Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA Backup Setup Confusion  (Read 1861 times)

georgeollen

Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA Backup Setup Confusion
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »

After reading Michael's review of the Colorspace UDMA I bought one.  Being new to digital I was confused by the manual's Backup Setup options.  I've made three attempts by email (their live chat button does not work) to get answers from Hyperdrive but they will not answer. Will somebody help me out by answering my questions?  I need to backup some images now !  

Here are the questions:  

1.  Which verification choice provides the best verification?  Why are there three of them?  What circumstances are best for each?

2.  Which Backup Speed produces the best quality copies?  Why is there more than one speed?

3.  Does Visual Backup slow down the backup, even if previewing from the card while copying?

4.  I was told by Hyperdrive customer care that they support the Leica RAW format for their D Lux 3, but I don't see it listed in their manual as one of the formats supported for recovery.  Why was I told it is supported?  Many of my images come from this camera.

Thank you.

George Ollen

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 05:49:07 pm »

I have HyperDRIVE SPACE so I can only give partial answers.

1.  Which verification choice provides the best verification?  Why are there three of them?  What circumstances are best for each?

Full verification. To cater for three levels of speed and paranoia. Whatever the balance between speed and paranoia you need. FWIW, I use random partial verification.

If you're paranoid like me, I feel it is best to get 2 units so you have two backups of your images. That way even if one of them is a bad copy, you'll still have the second good copy. AND the second unit should save you in case of theft/loss/fire/etc. as long as you keep the 2nd unit off your person or out of office.

2.  Which Backup Speed produces the best quality copies?  Why is there more than one speed?

Most likely slowest, although I doubt there's a strong correlation between failure rates and speed. FWIW, I use fastest.

georgeollen

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:48 am »

[quote name='feppe' date='Mar 8 2009, 04:49 PM' post='265937']
I have HyperDRIVE SPACE so I can only give partial answers.

Full verification. To cater for three levels of speed and paranoia. Whatever the balance between speed and paranoia you need. FWIW, I use random partial verification.

If you're paranoid like me, I feel it is best to get 2 units so you have two backups of your images. That way even if one of them is a bad copy, you'll still have the second good copy. AND the second unit should save you in case of theft/loss/fire/etc. as long as you keep the 2nd unit off your person or out of office.

Most likely slowest, although I doubt there's a strong correlation between failure rates and speed. FWIW, I use fastest.
[/quote

WELL ....  I'D SAY WE ARE DEFINITELY LOOKING AT DIFFERENT MANUALS.  THE COLORSPACE UDMA MANUAL DOESN'T USE THE TERM "FULL VERIFICATION".  THANKS FOR THE HUMORESQUE LAYERING TO YOUR REPLY -- TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I THINK THE MONEY FOR YET ANOTHER BACKUP DEVICE WOULD BE BETTER SPENT ON GOOD WHISKY AND BAD WOMEN.

DEFINITELY LIKE THAT DESCRIPTION -- "RANDOM PARTIAL VERIFICATION" ! ! !

george ollen
Pages: [1]   Go Up