Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indoor Tae Kwondo Photo HELP!!  (Read 3155 times)

Terryray

Indoor Tae Kwondo Photo HELP!!
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:53 am »

Hello all,

I am a newbie to photography and I have been selected to do photos for my sons Tae Kwon Do.
I need HELP
I am using a Nikon D700 and have two lenses a 1.4 50mm and a 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 and a tripod.
It is going to be shot in a 70' X 70' gynasium with metal halide lighting
I will be able to get close to the action.
Can someone please give me input as to what camera settings they feel would work best and what lens of the two I have to use?
Should I use the tripod?
ISO?
Aperature?
Flash?
Burst Mode?
I really dont want to screw this up Please Help.
Thanks in advance
Terry

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:47:04 pm »

Quote from: Terryray
Hello all,

I am a newbie to photography and I have been selected to do photos for my sons Tae Kwon Do.
I need HELP
I am using a Nikon D700 and have two lenses a 1.4 50mm and a 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 and a tripod.
Can someone please give me input as to what camera settings they feel would work best and what lens of the two I have to use?
Should I use the tripod?
ISO?
Aperature?
Flash?
Burst Mode?
Thanks in advance
Terry
There are lots we can not answer because we are not there. For me it would be the 50mm, colours are going to be a bit unnatural because of the type of lighting, I would not use flash during the competition. I would guess at 1600iso, shutter speed will be whatever you can get. I would also assume there will be some medal presentations, so work out what you want to achieve for that, I would use some flash for them. They try and get through them quickly so don't be afraid to ask them to look this way please and hold the medal up.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Terryray

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:27:12 pm »

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate you input.
Anyone else got anything to add?

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »

Get there early and shoot while people are warming up. Shoot RAW. Be sure you can focus quickly on whatever it is you need to focus on when the action gets fast. You could probably use your tripod, but keep the head loose and the legs not extended so you can follow the action easier (assuming you have a ball head). And don't use flash.

Anthony Mann

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:56:36 am »

Definitely shoot in RAW mode and worry about color balance later (leave that in auto mode since it won't matter).

Shoot in Shutter Priority mode so you can quickly control the speed, but also try blurring out the backgrounds a bit with your lower f-stops

I'd also shoot off the tripod a lot.  Your D700 can handle higher shutter speeds with higher ISO's in low light, besides, tripod shots of any type of action sports events are very (ho, hum), limited...  Slow speed hand-held action shots that capture movement of hands and feet would be great - especially if your zoom is a VR lens - try 1/15th or even slower speed shots while holding the camera and panning it to follow a moving person's face while hitting the trigger  - their face will be frozen but their hands and feet blurred in action...

Have fun!!  This is a good opportunity to learn and since you are volunteering to take the pics (right??) there shouldn't be any pressure!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:02:49 am by Anthony Mann »

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:13:11 am »

Quote from: Terryray
Hello all,

I need HELP
Should I use the tripod?
ISO?
Aperature?
Flash?
Burst Mode?
Thanks in advance
Terry

I don't know why everyone is saying no to flash, I don't think that there's any restriction against it, I would still shoot this the old fashioned way, you just need a few minutes of preparation and then you shoot away. Get there a bit early, pick your shooting location, forget the tripod!, iso 400, set your camera to manual exposure, set your flash to auto, or manual if you know what you're doing, flash sync to 1/250th, set your camera to mf, af on those lenses is too slow for fast action, figure out your hyper-focal distance and set your f-stop, take a few shots to check your exposure, then do a custom WB so you don't end up with pink uniforms and sick looking people, final exposure check, fire away and enjoy!

david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:29:06 pm »

Quote from: ddk
I don't know why everyone is saying no to flash, I don't think that there's any restriction against it, I would still shoot this the old fashioned way, you just need a few minutes of preparation and then you shoot away. Get there a bit early, pick your shooting location, forget the tripod!, iso 400, set your camera to manual exposure, set your flash to auto, or manual if you know what you're doing, flash sync to 1/250th, set your camera to mf, af on those lenses is too slow for fast action, figure out your hyper-focal distance and set your f-stop, take a few shots to check your exposure, then do a custom WB so you don't end up with pink uniforms and sick looking people, final exposure check, fire away and enjoy!

Problem is with flash and white martial arts uniforms is it blows every detail  out and can easily cause underexposure.Despite all the new technologies I still find this the case.
 Syncing at 250 at 400 asa means a probability everything in the background will be black and you will need a reasonably small aperture and work with available light one way or the other. I try to work around f 5.6 - f8 to get a bit of focus depth, so higher iso is better as the camera can easily cope, flash or not and it is much less harsh as it lets in a little of the background lighting - even at 250th, of course if there is a good level of light you can go faster without flash. While flash is great to fill in a little and keep colours correct in the foreground it makes overall colour balancing the images later difficult if the other light is wildly different in colour temperature.
 Flash can be very distracting for the competitors and you may be asked to stop if using it at a close range. I agree manual focus is better as it will be tricky focusing , but martial arts are pretty static as they don't move around a lot at a very fast rate, all the action  tends to be in a very small area and the mf on even those lenses will easily keep pace, its the locking on of focus that may be tricky although Nikon has excellent predictive focussing( better than the Canons I use), come to that , make sure you are set on continuous focussing as the camera may lock up on the single focus setting at the most inopportune moments.
 Do a few tests in the stadium  before hand to get a feel for the light conditions, and if possible warm up a little in the early rounds, you will soon know if you are getting what you need on the screen. Conditions probably won't change during the course of the competition but you can continually fine tune as you work

ddk

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 04:39:46 pm »

Quote from: SeanFS
Problem is with flash and white martial arts uniforms is it blows every detail  out and can easily cause underexposure.Despite all the new technologies I still find this the case.
 Syncing at 250 at 400 asa means a probability everything in the background will be black...

These stadiums are pretty well lit, you'll get enough of the background without becoming distracting at small apertures, I would have suggested slower sync  speeds and even dragging the shutter once in a while to someone more experienced, but I would shoot this with flash. I don't care wether its a D700 or not, there are losses at higher iso and those stadium lights are horrible to shoot under, personally I'd use flash if for nothing else than just fill. In my days there never was any restriction against strobes when I used to attend tournaments I don't see why it should be any different now. I don't recall being bothered by it when competing either.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

Fine_Art

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:20:50 pm »

Quote from: ddk

If you are firing a flash into the face of people in combat you will quickly get a public berating from a senior black belt at the least. You might well be told to leave.

ddk

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »

Quote from: Fine_Art
If you are firing a flash into the face of people in combat you will quickly get a public berating from a senior black belt at the least. You might well be told to leave.

You might be right if one is too close, all I can tell you is that I see people using strobes all the time at sporting events, and no one seemed to mind during my days. That's how I'd shoot it too.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk
Pages: [1]   Go Up