Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: G1-traveling light  (Read 27239 times)

EasyEd

G1-traveling light
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2009, 01:15:40 am »

Hey All,

I'm excited!

About 11 hours ago I got a new Panasonic G1. It's not mine but in another way it is. At work I had some year end money for a camera and bought the G1 and the 45-200 lens (it comes with the 14-45). Got the battery charged and this weekend is gonna be one of those sun and cloud after storm before the next storm weekends here on Vancouver Island. Now if I can just figure out how to work it. Been looking through the manual during the March Madness Games this evening. I do love it's size and weight and handling. Looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it the next couple days as I should have some time to get out with it and will post my impressions.

-Ed-

dalethorn

G1-traveling light
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2009, 09:49:50 am »

Quote from: lensfactory
That's the whole point, getting that feedback. An optical viewfinder  is of no great advantage if it isn't large,bright and coupled with the lens. Not easy to fit on a small camera...and mostly unnecessary. I add a voigtlander viewfinder on the shoe of my LX3 which corresponds to 24mm and though useful, not completely necessary.
I hardly think it is just the general public that wants the "polaroid effect". Serious users are quite happy they don't have to go back to shooting polaroids to get that instant feedback.

In every camera I've owned with an EVF, the EVF was superior to the screen for *playback* as well as record. The *polaroid* effect is simply the effect the new buyer gets in the store, seeing the photo they just took on the playback screen. I believe that the average naive new buyer appreciates the screen because they are so *conditioned* by TV viewing.

tedmna

G1-traveling light
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:59 am »

I have rigged up a Hoodman to my LX3 to make it easier to use.  Rather than explain it a photo is here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/315533...484894306_b.jpg

dalethorn

G1-traveling light
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 09:53:01 pm »

Quote from: tedmna
I have rigged up a Hoodman to my LX3 to make it easier to use.  Rather than explain it a photo is here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/315533...484894306_b.jpg

Funny - looks bigger than a G1 with either stock lens. ????

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
G1-traveling light
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »

Quote from: lensfactory
Besides...a plus of the LCD is that you can brace the camera against things and tilt the camera to compose. I have done this many times shooting in low light. Not possible most of the times if you'd have to keep your eye on the camera.
BTW....I think the general consensus of those with newer DSLR's with liveview say they love it...find it very useful for a variety of reasons.
I find not having live view on my DSLRs far, far more limiting that not having a viewfinder on compact cameras. In fact I've never used the viewfinder on a compact that has a screen as I've always found it's always inferior in usage. As unless its an EVF, it's not WYSWIG and is why I always preferred SLRs before digital appeared. I've never understood the appeal of rangefinders, simply inferior to use to my mind and I've had a few.
I actually have an EVF for my pocket camera, but as it makes camera than little less pocketable, I tend not to carry it most of the time and when I do have in bag I forget to use it.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up