Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AF fix and firmware update for Canon EOS-1D cameras  (Read 5716 times)

Yakim Peled

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

francois

AF fix and firmware update for Canon EOS-1D cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:15 am »

Quote from: Yakim Peled
Not again.....      

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030310...mwareupdate.asp
Thanks for sharing the info. I'll wait a couple of days before installing it.
Francois

Roger Calixto

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:01 am »

I don't follow... firmware updates and fixes are good, no? I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me in the DPReview article...
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:18:42 am »

Updates are good when they come expeditiously... I wonder if focus will finally work good for me.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:34:29 am »

Quote from: kingtutt
I don't follow... firmware updates and fixes are good, no? I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me in the DPReview article...

The fix requires you to send your camera in.  This is the second time.  The upshot is that these are pro cameras.  If this happened to my poor 40D I'd probably have to wait 45 years for the repair.

Yakim Peled

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 04:21:48 am »

Pro cameras are working tools. They should work properly anywhere and anytime. Canon now admits that 1.5 after it's release, one of the key functions in these flagship cameras (AF) is not work properly.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:25:06 am »

Firmware updated on my 1DSMK3 today - no issues.

Camera going in Tuesday for the focus adjustment - which Canon CPS service tell me is NOT dissasembling the camera - but rather plugging a computer into it to ensure its focusing exactly right and adjusting via software if required.

I already feel I get spot on focus - so will be interesting to see how it goes after 'adjustment'.

Canon Australia tell me it will take about an hour to test and adjust if required.

I will post results post 'adjustment' [if any is required].
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:01:05 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
Firmware updated on my 1DSMK3 today - no issues.

Camera going in Tuesday for the focus adjustment - which Canon CPS service tell me is NOT dissasembling the camera - but rather plugging a computer into it to ensure its focusing exactly right and adjusting via software if required.

I already feel I get spot on focus - so will be interesting to see how it goes after 'adjustment'.

Canon Australia tell me it will take about an hour to test and adjust if required.

I will post results post 'adjustment' [if any is required].
Josh,
Keep us posted!
 I'll install the firwmare update later today. I guess that in Switzerland I'll have to wait a few weeks until they start the AF fix program...
Francois

X-Re

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:15 am »

Nothing about this on the US site, yet... hrmmm...  
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

Roger Calixto

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:42:36 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
The fix requires you to send your camera in.  This is the second time.  The upshot is that these are pro cameras.  If this happened to my poor 40D I'd probably have to wait 45 years for the repair.

Ahhh, I see, you can't just download and update the firmware yourself. So basically it's like a recall.
Good thing it's not for my 30D or your 40d =)
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

francois

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:52 pm »

Ahhh, I see, you can't just download and update the firmware yourself. So basically it's like a recall.
Good thing it's not for my 30D or your 40d =)
Actually it's both a simple firmware update that you can install yourself and a recall.
Francois

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »

Quote from: francois
Josh,
Keep us posted!
 I'll install the firwmare update later today. I guess that in Switzerland I'll have to wait a few weeks until they start the AF fix program...

My camera went in this morning. As a CPS member its meant to be priority turn around - so I am told I will have it back this Friday which will be four days.

Will post results once I have it back.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:04 am »

My camera went in this morning. As a CPS member its meant to be priority turn around - so I am told I will have it back this Friday which will be four days.

Dropped mine in yesterday and picked it up this morning (Sydney). The AF software is replaced with an new version I was told. Even those who aren't having any AF problems (like me) are advised to have their cameras upgraded. There is calibration (under various lighting conditions) done after the upgrade - which I assume is why it couldn't be done as a user download. All appears fine, but as I said I wasn't having any problems in the first place.

GiorgioNiro

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:15:40 pm »

Quote from: phila
Dropped mine in yesterday and picked it up this morning (Sydney). The AF software is replaced with an new version I was told. Even those who aren't having any AF problems (like me) are advised to have their cameras upgraded. There is calibration (under various lighting conditions) done after the upgrade - which I assume is why it couldn't be done as a user download. All appears fine, but as I said I wasn't having any problems in the first place.

If anyone here in the US has had first hand experience with Canon USA, please coment.

Now that CPS here in the US has changed, I am not certain that I am still a member. Will CPS status effect the recall?

Josh-H

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:02:55 pm »

Well Canon rang me this morning less than 24 hours after I dropped off the camera to tell me it is already complete and ready for collection (2 days ahead of what they promised - I guess CPS membership has some benefits after all :-) ). They tell me it has had the AF adjustment [and is within factory specification], sensor cleaned and apparently they checked for viewfinder tilt and found it   slightly off so have corrected that as well.

Going to pick it up now. Will test it over the next few days and see if I notice any difference.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:03:34 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 08:37:45 pm »

I havent had a chance to do more than snap off a few quick frames as yet after the update - I cant say from those frames that I have noticed any difference whatsoever - hit rate seems about the same for me [which was always very good anyway].

I reset all my micro lens calibration adjustments to default after the focus adjustment by Canon (at their advice) - so need to test each lens again for critical focus and adjust as required. Hopefully this weekend I get a chance to do so.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 04:32:26 am »

I havent had a chance to do more than snap off a few quick frames as yet after the update - I cant say from those frames that I have noticed any difference whatsoever - hit rate seems about the same for me [which was always very good anyway].

I reset all my micro lens calibration adjustments to default after the focus adjustment by Canon (at their advice) - so need to test each lens again for critical focus and adjust as required. Hopefully this weekend I get a chance to do so.
Here, I contacted Canon and they told me that I had to fill a form before sending the camera. Unfortunately that form is not yet available (translation problem?) but at least Canon (in Switzerland) knows about the AF fix program... I was overly pessimistic.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:34:29 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up