Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael and 5dII  (Read 17751 times)

BJL

Michael and 5dII
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »

Quote from: harlemshooter
just curious, what does "former mf territory" mean?  

if you referring to those converts who previously used MF for medium prints (say 20x30 with 240+ dpi) who are now using the d3x ...
I did mean those "MF to D3X" users, plus the ones for whom an even smaller and lower-priced "D700X" might increase the attraction. I was merely pointing to  a trend, not assessing the wisdom of that trend; I am in no position to debate your reason for preferring MF. But when asserting the advantages of larger sensor area, take account of the significant technological differences between the CMOS sensors of Nikon, Canon and Sony DSLRs and the Full Frame type CCD's of current DMF options.

harlemshooter

Michael and 5dII
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:56 pm »

i hear you.  i think we'd agree it is really an engineering question, a matter of manufacturing process development and optimization before cmos replaces ccd in medium and large format as well.  who knows how long it will take given r&d budget cuts.

see table bottom of page 3 here:
http://www.dalsa.com/shared/content/pdfs/C...willer_2005.pdf

Quote from: BJL
But when asserting the advantages of larger sensor area, take account of the significant technological differences between the CMOS sensors of Nikon, Canon and Sony DSLRs and the Full Frame type CCD's of current DMF options.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:28:44 pm by harlemshooter »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up