Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Heroes  (Read 17303 times)

Rob C

Heroes
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:03:12 am »

I was cleaning out the fireplace this morning, just after reading some of the latest rubbish about photographic integrity, when my mind wandered off into thinking of ways by which I might be able to avoid the chore of cleaning said fireplace. In the process, the mind (mine) tuned in to an image of Superman. Now he, I thought, would fix this for me at once - must see about getting in touch. Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Let´s face it: anybody who can fly, has unlimited strength, can pop in and out of telephone booths with all the ease of Doctor Who damn well should be able to do all the things that he does. Where is the heroic element? Doesn´t heroism depend on risk to the hero?

Rob C

PS Let´s not allow this to become the CanNik war of the over-muscled.

mahleu

• 500px
Heroes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:02:20 am »

I think that's the difference between superhero and hero. A superhero has powers where as a hero does heroic things?

DarkPenguin

Heroes
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
I was cleaning out the fireplace this morning, just after reading some of the latest rubbish about photographic integrity, when my mind wandered off into thinking of ways by which I might be able to avoid the chore of cleaning said fireplace. In the process, the mind (mine) tuned in to an image of Superman. Now he, I thought, would fix this for me at once - must see about getting in touch. Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Let´s face it: anybody who can fly, has unlimited strength, can pop in and out of telephone booths with all the ease of Doctor Who damn well should be able to do all the things that he does. Where is the heroic element? Doesn´t heroism depend on risk to the hero?

Anyone who can do all that can damn well be called whatever he wants to be called.

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:36:06 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Anyone who can do all that can damn well be called whatever he wants to be called.

You have a point. I used to have a yen for Mary Marvel; I wonder if she was big in Japan?

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »

Then the idea morphed into another; why the hell should he be considered a great American (okay, Krypton is no more, so it COULD have been American - we shall never know) Hero?

Rob C

PS Let´s not allow this to become the CanNik war of the over-muscled.

American? I thought he was an illegal alien.

Tom Brown

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:03 am »

Quote from: tom  b
American? I thought he was an illegal alien.

Now that´s the problem: was he illegal? I think that according to international conventions, if your planet blows up, then you are entitled to become a refugee; it´s being an economic refugee that is illegal, unless, of course, you hop over the English Channel on the back of a truck and a bleedin´ heart lawyer takes you under her wing.

You are not allowed to call an alien an alien; that could be damaging to his/her self-esteem.

Rob C

dalethorn

Heroes
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »

Superman?  Yeah, he's OK.

EasyEd

Heroes
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:06 pm »

Hey All,

John Wayne

Nothing more ever needs to be said.

-Ed-

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:45:48 am »

Quote from: EasyEd
Hey All,

John Wayne

-Ed-

Sorry, he doesn´t qualify: you could always see him trying to think - held him back.

Rob C

dalethorn

Heroes
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:40:05 pm »

Hey All,
John Wayne
-Ed-

Visiting a couple years ago with Navajo relatives in Dennehotso AZ - grandpa had a large framed portrait of The Duke on his living room wall.  I don't know if this was just some fan appreciation, or whether Wayne visited there during filming (grandpa speaks only Navajo so I didn't ask), but what I see from several of his movies is a good character who appreciates people and brings out the best in them.  Except for the bad guys, of course.

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:29 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Superman?  Yeah, he's OK.

Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit: the ´bra section is for a tiny lady which she clearly is not; the body part is for a somewhat different set of rib structures... This is NOT the stuff of Superheroes and certainly couldn´t have come from Central Casting.

Rob C

dalethorn

Heroes
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:45:25 pm »

Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit: the ´bra section is for a tiny lady which she clearly is not; the body part is for a somewhat different set of rib structures... This is NOT the stuff of Superheroes and certainly couldn´t have come from Central Casting.
Rob C

This casting was more like unemployed-artist-gets-girlfriend-in-costume and has her doing the tips-and-photos bit in front of Mann's Chinese on H'Wood Blvd.

It's amusing - the would-be actors expect to post with you in the photos - they don't understand if you just want a photo of them.  Sure I'd pose with Rambo or Ozzie, but I would not look good next to her.

Pictured: Batman didn't survive the leap.

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:05 pm »

Sorry, double post. A bit like following somebody from the front, if you see what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:02:50 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »

Pictured: Batman didn't survive the leap.

That´s because he has a boyfriend called Bruce. Waddyawant for your money?

Rob C

PS As an aside, can  you explain  the tips-and-photos bit for a non-LA person?  Is it something like musicians playing in the street or subway, or have I just completely missed what´s going on?

dalethorn

Heroes
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 04:45:40 pm »

That´s because he has a boyfriend called Bruce. Waddyawant for your money?
Rob C
PS As an aside, can  you explain  the tips-and-photos bit for a non-LA person?  Is it something like musicians playing in the street or subway, or have I just completely missed what´s going on?

Very much like street musicians, except they have agents who are often close by, especially for acts like Wonder Woman.  The Chinese theatre has a sign in front "Actors are not associated with this theatre etc.", but despite not being associated with any visible business, the actors maintain a long-time presence in a very competitive area.

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »

but despite not being associated with any visible business, the actors maintain a long-time presence in a very competitive area.

This makes them very similar to some famous photographers also with no visible means of support!

Rob C

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Heroes
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »

Speaking as an ex-fashion snapper, and hoping that I offend nobody, the top that Mrs Superman is wearing is an extremely poor fit.
Mrs Superman!?    I think you may offend fans of Wonder Woman as will her lack of bracelets in the costume.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:40:56 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

EasyEd

Heroes
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 01:37:46 am »

Hey All,

I've no doubt you were smiling when you said this - Pilgrim.

Sorry, he doesn´t qualify: you could always see him trying to think - held him back.

Rob C

Wayne was one H E double toothpicks of a smart man who could hold his own in any political/social debate. I personally didn't always agree with his views but he correctly defined the word "man" in a way that Hollywood rarely does today. That makes him a genuine bonafide Hero.

-Ed-

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 05:19:02 am »

Hey All,

I've no doubt you were smiling when you said this - Pilgrim.

Wayne was one H E double toothpicks of a smart man who could hold his own in any political/social debate. I personally didn't always agree with his views but he correctly defined the word "man" in a way that Hollywood rarely does today. That makes him a genuine bonafide Hero.

-Ed-

Well that makes you an even greater hero: you KNEW him! I didn´t even know Lloyd George.

Rob C

Rob C

Heroes
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:02 am »

Quote from: jjj
Mrs Superman!?    I think you may offend fans of Wonder Woman as will her lack of bracelets in the costume.

Futt Futt, I was but trying to protect the lady´s honour: she was being quoted about Superman and how would she know how he was unless she´d had intimate err - dealings with him?

Now you have stripped her of her mask (metaphorically speaking) and the world knows of her indiscretion! - I´d hoped nobody would have recognized her during the pavement interview. How cruel!

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up