Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light Stands  (Read 7032 times)

adam z

Light Stands
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:16 am »

Dont know if this is the best place to put this  - but her it is anyway.......

I use an elinchrom octa at work (the big one (7ft?)) and  I am thinking about getting one for myself. I dont like the Manfrotto boom stand we are using it on, I don't know the model, it works but is a bit weak IMO. So I want to know what would be the best stand to use for such a large light bank. I think a boom would be ideal so it can be used directly above the subject from time to time. I need another stand also, so again something that would support the big octa easily would be best. It will be used both in studio and for location work, so this is something else that will need to be considered.

I am also after a tripod for use both for some studio/location work and for landscapes - thinking about the Gitzo GT 3530 LS legs, with either Arca Swiss Z1 or RRS BH-55 head. Any advice, or alternatives to look into - or experience with these products that you can share with me?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
Light Stands
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:10:38 am »

I have been very happy with the Octa and Super Boom combination. I usually take the boom arm off and use the legs only. The Elinchrom connection is rather weak and I replaced it with a Mathews knuckle and then insert the larger Mathews post into the Super Boom legs and add set weights to the base for stability. If you are looking for a more weighty base, I would look at the Mathews Baby Roller or heavier stand.  

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Light Stands
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:25:57 am »

I used an Octa with the Elinchrom polystand. Very nice combination, IMO.

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Light Stands
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »

Polystand also here, very nice stand.

BobDavid

Light Stands
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »

Quote from: tcphoto
I have been very happy with the Octa and Super Boom combination. I usually take the boom arm off and use the legs only. The Elinchrom connection is rather weak and I replaced it with a Mathews knuckle and then insert the larger Mathews post into the Super Boom legs and add set weights to the base for stability. If you are looking for a more weighty base, I would look at the Mathews Baby Roller or heavier stand.

Ditto. The super boom legs weighted down are fine. I take the boom off.

PLLove

Light Stands
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

Quote from: Frank Doorhof
Polystand also here, very nice stand.

Does anyone know if the polystand is available in the US?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Light Stands
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 06:27:47 pm »

Octa with cheap light stand. I have hand-carried octa+stand+monolight+cameras quite frequently.
I guess if you want to lift the octa high and tilt it you ned a heavy stand.

Edmund
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:28:38 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

adam z

Light Stands
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:42:47 pm »

I will look into both the Polystand and the Super Boom, who makes the latter?

Sounds like a good idea replacing the connector, as they certainly seem like they are only just strong enough - I much prefer everythiing to be solid so there is no chance of anything going on.

Thanks all.

dfarkas

• http://www.leicastoremiami.com
Light Stands
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »

For location work, the Avenger D600 boom is hard to beat. It holds a lot of weight, collapses for transport without assembly, is weather-resistant, and requires no clumsy counter-weight. Use it with the Avenger E200 spigot adapter in a Manfrotto 007CSU (for something sturdy and tall) or with a Manfrotto 070CSU for something stable but with a lower minimum height. If you mount the EL Octa to the 070CSU directly to the 070CSU without the boom, the bottom edge of the Octa will be about an inch off the floor - perfect for full-length portraiture. And, no sandbags required.

Hope this helps.

David

David Farkas
Leica Store Miami
www.leicastoremiami.com

Check out Red Dot Forum for Leica news, reviews, blogs and discussion

TMARK

Light Stands
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:31:06 am »

Quote from: dfarkas
For location work, the Avenger D600 boom is hard to beat. It holds a lot of weight, collapses for transport without assembly, is weather-resistant, and requires no clumsy counter-weight. Use it with the Avenger E200 spigot adapter in a Manfrotto 007CSU (for something sturdy and tall) or with a Manfrotto 070CSU for something stable but with a lower minimum height. If you mount the EL Octa to the 070CSU directly to the 070CSU without the boom, the bottom edge of the Octa will be about an inch off the floor - perfect for full-length portraiture. And, no sandbags required.

Hope this helps.

David

D600 Boom on a baby roller.  If using fairly flat and straight, a C-Stand, a knuckle, a 20" hollywood arm, then the Octa modified with a knuckle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up