Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Better "Hiking" Backpack  (Read 5695 times)

marcmccalmont

A Better "Hiking" Backpack
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »

There is always a debate on what is a good photo backpack. The arguments go back and forth but for long walks and hiking a camping backpack that sits up high, has proper stays and transfers the load to your hips is much better than a "photo" backpack riding low off your shoulders,  sitting on your hips. I used a Photobackpacker Kelty backpack with my 4x5 camera and it worked great. I modified another Photobackpacker Kelty with the insides of a Tenba shootout for my Mamiya medium format camera. It worked out well. So now I wanted a backpack for my DSLR so after some research I came up with the following:
Kelty Redwing 2650 modified by the Photobackpacker
http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp
And a Think tank Airport lightweight version 1
http://www.georgescamera.com/products.html...3:Section:Specs
I hope this helps those of you like me that actually want to hike with your backpack not just carry it to your car or the airport!
Marc
[attachment=11966:IMG_0423.jpg][attachment=11967:IMG_0424.jpg][attachment=11968:
IMG_0425.jpg]

Marc McCalmont

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:45:18 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
There is always a debate on what is a good photo backpack. The arguments go back and forth but for long walks and hiking a camping backpack that sits up high, has proper stays and transfers the load to your hips is much better than a "photo" backpack riding low off your shoulders,  sitting on your hips.

Agreed 100%, which is why I always trek with Regular Osprey packs in which I store in photo gear in individual padded pouches.

Cheers,
Bernard

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 12:29:30 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Agreed 100%, which is why I always trek with Regular Osprey packs in which I store in photo gear in individual padded pouches.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ditto on the Osprey pack.  I put a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 30 and some misc pouches inside an Osprey Atmos 30 Pack.  If you really do any miles, it is essential.

Nice work on the Kelty Redwing and Thinktank Airport fusion.  I assume you can easily still use the Airport when you need to.  I wish more companies made better modular stuff to put in whatever pack you want.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

nairb

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »

You should check out fstopgear This is a link to their old Satori which is due to be replaced in April.

It's a 63L pack with a removable internal camera compartment which should be long enough to accommodate a d3/d300 with 200-400 attached. They have 3 or 4 different sized camera compartments available and they have several smaller packs as well.

I have one on pre-order for the old models price. It appears to be just what I've been looking for to do hiking, snowshoeing and ski tours with. Big enough to hold a bit of camera gear and some hiking gear as well.

I'm using a Dakine sequence now mostly for photographing cat skiers but it holds little more than camera equipment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13818761@N07/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:26:30 pm by nairb »

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:37:24 am »

Quote from: fike
Nice work on the Kelty Redwing and Thinktank Airport fusion.  I assume you can easily still use the Airport when you need to.  I wish more companies made better modular stuff to put in whatever pack you want.
Think Tank supply you with so many extra dividers that you can equip half a dozen "custom" packs without cannibalising your original TT bag :-)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:46 am »

Fstop Gear looks really great!  I wish I would be able to try-on the pack.  To get a real good fit, you really need to try-on a pack like you would a pair of shoes.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

nairb

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 12:31:55 pm »

They have a 45 day full refund policy. If not satisfied "for any reason", you just have to cover return shipping if you don't like the pack. I found them talking about this on their twitter page the other day.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up