Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of Gear?  (Read 2126 times)

zetra

What kind of Gear?
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:43:58 pm »

Hi folks, if the reason to shoot the nature is for calendar with dimension 30 x 40 cm. what kind of camera you will choose (the budget is around $4000):
1. Some kind DSLR (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony)
2. Large Format with 90mm
3. Hasselblad 501CM (503) with wide lens 40mm

or maybe something other…
The quality and accurate color fidelity is most important and the calendar will be printed on high quality offset print machine.

The budget of $4000 is only for camera body and one wide lens for the beginning. They could be used.

I humbly challenge your professional opinion.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
What kind of Gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »

Quote from: zetra
Hi folks, if the reason to shoot the nature is for calendar with dimension 30 x 40 cm. what kind of camera you will choose (the budget is around $4000):

The quality and accurate color fidelity is most important and the calendar will be printed on high quality offset print machine.

The budget of $4000 is only for camera body and one wide lens for the beginning. They could be used.

I am not sure how you can really isolate the camera cost from the rest of the question, but...

If you intend to buy you gear, considering your budget, I would go for a Sony A900 and stitch 6 images (2 rows of 3). On a Precision 360 or RRS spherical pano head... IF you are familiar with stitching and are OK with digital. This advise is coming from me stitching a lot and considering the total cost/time of the shooting.

If the subject is not suitable for stitching, then 4x5 is probably the cheapest approach if you are an efficient shooter than can shoot little but well. Don't forget to factor in the film and scanning costs though.

I would also consider rental as an option if the shooting locales are suitable.

Cheers,
Bernard

douglasf13

What kind of Gear?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:33:40 pm »

Adorama rental has the A900 kit for a very affordable $300 a week.  Maybe you should try it?  

It includes:
Sony Alpha 900
Zeiss 24-70mm 2.8, Zeiss 85mm 1.4, Sony 70-200mm 2.8G, Sony SpeedLight, Vertical Camera Grip

lattiboy

What kind of Gear?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:39:06 pm »

Yeah, in this price bracket you could pick up an A900 from new from Canada (just have them ship it) for about $2500 and a 70-300mm G + Minolta 28-135mm f/4-4.5 and still have about $700 to spend on whiskey and women. At least, that's what I'd do.

PS Renting from Adorama is also a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:40:17 pm by lattiboy »

bob mccarthy

• http://
What kind of Gear?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »

is this a duplicate thread or am I going off the deep end

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=32644
Pages: [1]   Go Up