Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syl Arena  (Read 3578 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Syl Arena
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:47:03 am »

Hi Folks:

Thought this was worth reading: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/3475

Mike.

Especially this: "You are NOT defined by your photo gear or your computer’s operating system.
Nikon vs. Canon, Mac vs. PC. Truth be told… none of this matters to anybody other than the people who sell this stuff. Nobody will look at your photographs and shout “Yep, that guy’s a Nikon shooter on a PC. It just shows.” If you’re a hardcore Nikonian or Canonite, loosen up, trade cameras with a colleague, and go make some great photographs with another brand. Come to understand that your images are reflections of you as a human and not the machines you used to create them."
If your mind is attuned t

dalethorn

Syl Arena
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:46:00 am »

I've been trying, doc, but every time I go to borrow or buy a different camera, I'm filled with a sense of dread.

henryp

• B&H Photo-Video
Syl Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:59:15 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
"Nobody will look at your photographs and shout “Yep, that guy’s a Nikon shooter on a PC. It just shows.”

Couldn't agree more. When's the last time you ate in a restaurant and wondered at the brand of stove the chefs used?

DarkPenguin

Syl Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:11 am »

Quote from: henryp
Couldn't agree more. When's the last time you ate in a restaurant and wondered at the brand of stove the chefs used?

You should have dinner with more restaurateurs.  (Stoves are apparently less interesting than vent hoods.)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Syl Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Especially this: "You are NOT defined by your photo gear or your computer’s operating system.
Nikon vs. Canon, Mac vs. PC. Truth be told… none of this matters to anybody other than the people who sell this stuff. Nobody will look at your photographs and shout “Yep, that guy’s a Nikon shooter on a PC. It just shows.” If you’re a hardcore Nikonian or Canonite, loosen up, trade cameras with a colleague, and go make some great photographs with another brand. Come to understand that your images are reflections of you as a human and not the machines you used to create them."

Mike, That's certainly true, but check the Leica User Forum M8 page and you'll find that a lot of M8 shooters don't agree. They're convinced that everything but the Leica M8 is "pasticky," meaning, as near as I can tell, that other cameras don't introduce as much noise. They also feel that the M8 is much more "film-like" than the Nikon or Canon -- or any other camera for that matter. If you missed the comics this morning and need a good laugh LUF is the right place to go.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Syl Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »

Quote from: RSL
They also feel that the M8 is much more "film-like" than the Nikon or Canon -- or any other camera for that matter.
That's only true if they cover up the "M8" legend and the big red Leica dot on the body with black photo tape, and obscure all the white writing around the front lens element with black fingernail polish.  Makes a big difference.  They also need to carry it cupped in their hand facing backwards.  What did I do with that old 35mm F2 Summicron?

Other than that please note that the only real camera out there is my D2X, soon to debut on ebay.  It's just sooo pathetically obvious when people use any other camera.

dalethorn

Syl Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
That's only true if they cover up the "M8" legend and the big red Leica dot on the body with black photo tape, and obscure all the white writing around the front lens element with black fingernail polish.  Makes a big difference.  They also need to carry it cupped in their hand facing backwards.  What did I do with that old 35mm F2 Summicron?
Other than that please note that the only real camera out there is my D2X, soon to debut on ebay.  It's just sooo pathetically obvious when people use any other camera.

I don't know about all Leica 'M' users, but some at least are like me, and would never use a camera with a moving mirror.

dalethorn

Syl Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

Quote from: henryp

My cousin in Cleveland TN (who played an important role in my computer career) was president of Hardwick Stove, so it's important all right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up