Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texas Hill country spring flowers  (Read 17582 times)

davaglo

Texas Hill country spring flowers
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 08:42:03 pm »

Larkvi:

By the time frame you are comming through Texas, the wild flowers will be gone.  Sorry.
jrg

GordonMcGregor

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 12:02:53 am »

I rode through the Willow City loop yesterday. Hardly any bluebonnets compared to previous years.  There were a few strips of good blooms on the climb out but very little at all along the base.

Doesn't look to be a good year at all - too wet.

Sfleming

• http://
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 01:57:13 am »

This is the official dope:

It is a very mediocre year in The Hill Country for Bluebonnets.  They are ok along the highways on well drained slopes.  I traveled 200 miles yesterday and went to the best 'secret' places.  Spotty and thin.  That is THE word.  Trust me.

I believe it is because we got so much rain this winter.  The fact that the bluebonnets are ok on well drained slopes gives the hint.  They don't like mud.

Maybe the Indian Paint Brush will be better.  We are not getting any rain right now.  Not for three weeks.  Gonna have to water the lawn tomorrow for the first time in many months.

BobMcCarthy

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 04:40:52 pm »

Any change for the better since our last report?

Just got in from Houston (Sunday Apr 17th). Lots of yellow, no blue or reds yet.

Its my last free weekend for a while.

bob

theophilus

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 09:43:08 pm »

The best bluebonnets I've seen this year were in the Austin city limits on the steaper hillsides, not much in the Hill Country (I live west of Austin and work in town).

Texas Paintbrush are just about finished.

Indian blanket, Mexican Hat, Coneflower, and Black-eyed Susans seem pretty thick this year and are really starting to come out.  Celestials are pretty thick as well.

On a side note, this was the best year for the Mountain Laurels I've seen in a while.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up