Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emerald Lake  (Read 1553 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
Emerald Lake
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:56:18 am »

I really like this spot and have pulled out a selection of photos from 2004 or later (finally).  Most were taken with my Rebel 300 and I noticed some blotchy crap across most of them  (like dust on the senors) which I tried to heal out as best I could.  Constructive criticisms about the aesthetic qualities/composition are appreciated as will be advice on improving the technical aspects (big learning curve still for me with ACR and CS3).

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

These first 3 taken using the Rebel 300 with kit lens (18-55mm)
[attachment=12173:Mt._Burg...ter_2004.jpg][attachment=12175:Emerald_...k_Outlet.
jpg][attachment=12172:Emerald_Lake_Rink.jpg]

This one shot with Rebel 300 and the 10-22 mm lens
[attachment=12174:Emerald_...ber_2006.jpg]

Panorama shot with 40D and 10-22 mm lens.
5 shots taken using Nodal Nija 5 pano-head and stitched using PTGUI.  Some tone-mapping applied with Photomatix (I tried to keep it subtle, though I admit I really like the cranked up version)
[attachment=12176:Cilantro_Panorama.jpg]

[Edit - resubmitted photos saved as sRGB - resulting in better colour - as per advice from Julie on another topic]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:36:42 am by AndrewKulin »
[size=12p

dalethorn

Emerald Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:05 pm »

The first is good - if it were mine I'd crop some of the plain white area off the bottom - not enough texture there. The haze or fog at top works well.

The fourth image has enough dark area to allow a lot of cropping variations - try some.

The fifth I don't quite relate to, for some reason. The colors are nice, and the trees and mountain are picturesque, but I can't quite balance that with the building. Maybe some cropping there too.

Overall, some really good material to experiment with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up