Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original 5D  (Read 6275 times)

Alistair

Original 5D
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:20:25 am »

I cannot get my old 5D shooting tethered using Canon's software Utility on a 64 bit Vista machine to work. Is the fault with me or does the software not work in 64 bit (like the Canon RAW codec)?

Any answers appreciated.

Alistair
Alistair

greygrad

Original 5D
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:18:15 pm »

There are no 64bit drivers from Canon for the 5D. If you want to use it tethered, run a virtual copy of XP (32 bit), install the drivers/software (in XP), and shoot tethered from within XP. (I use VMware workstation on Vista 64 to run a virtual copy of XP, and shoot using a tethered 5D from there - works fine).

Alistair

Original 5D
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:02:04 am »

Quote from: greygrad
There are no 64bit drivers from Canon for the 5D. If you want to use it tethered, run a virtual copy of XP (32 bit), install the drivers/software (in XP), and shoot tethered from within XP. (I use VMware workstation on Vista 64 to run a virtual copy of XP, and shoot using a tethered 5D from there - works fine).

Thanks Greygrad, just what I was looking for.

cheers

Alistair
Alistair

NigelC

Original 5D
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:08 am »

Quote from: Alistair
I cannot get my old 5D shooting tethered using Canon's software Utility on a 64 bit Vista machine to work. Is the fault with me or does the software not work in 64 bit (like the Canon RAW codec)?

Any answers appreciated.

Alistair

Ther are Vista 64 bit versions of DPP 3.5.2 and EOS utility available for download for the 5D - does that not allow tethered shooting? What are the implications of the raw codec update not being available in Vista 64?

NigelC

Original 5D
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:44:25 am »

Quote from: NigelC
Ther are Vista 64 bit versions of DPP 3.5.2 and EOS utility available for download for the 5D - does that not allow tethered shooting? What are the implications of the raw codec update not being available in Vista 64?

Apologies, I'm wrong, after perusing through the Utility 2.4 guide on Canon website, I see that the combination of Vista 64 and 5d original doesn't work - funny that 30D is compatible though. Fortunately I have XP 32 bit laptop so I can shoot tethered and with interval timer that way.

DPP 3.5 is however compatible with 5D and Vista 64  - Phew!

greygrad

Original 5D
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 06:53:22 pm »

Hang on a sec. Maybe you can shoot tethered with a 5D from Vista x64 without any PITA workaround. It's been ages since I looked at the Canon website - but, as NigelC said, there is now a version of EOS Utility (2.5.1) that supports the 5D and Vista x64 (it was added on 24-12-08). I think this may be all you need to shoot tethered (plus the software to view the images - is that ZoomBrowser or something?) Still no codec though, so no 'raw' thumbnails unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:53:59 pm by greygrad »

greygrad

Original 5D
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:25:04 am »

Just tried again and...nope, you can't shoot tethered with a 5D on Vista 64 (as of 12th April 2009). Canon have indeed released x64 versions of ZoomBrowser, DPP and EOS Utility, but no driver for the 5D.  You can use ZoomBrowser and DPP, but EOS Utility just sits there lamely looking for the camera. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the only current option (I'm aware of) is to run another version of Windows virtually, or to have a dual-boot system. What a PITA - how long have Windows x64 OSs been around? Windows XP64 was announced in 2005! I'm wondering how 5D MKII and 1Ds MKIII users are faring - the North American Canon website doesn't appear to have any drivers available for any operating systems available on it's website (as of now, this minute) for either of these two cameras. I know writing a 64bit version of anything isn't a walk in the park, but four years for one of the worlds biggest corporations and still nothing, not even the x64 RAW codec...mmmmm...I don't think so.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Original 5D
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:23 am »

Quote from: greygrad
Just tried again and...nope, you can't shoot tethered with a 5D on Vista 64 (as of 12th April 2009). Canon have indeed released x64 versions of ZoomBrowser, DPP and EOS Utility, but no driver for the 5D.  You can use ZoomBrowser and DPP, but EOS Utility just sits there lamely looking for the camera. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the only current option (I'm aware of) is to run another version of Windows virtually, or to have a dual-boot system. What a PITA - how long have Windows x64 OSs been around? Windows XP64 was announced in 2005! I'm wondering how 5D MKII and 1Ds MKIII users are faring - the North American Canon website doesn't appear to have any drivers available for any operating systems available on it's website (as of now, this minute) for either of these two cameras. I know writing a 64bit version of anything isn't a walk in the park, but four years for one of the worlds biggest corporations and still nothing, not even the x64 RAW codec...mmmmm...I don't think so.

My 1dsIII works fine on Vista 64.
Craig Lamson Photo

greygrad

Original 5D
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:17:48 pm »

Quote from: infocusinc
My 1dsIII works fine on Vista 64.

That's good news. On another note, these folks have created the x64 codec for CR2 files: http://www.ardfry.com/cr2-codec/

greygrad

Original 5D
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

This is from Canon (page 29): "Note that there are some cameras that are not supported by and cannot be used with Windows Vista: the EOS-1Ds, EOS-1D, EOS 10D, EOS Digital Rebel/300D DIGITAL, EOS D60 and the EOS D30. Also, while the following cameras are compatible with Windows Vista for 32-bit systems, they are not compatible with Vista for 64-bit systems: the EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 5D, EOS 20D and the EOS Digital Rebel XT/350D DIGITAL." I wouldn't really hold my breath then waiting for a 64bit driver for the 5D...or the 1Ds MKII...or the 1D MKII...etc....etc...

MichaelAlanBielat

• http://www.MichaelAlanFineArt.com
Original 5D
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 01:49:35 pm »

That really stinks because I know that there are a lot of people out there still using the 5D as their main body for tethered or studio shooting...

The 5D was my only reliable Canon camera that I owned and it has served me well up until my recent move back to Nikon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up