Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fixing Tiny White Spots  (Read 4585 times)

artiste

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »

Hi
  I have a Canon ipf5000 and I'm printing on BC's velvet paper and chromata canvas.
I keep my work area as dust free as I can, and I get as much lint off the media as I can before I put it into the printer. But every once in awhile a piece of dirt will get into the printer, leaving a tiny white spot on the print where the ink didn't adhere. Usually in a place where it's very noticeable, like on an area of solid color.

I'd like to know what other people do to deal with these - I hate to throw out an otherwise perfectly good print for one tiny white spot. On the paper prints I have already tried to cover the spot with a matching colored pencil, but it left a shiny 'burnished' area that was too obvious. Then I tried a little watercolor paint, but it left a water-ring 'bleed' mark around the spot, again looking worse than before.

So if anyone has any tips or tricks they use to deal with these annoying little white accidents, I'd appreciate your input!

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »

Quote from: artiste
Hi
  I have a Canon ipf5000 and I'm printing on BC's velvet paper and chromata canvas.
I keep my work area as dust free as I can, and I get as much lint off the media as I can before I put it into the printer. But every once in awhile a piece of dirt will get into the printer, leaving a tiny white spot on the print where the ink didn't adhere. Usually in a place where it's very noticeable, like on an area of solid color.

I'd like to know what other people do to deal with these - I hate to throw out an otherwise perfectly good print for one tiny white spot. On the paper prints I have already tried to cover the spot with a matching colored pencil, but it left a shiny 'burnished' area that was too obvious. Then I tried a little watercolor paint, but it left a water-ring 'bleed' mark around the spot, again looking worse than before.

So if anyone has any tips or tricks they use to deal with these annoying little white accidents, I'd appreciate your input!

Photoshop the exact spot several times and print on the back of a sheet of ilford gloss or pearl (ink won't stick) - chew the end of a toothpick and dab the actual ink on the spot lost - works pretty good - but always difficult.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

jpgentry

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »

I know your problem well.  To solve it just switch to a different company like Fredrix for canvas.  BC has always flaked on me and Fredrix never has.

artiste

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:11 am »

Quote from: Mark Lindquist
Photoshop the exact spot several times and print on the back of a sheet of ilford gloss or pearl (ink won't stick) - chew the end of a toothpick and dab the actual ink on the spot lost - works pretty good - but always difficult.

Thanks, that sounds like it might work for me!

Quote from: jpgentry
I know your problem well.  To solve it just switch to a different company like Fredrix for canvas.  BC has always flaked on me and Fredrix never has.

So the actual coating on your BC canvas was flaking off and left white spots? I haven't had that happen (yet) My problem happens most often with their paper - when random dust motes get on the paper so the ink sprays on them instead of the paper surface, and then they fall off leaving a white spot. Thanks for the warning about the canvas surface, though!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:27 am »

On the BCW canvas, you can also consider using the dye sets from Marshalls.  They are intended for coloring B&W photos, but
will work very well to fix the spots you mentioned.  You can also use these same dyes on the Optica 1 paper.  Marshalls makes
3 color sets I know of and and series of grey and blacks.  I have one of the grey and black sets and all three of the color
sets.  With the color set, you can blend pretty much any color you need, at least I have not found a limit yet.   However the
other post on reprinting on the back of another paper and using the ink, is a new idea for me.

I am assuming you are using the MK inks.  But these same dyes will work on the PK inks.

As to the flakes, I don't think it has anything to do with the brand, but instead it's like you mentioned,
something (dirt, etc) fell down on to the canvas or paper during printing and the ink covered that.  When
you wipe the print, the dirt comes off leaving the white spot.  I have had this problem will all my Epson printers
and on all media types.   IMO if you print a lot of canvas, it's going to happen as canvas by nature creates alot of
trash inside the printer, even if you cut it outside the printer.  BCW IMO is one of the cleaner brands, as it the
Lexjet Sunset.

I have found this solution won't work well with a Glossy Canvas/PK since the water based dye will attack the coating on
the surface of the canvas and leave a dark ring.  

You can also touch up RC paper with these same dyes, but you have to be very careful when applying as the
RC paper will react differently to the water.  

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:06:07 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gadget

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:56 am »

I don't print on canvas but I've experienced this problem with paper, specifically Media Street paper. After looking about on forums such as this and contacting the manufacturer, I've been told that coatings flake on occasion and that brushing the surface prior to printing solves the problem. But, it's one thing to brush a relatively small sheet, potentially a big hassle if working with large-format canvas.  

petermarrek

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:35:35 am »

For  those of us that made xxxxcolor prints(before Inkjets) this was a normal thing. To fix it we used Marshall's dyes or Kodak Retouching dyes. I have used these on canvas and matte papers, just be sure to apply several light dabs rather than one hit to match the color. Try it first on a scrap piece first.

artiste

Fixing Tiny White Spots
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »

Thanks for all the input, folks! My Canon has both photo and matte black ink tanks but I'm printing only on matte papers and canvases.  If the interesting photoshop-print-toothpick-method doesn't work, I'll try those dye sets.
Another tip I picked up (probably in this forum) to get rid of some of the lint before putting the paper in the printer was to use one of those "Swiffer" dusters to clean the paper surface. I hold the paper up and go over it very lightly with the duster so I don't scratch the surface - it seems to help get most of dirt off and doesn't leave any of it's own lint behind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up