Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: digital wallet vs. laptop  (Read 4437 times)

digital wallet vs. laptop
« on: March 01, 2003, 08:12:19 am »

Digital wallets are convenient but suffer in a few areas compared to a subminiature notebook (which I now use).

They have short battery life; usually 2 cards maximum transfer. They have either no screen, or a very small screen for review. If they do have a screen they can be slow to display. Not all units can read RAW files from various cameras. They have finite storage capacity.

A sub-notebook computer isn't that much larger, has a relatively large screen and much longer battery life; 6-10 1GB cards on a charge. Also, the one I use, the Fujitsu Lifebook, has a CD-R writer and therefore effectively unlimited capacity for long trips.

Of course a computer as a wallet also doubles as a computer. E-mail on the road, working on files, making notes, etc.

If a devices isn't designed for digital image storage (like an Ipod) it can't be used for such.

Michael

Jan Brittenson

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 03:14:29 pm »

You can carry a digital wallet in a fanny pack or west pocket.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 03:08:11 pm »

Also I think the new portable HDs will use firewire or USB 2.0 and presumably what now takes 20 minutes to dl a 1gig MD to my x's drive will only take about 5 minutes so I'll be able to get probably 8 or 9 full downloads before I run into a battery issue (which isn't a problem in any event with the cigarette lighter plug in I have - well maybe for the kind of Grand Canyon trip MR did recently).  At just over $200US, my portable harddrive is very economical...  On a trip I can sleep at night instead of work on pictures

R.A.B.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 07:02:53 pm »

Would anyone like to extoll on the advantages of digital wallets or laptops? Can an I pod device do multiple duty(music for the trip, photos,backup harddrive)?

bobtrips

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 11:46:26 pm »

A couple of points...

I think that you might be generalizing about battery life.  My experience with a Image Bank is that I get many transfers per set of batteries.  I believe that someone on dpreview did a test and was able to download around 5 gigs per set of NiMHs.

If the opportunity to recharge is rare one can use disposable lithiums for extended performance.

A 20 gig Image Bank is about $160US, approximately 1/10th the price of a basic laptop.  

You can install a 60 gig HD in the IB which gives you an incredible amount of storage for the money.  Or go with a couple of 20/40/60 gig IBs for redundency.

OK, more than a couple of points...

A PHD is much smaller and lighter than a laptop.  I sometimes stick mine in my bag if I suspect that I might fill all my cards.

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2003, 11:50:54 am »

Delkin has just released a DC power adapter for the automobile cigarette lighter plug, which will power or recharge the eFilm pads. This addresses one of my disappoints with the wallet device, that is, the inability to charge the drive in the field. My early tests suggest almost, but not quite, three one-way transfers from a full 1GB CF card on a single charge. This is with a new battery, mind you. So the charger will be useful for some.

John Caldwell

michael de kooter

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 07:47:10 pm »

I have used various mini-notebooks and ultra-portables for image storage....well to be precise, for image storage, on-site reviewing of image details, and evening-time editing / organising of images to lessen the amount of time having to do that at home.

Currently I own a Compaq EVO N200, which has a 10" TFT screen (1024 * 786), 20 GB harddisk, 196 Mb of memory, and a P3-700 w/512kb of cache. Quiet a blistering little notebook, weighing in at a measle 1.2 Kilo's.

Batterylife is average, but I purchased a converter to plug it into the car's 12v socket.

Before this one, I owned various Toshiba Libretto's, which are really only suited for image storage and catalogueing them, but not for editing (like I still ocasionally do on my EVO N200) . These little buggers are about as big as a videotape, and weigh in at 750-900 grams, depending on the model.

Mostly available on the second hand market, costing very little.

Models of interest are the Libretto 50 and up. (pentium class). The fastest one of the "old" s tyle librettos is the Libretto 110 CDT (233 Intel Pentium MMx) .

I transfer images through PCMCIA adapters for optimum speed..the media I read from are the limit, not the connection used.

Also, a funky feature, is using your little mini-notebook for remote shooting. Purchasing a 5 yard Firewirecable, and having your S2 shoot away at a distance, in the field, for all kinds of purposes and wicked experimental styles is wonderfull. (small animal photography etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up