Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New iMac24 or Mac Pro  (Read 2137 times)

salezn

• http://
New iMac24 or Mac Pro
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:06 am »

Last year got the new Canon 5dm2.  Realized with the video alone, time to switch to Mac.  All along thinking iMac 24 would be fine.  Now that I start frequenting Mac/Photo sites, I have become uncertain as to how good the panel on the new iMac 24 will be for serious still photo editing.

For context, I have a Canon 5d and 5dm2, and a desire to retire from my day job in a few years and supplement my retirement through Landscape photography.

Money-wise, my company has a substantial computer purchase assistance program, but found out they won't reimburse for monitors over 22".  They consider an iMac24 as an item that does not qualify.  A Mac Pro would (not the monitor though).

A base Mac Pro with 6GB and ATI Radeon, after rebate very close in price to the iMac24 without a rebate (but still need a monitor).

If the new iMac24 is a editing platform for serious use, then I don't have to consider Mac Pro.

If it isn't, and I decide to get Mac Pro, what monitor around $1k would be a reasonable choice?

I would value any thoughts on my quandry.

Thanks!

Nelson Salez

etrexler

New iMac24 or Mac Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:19 pm »

I use an older 24" iMac and love it.  The Mac Pro has its advantages, but the iMac does too.  I find the screen just fine for editing.  I had the same decision a few years ago and I figured that I'd just replace the iMac every three years.  Cheaper and better in the long run for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Eric

Quote from: salezn
Last year got the new Canon 5dm2.  Realized with the video alone, time to switch to Mac.  All along thinking iMac 24 would be fine.  Now that I start frequenting Mac/Photo sites, I have become uncertain as to how good the panel on the new iMac 24 will be for serious still photo editing.

For context, I have a Canon 5d and 5dm2, and a desire to retire from my day job in a few years and supplement my retirement through Landscape photography.

Money-wise, my company has a substantial computer purchase assistance program, but found out they won't reimburse for monitors over 22".  They consider an iMac24 as an item that does not qualify.  A Mac Pro would (not the monitor though).

A base Mac Pro with 6GB and ATI Radeon, after rebate very close in price to the iMac24 without a rebate (but still need a monitor).

If the new iMac24 is a editing platform for serious use, then I don't have to consider Mac Pro.

If it isn't, and I decide to get Mac Pro, what monitor around $1k would be a reasonable choice?

I would value any thoughts on my quandry.

Thanks!

Nelson Salez

petermarrek

New iMac24 or Mac Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:58 am »

You will definately enjoy working with the MacPro.Would consider a refurb, the difference can buy a bit more RAM. My thought is better a few steps ahead than behind. An NEC 2690 wuxi (refurbs can be had for under $500.00 plus calibration tools and you can be a very happy guy. Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up