Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling auto TIF creation in 2.3  (Read 2678 times)

itopia

Disabling auto TIF creation in 2.3
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:29 pm »

I am running LR 2.3 with CS3.  LR2.3 automatically creates a TIF when I edit a RAW file
into CS3.  I thought LR was supposed to create the file ONLY if you saved the TIF.
I've looked at the preferences but couldn't find the option to toggle off the file creation.

How do I suppress this "feature"?

Thanks.

howardm

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:07:56 am »

I think your thinking is not correct.  LR will render the raw image and all it can then do is output that rendered image for use by CS3.  TIFF is how it does that.  There is no invisible pipeline or in-place editing of the raw itself.  it (LR) makes what boils down to a temporary file so that CS3 can import it.  On the inbound side, LR can take back in PSD as a result of CS3 round-tripping.

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:39:33 am »

If you have CS4 with the up-to-date ACR LR doesn't have to create and save the file first. It makes the file when you Save in PS.

TomJB

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:44:17 pm »

Quote from: itopia
I am running LR 2.3 with CS3.  LR2.3 automatically creates a TIF when I edit a RAW file
into CS3.  I thought LR was supposed to create the file ONLY if you saved the TIF.
I've looked at the preferences but couldn't find the option to toggle off the file creation.

Thanks.

"...edit a RAW file into CS3."  It may be you know how to do something I don't know how to do, and that this doesn't answer your question.  But, here's what I do:  I export from LR andin the Export window that comes up, the third section down is File Settings.  There I tell it to create a 16 bit, AdobeRGB (1998), .PSD file.  Then I open that in CS.

Hopr that is of some help.   - TomJB

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »

Quote from: itopia

Thanks.

I believe this only works with CS4.  With CS3, LR must render and save a file to disk, which is then opened with PS.  With CS4, the file is a temporary file (as though you opened the RAW in ACR and then into Photoshop), and the file is only saved if you save it.

pflower

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:24:44 pm »

I'm still running 2.1 but it works for me with CS3.

On going to photo/edit in/ps3 the dialog box says that Camera Raw 4.6 is required for full compatibility but gives 3 options.  Cancel, Render in Lightroom (which renders out a tiff) or Open Anyway.  Choosing Open Anyway opens the Raw file in PS3.  Presumably any corrections made in Lightroom which are only available in Camera Raw 4.6 will be ignored.  But I can still open the Raw file in PS3.  

Running on Mac OSX 10.4.11 if that makes any difference.

Philip

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I believe this only works with CS4.  With CS3, LR must render and save a file to disk, which is then opened with PS.  With CS4, the file is a temporary file (as though you opened the RAW in ACR and then into Photoshop), and the file is only saved if you save it.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 06:07:37 pm »

Quote from: pflower
I'm still running 2.1 but it works for me with CS3.

On going to photo/edit in/ps3 the dialog box says that Camera Raw 4.6 is required for full compatibility but gives 3 options.  Cancel, Render in Lightroom (which renders out a tiff) or Open Anyway.  Choosing Open Anyway opens the Raw file in PS3.  Presumably any corrections made in Lightroom which are only available in Camera Raw 4.6 will be ignored.  But I can still open the Raw file in PS3.  

Running on Mac OSX 10.4.11 if that makes any difference.

Philip

I see no such options with LR 2.2 opening a file into CS3.  The dialog box attached is all I see, with only one option whether the file is from a 1DsMark3 (supported in CS3/ACR4.x), or from a 5DMk2, not supported in CS3/ACR4.x.

I don't remember seeing a change from 2.1 to 2.2, but to be honest I was probably already to CS4 by then anyway, and this was the first time I recall ever not having to pre-render a tiff when opening in PS.

The "Open Anyway" option you mentioned might have allowed the ability to open to CS3 via ACR 4.x which wouldn't have required a psd/tiff conversion first, and if LR was writing to .xmp sidecar files, the LR changes would have still been there. But  I can't see anyway to enable any functionality similar.

From what I can see with LR 2.2 and later,  the only option to open directly into CS3 is a rendered psd/tiff.  If LR is writing to .xmp sidecar files, you could certainly open the file from the finder into ACR/CS3 and not have to render the file ... (kind of a kludge I know).

[attachment=12009:CS3Dialog.jpg]
Pages: [1]   Go Up