Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a maximum size for image folders with LR?  (Read 1533 times)

jsch

Is there a maximum size for image folders with LR?
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:03:25 pm »

Hello,

I'm in the process to switch from Bridge to LR and have two questions:

1. Is there a maximum size for image folders with LR? Bridge behaves bad, if you have a lot of images in a folder.
2. What is better: RAWs and developed TIFFs in the same folder or in different folders?

Thanks for help.
Best,
Johannes

howardm

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:35:23 am »

I doubt you'll find a hard limit.  It's more that under most operating systems, the more files you have in a folder, the slower the OS is in doing operations in/on that folder.  At least under OSX, I don't think you'd see much native degradation w/ 1000 (maybe 2000 or more) per folder (total guess here).  After that, viewing via Finder etc might be slow and cumbersome for you to say 'gee, I should have arranged things differently'.

It's generally faster for an OS to dive deeper than it is to survey a huge flat space.

RE: #2, I would think that is personal workflow preference for file organization.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:03 am »

Re different or same folder for raws and tiff's I end up putting them in the same folder for convenience. I use the option "Edit in PS" which puts them in the same folder and can stack the raw and tiff images automatically (which is what I want). If you put them in a different folder (i.e by exporting as a tiff) you have to manually reimport and stack which is a step I'm trying to avoid.
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: [1]   Go Up