Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on Peak District in May  (Read 5597 times)

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
Advise on Peak District in May
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:55:42 pm »

Hi all,

I'm off the Peak Districts in May and have been researching the area. Ideally, I would like to concentrate my visit to a few locations rather than spread myself too wide so I can have plenty of time to contemplate my shots. So far I have found a list of places to visit (compiled by a photo mag a few years back). If anyone has any recommendations on which of the list to spend more time at or even some hidden gems not on the list, please let me know. I will be based in Castleton.

1. Mam Tor and Hope Valley
2. Padley Gorge
3. Alport Castles
4. Lyme Hall and Cage
5. Lathkill Dale and Over Haddon
6. Stanage Edge
7. Leash Fen
8. Chrome and Packhouse Hills
9. The Roaches and Hen Cloud
10. Crowden Valley
11. Upper Dovedale
12. Goyt Valley
13. Curbar Edge
14. Luds Church
15. Rockhall Cottage
16. Fairbrook
17. Howden Dam
18. Peters Stone
19. Kinder Scout
20. Arbor Low Stone Castle
21. Millers Dale
22. Back Tor
23. Higger Tor
24. Three Shires Head
25. Winnat's Pass

Thanks,

Andy

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:45:46 am »

If based in Castleton and you don't want to travel far, then you still have loads of choices of wonderful locations to concentrate on. Despite the name Peak District, the highest peak is 631m above sea level (Crowden Head on Kinder) so you will not see big mountains, but nonetheless there are some great hills!

My top five suggestions:

1. The Great Ridge. From Mam Tor which rises above Castleton along the ridge to Lose Hill. Some great views from here across to Kinder, Win Hill, etc.

2. Kinder Scout. This is at its most dramatic in what little snow we get or when it's freezing - Kinder Downfall frozen is quite a picture, although in May it will be flowing well. Take a compass though and follow the footpaths or you'll get lost in the peat on the top. Brilliant walks and views.

3. The gritstone edges. There is about 30 miles of millstone grit that has risen about the Derbyshire limestone to give some fairly dramatic escarpments between Howden in the north all the way to Chatsworth and Beeley in the east of the area. Favourites are Derwent Edge (above the reservoirs - Ladybower, Derwent, Howden), Stanage Edge, Froggatt Edge and Curbar Edge (the last two join almost seamlessly). Bamford Edge is also marvellous - not for its own geology, although its certainly not boring, but I think provides the best views in Derbyshire. These edges are well positioned for sun setting - they are lit up beautifully and simply glow as the sun drops. In shadow at sunrise though!

4. Padley Gorge. You must see this as it is an absolute gem, but go mid-week and preferably when it's bright but cloudy. This is a beautiful wooded gorge that runs down from the Longshaw Estate to Grindleford.

5. Lathkill Dale is another gem and quite beautiful. Quite a contrast from much of the millstone grit of the Dark Peak above as it runs through a limestone gorge (part of the White Peak area).

I cover a lot of the above on my website but also check others in the area including Fran Halsall, Karen Frenkel, Dave Butcher.

One of the great things about the Peak District is that it is not huge and you can cover quite a lot, but the downside is there's far too much to see! If you want to see Derbyshire customs May isn't the best time - well dressings start in May and really get going a little later (see www.welldressing.com) Also get to see Haddon Hall and Chatsworth House (and Gardens) if you like stately homes.

Let me know if you want further picks or suggestions,

Pete Truman

250swb

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:23 pm »

I'd generally concur with what Pete has said.

Early or late light for the gritstone edges (Stanage, Curbar, Derwent etc) or around Mam Tor is usually best. So that leaves the rest of the day. Personally I think Padley Gorge is a bit overdone, but a trip to Chatsworth House gardens gives a massive choice of photo opportunities.

As a local I'd recommend Stanton Moor near Birchover, Robin Hoods Stride on Harthill Moor near Alport, and Magpie Mine near Sheldon as good places to visit, over and above some of the places you have on your list. Stanton Moor has the 'Nine Ladies' stone circle, massive views from the plateau, and lots of large and small abandoned overgrown quarries down the western edge. Robin Hoods Stride again has great views, intersting rock formations and 'Nine Stone Close' stone circle nearby. You could link these stone circles in with Arbor Low henge monument. But these are more 'initmate' areas to explore so it depends what you are after.

It is worth checking the Peak District groups on Flickr for some ideas, and I have a load of Peak District photo's of one sort or another on my Flickr photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Steve
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 06:55:13 pm by 250swb »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:07 am »

May I just say that I am envious. The Peak District is one of my favorite places in the world.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

futura

• http://www.andrew-chang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:26 am »

Thanks for your detailed replies. I'm in currently in the process of sorting out my itinerary for the long weekend that we are there. I think rather than fit too much in, I will use these few days as more of a reconnaissance, then plan a longer trip during the autumn time when the rustic colours are out.

I'll also need to work out which locations as best for sunrises/sets in May time, so if anyone has some info to add to this - great. I will have a compass and iphone focalware app to help with planning my shots, but it would be good to know ahead of time.

250swb

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:34:41 pm »

As you are based in Castleton on top of Mam Tor, or on the Great Ridge or Rushup Edge would be good for sunrise. The long grit stone edges like Stanage Edge and Curbar Edge/Froggat Edge all run roughly north to south (or NW to SE being picky) so these are probably better for sunset.

If you only have a weekend you will be fully engrossed by the area around Castleton. Climb up to Peveril Castle, and visit the Devils Arse, and have a walk up Cave Dale. If you staying towards the end of May then Castleton Garland Ceremony is on Friday the 29th.

Steve

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 09:38:50 pm »

Quote from: Kirk Gittings
May I just say that I am envious. The Peak District is one of my favorite places in the world.
I shouldn't mention that  is a very nice cycle ride through the parks to get there for me then should I?  
Though I imagine it's a lot less damp where you live and also incredibly beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:58:36 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »

Quote from: 250swb
If you only have a weekend you will be fully engrossed by the area around Castleton. Climb up to Peveril Castle, and visit the Devils Arse, and have a walk up Cave Dale.
And the next day, maybe pop over to the next valley and go up onto Kinder Scout behind Edale. That way you won't waste time travelling between places.

Make sure you get a OS 1:25,000 Dark Peak map, so you can easily see terrain detail, paths and locations.

If you look at Castleton on Google maps with the terrain view enabled, you get a very good idea of the lay of the land.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up