn't work: you have to click on the button.

It's also a little disconcerting that clicking anywhere in the image moves to the next one. I'd have expected that clicking on the left would go backwards.

Jeremy

LoisWakeman

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:34:05 am »

It's not just you. Your second sentence above is spot on: "don't make me think" is the mantra that good (transparent) web design/functionality should embody.

Chris_T

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:39:13 am »

Quote from: LoisWakeman
It's not just you. Your second sentence above is spot on: "don't make me think" is the mantra that good (transparent) web design/functionality should embody.

For those who missed my old thread, "Don't make me think!" is a real book that I highly recommended:

http://www.sensible.com/

This skinny little book openned my eyes about a web site's usability, and is the basis of many of my site critique comments. Most web designers seem to only focus on content and style, but miss the importance of usability. A well designed site is one that incorporates all these.

Chris_T

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:10 am »

My following comments are NOT directed at anyone specifically.

Some posters here asking for critique seem to be more interested in receiving meaningless accolades ("nice site/image") rather than actual criticisms. Only those who are genuine, thick skinned and with open minds can learn from the critics. With that in mind, I never expect anyone to agree or respond to my comments.

My comments can be objective ("that link is broken"), and subjective ("there are too many different background colors"). In either case, I try to be accurate, provide some ratinale for my likes and dislikes, however subjective, and suggest some alternatives when possible. Some may consider my comments to be opinionated, ruthless and nit picking. But as a critic, I believe I have both the right and responsibility.

BTW, my favorite movie critic is Pauline Kael. How I miss her.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:36:40 am by Chris_T »
Pages: [1]   Go Up