Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If too late to benefit from dng converion  (Read 1021 times)

Photoartist

If too late to benefit from dng converion
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »

I understand the concept of converting everything to dng at time of download from cf cards.  I understand that if I obtain the downloadable software from adobe I can convert previously downloaded raw images to dng.

My workflow is to download cf cards and have folders of raw image files.  After I edit in Bridge I open in first work in ACR and then open that into CS4 saving as a PSD file.

I know that with the two methods I first mentioned I will protect myself against my formats getting out of date or unreadable.  What I am unclear of is what about a file that is worked up and stored as a PSD and then has its raw file converted to DNG.  In a PSD smart object I can always go back to the original raw file.  How does converting a PSD's original raw file to dng fit into this, or do I need to go back and recreate the PSD smart object from scratch with the newly converted from raw to  dng?

I know DNG is a raw converter only, but smart objects are beyond or after raw with the luxury of going back in time to access raw.  Perhaps I am getting excited over nothing.  Opinions/feedback appreciated

Panopeeper

If too late to benefit from dng converion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:52:42 pm »

Your reasoning is based on a bunch of misconceptions.

1. The format of your native raw file is not a bit less safe than DNG against getting out of date.

2. DNG is *zero* help when processing unreadable files.

3. DNG is NOT a raw converter.

There are a few legitimate reasons of converting native raw files to DNG:

1. If your choice of raw processor does not support the native format. This is a catch (as designed) of PS and LR: if your camera is a new model, you have to have the newest version of PS or LR - or you have to convert the raw file in DNG.

2. If you can't stand the sidecar files containing the adjustments (I love them), and you realize how rubbish the concept of the central database of ACR for the adjustment is, then you convert to DNG and can store the adjustment parameters within the file.

3. If your camera does not create an acceptable compressed format of the raw data and you want to save space on hard disk even at this absurd price, you can use DNG as a space saver.
Gabor
Pages: [1]   Go Up