Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting two computers to a printer  (Read 1641 times)

Bob Boner

Connecting two computers to a printer
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:48:46 pm »

I have just gotten my first serious printer (HP Z3200, 24") and I have a question about connecting to it. For space reasons, I have to keep the printer in the basement, and my desktop (Mac Pro) on the first floor. I have a Mac laptop that I can work with next to the printer, and I connect using USB. I prefer to use my desktop for critical work, but apparently it must be connected to the printer to have access to the paper profiles for softproofing. Can I connect it to the printer using the ethernet connection and still use the Mac laptop connected with the USB cord? I know I could just try it, but I am afraid of causing some kind of major catastrophe. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate the help. TIA

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Connecting two computers to a printer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »

Quote from: Bob Boner
I have just gotten my first serious printer (HP Z3200, 24") and I have a question about connecting to it. For space reasons, I have to keep the printer in the basement, and my desktop (Mac Pro) on the first floor. I have a Mac laptop that I can work with next to the printer, and I connect using USB. I prefer to use my desktop for critical work, but apparently it must be connected to the printer to have access to the paper profiles for softproofing. Can I connect it to the printer using the ethernet connection and still use the Mac laptop connected with the USB cord? I know I could just try it, but I am afraid of causing some kind of major catastrophe. If anyone knows the answer, I would appreciate the help. TIA

I don't understand why you'd want to use USB when you have ethernet, I'd connect both computers and the printer with a hub or use your wireless router if you have one for the laptop and wired for your MacPro.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk
Pages: [1]   Go Up