Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrying an SLR on Bike?  (Read 6972 times)

JMCP

Carrying an SLR on Bike?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 03:57:40 pm »

Hi,

I do a lot of mountain biking  and cycle touring carrying my camera gear and/or some video gear, I use a lowepro slingbag 100. I know you said you will be riding 2 - 3 hours per day but, honestly, that is not really a lot to put up with a small back pack, far better than worrying about it bouncing of your rack or falling from your handlebars and a lot quicker to get the camera out for talking a picture.  The only time I felt the bag an inconvenience was touring in Sri Lanka but it was over 35 - 40 degrees celcius and I am really not used to that coming from Scotland.

Cheers John

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Carrying an SLR on Bike?
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »

I've got a slightly bigger slingshot and although it's OK over short distances. I wouldn't like to ride for long periods with one.
I also have a dicky shoulder that appeared just after first using the backpack - the one you swing the bag over. It may be coincidence, it may not.

When I'm MTBing I have a back pack that sits away from my back and although it can carry more weight than my other more minimal bikepack, it is so much nicer to use as your back and therefore you don't get so hot. Makes a huge difference.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Frodo

Carrying an SLR on Bike?
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 02:06:20 pm »

I asked a similar question in a different forum prior to a one-month 9000km motorbike trip through Patagonia.  I proposed to carry similar (Canon) gear to you.  Some of the old hands replied "You're taking way too much gear".  I thought "Phooey!".

They were right!

I have just bought a Canon G10 that would have been a far better choice for my trip and I suspect yours.

Weight is one factor, bulk is another.  Concern about damaging the camera gear while travelling and yourself if you fall off while carrying some much on your back are also important.  But the final point is that a point and shoot is much, much more convenient.  Put it in a fanny pack and it is available for those spontaneous shots at a moments notice.  In a car, you can leave a DSLR with attached lens on the seat beside you - you can't on a bike.

I also took an old Canon A75.  Just about the only times I used the DSLR was when I had dedicated photo events on the trip - it was simply too much hassle, even though the quality of DSLR photos are (of course) vastly superior.  And on a motorbike I had much better load carrying options.

You might also check with your wife if its okay to fill your load carrying capacity with camera gear!

I have yet to test the G10, but my exectations are that at low ISOs it will provide acceptable, probably even publishable, photos.  Oh how I wish I had it in Patagonia last November!

dmerger

Carrying an SLR on Bike?
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

Frodo makes a good point.  If you take your SLR kit, however, I’d also recommend a tripod.

I’d carry just my camera and one lens (your 18-70mm) in my handlebar bag.  I’d carry the rest of my camera gear on a rack over my rear wheel in some type of easily accessible container.

Dean Erger

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
Carrying an SLR on Bike?
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 05:31:34 pm »

I've made several motorcycle dirt bike trips taking my pro Canon gear without incident.  When I go I really fly since I still race cross-country.  A trip in Mexico involved a crash at about 65 mph in the desert.  My Lowepro Toploader protected my 1DsII and my 28-300 IS L lens.  Another desert get-off landed me on my rear on my Lowepro Orion.  Again, everything worked well.  Trips in Colorado and Utah (including the White Rim Trail, a must-see, as noted by another above) with a 1DsIII & the 28-300 lens combo but inside a padded tank bag survived with zero problems.

Comments:  take pro gear.  These cameras & lenses are built for rugged environments (is there a D3 in your near future?)  Mount the weight around your waist if you can.  Don't worry about the lens mount any more than the internal circuit board mounting on pro cameras.  Ever see pro sports shooters pro Canon & Nikon cameras?  They look like (and apparently are used like) police department mag lights.  I would always shut off the lens stabilizer switch before putting the camera & lens back in whatever bag you use.

Stu
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up