Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microadjust  (Read 1530 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Microadjust
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:24:14 am »

I have been checking my lenses since Canon made some adjustments to the AF, it's all much better. My 70-200mm needed a nudge as did the 17-40mm the 50mm was miles out. One thing is for certain DPP and the Canon utilities are a God send for checking images. I tethered to a laptop took the first image by remote Liveview, you can focus from the computer in an enlarged window with this feature. Then I would turn off live view and shoot with a microadjust setting dialed in and repeat until I had an image as sharp as the Liveview image. In DPP I could call up information settings and see how much Microadjust had been shot with each image, I could overlay the focus point on the shots and if I had more than one window open I could sync all the frames so they scrolled the same at the same time.
I have never seen DPP with a tethered camera being put forward as a technique to microadjust before, it's so much easier than viewing on the back of the camera or uploading to a computer. A big thumbs up from me for DPP and Canon Capture utilities.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Rob C

Microadjust
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »

The amazing thing about this problem, and this isn´t aimed at the OP, is that the folks that have spent good money buying into the problem seem to be so grateful to the camera manufacturers for doing something post-purchase.

It would seem to me that a better approach would be mass demonstrations in front of the head office, placards, marches, bands, dancing girls and all the rest of it. In my opinion, to market a product with such faults is not a kick in the ass off being fraud!

Rob C

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Microadjust
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:20:48 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
The amazing thing about this problem, and this isn´t aimed at the OP, is that the folks that have spent good money buying into the problem seem to be so grateful to the camera manufacturers for doing something post-purchase.

It would seem to me that a better approach would be mass demonstrations in front of the head office, placards, marches, bands, dancing girls and all the rest of it. In my opinion, to market a product with such faults is not a kick in the ass off being fraud!

Rob C

Don't get me wrong, microadjust stinks, it's not the answer, i get it right for the 70-200mm at infinity at 200m and it's way off at 70mm close up. I'm really hacked off at the whole affair. £4.5k on a camera body that can't do what my much maligned Kodak SLR/n could do a number of years ago. Oh and Canon announce a cure for a problem they did not acknowledge existed  until they came out with the fix. And will it be a fix? time will tell.
Not about to leap to Nikon either.
DPP makes finding and comparing the problem quicker is probably what I'm saying.

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up