Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird behaviour in Bridge CS3  (Read 13317 times)

graeme

Weird behaviour in Bridge CS3
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:07:21 pm »

[attachment=11866:bridge.jpg]When I'm using Bridge CS3 in vertical filmstrip mode and I select a thumbnail the preview panel sometimes shows the wrong image from a different file ( see attachment ). If I double click the thumbnail the correct image will open in Camera Raw or Photoshop.

This started to happen about a month ago and it's becoming more frequent. It's also starting to drive me nuts.

I'm using a 2.66GHz mac pro ( 4 core )with 9GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Graeme

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »

What is your cache preference: Export cache to each folder or centralized single cache file?
~ CB

graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
What is your cache preference: Export cache to each folder or centralized single cache file?

Chris

Thanks for the reply.

'Automatically Export Caches to Folders When Possible' is checked.

Regards

Graeme

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »

I would clear all caches and start clean.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:28 pm »

I would "compact the cache" as a first step.

If you still have problems, purge the cache files. It's time consuming because Bridge must re-build each cache file for every folder containing images, but Bridge will then have a clean database to work from.

If that doesn't work, then you must reset the program preferences. On Mac, hold down the Command (apple), Option and Shift keys as you startup Bridge. You will get a dialog box asking if you want to reset preferences.

I would also run the usual Mac maintenance programs to repair permissions and run the chron program. I use Onyx to do this on a regular basis.

~ CB

dogear

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »

It sounds like a case of spurious thumbnails. Do you have high-quality previews checked in the preferences? If so, try setting the previews to something other than high-quality. I'm on CS4 and I can't remember what the setting was called, "standard" maybe. You'll need to purge the cache for any offending folders - don't purge the cache via preferences. I don't remember the specifics, but somehow that command is broken.

If this is the problem, you'll have to live with either that bizarre behavior or soft previews.

Here's a search on the topic at the Adobe Bridge Mac forums:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?127@@.3bba3d51
--Scott

graeme

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »

Chris, Fike and Dogear

Thanks for the responses ( sorry not to post earlier - I've been away for a couple of days ).

I've purged the cache via preferences and for individual folders, switched to compact cache mode and reset Bridge prefs. The problem is not as frequent but is still there. I haven't have time to try OnyX yet but have downloaded it. I'll try it this weekend and let you know what happens. I've repaired permissions and will probably try a fsck.

Have a good weekend all.

Graeme

Anthony Short

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:56:18 pm »

I had exactly the same problem with CS3 on Vista x64, this isn't a Mac specific issue.

I also found the problem got worse over time. I purged and deleted everything I could find that might be caching but no luck.

In the end I spent the $175 to upgrade to CS4. I won't trust a program that obviously has a corrupt view of my data - not acceptable. CS4 seems to work fine, no corrupt previews.

Bridge CS4 also resolved the other issue I was having with Bridge CS3 reporting insufficient memory. CS4 browsing the same folders does not run out of memory.

I hate spending $175 to get a bug fix, but there didn't seem to be an alternative.

Anthony

graeme

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:15:42 pm »

Hello Guys, me again

Bridge is still a bit flakey but I haven't had a spurious thumbnail for a while. I think I trashed all of the cache files and ran Onyx a few times. I checked out dogear's link to the Adobe forums and tried some other stuff which I can't remember. Contrary to the experience of others having 'Use High Quality Previews' checked gave more reliable results.

I don't believe that the problem is sorted, Bridge still feels erratic and I often have to purge the cache for individual folders when certain files within that folder display pixellated previews.

It's galling that is that Bridge was reliable, if a little clunky for the first eighteen months I had it installed. Even more galling that it's a known issue that adobe can't be arsed to sort out.

I am not buying CS4.

Graeme

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 11:19:39 am »

Quote from: graeme
Even more galling that it's a known issue that adobe can't be arsed to sort out.

I am not buying CS4.

Graeme

I don't see much point in Adobe having to fix a problem with an old version that has already been fixed in the new version. From their side, it's an unnecessary doubling of programmer man-hours. Refusing to buy the fixed new version because they don't want to fix all old versions too is stupid.

dfranzen

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:27:40 am »

Graeme,

I believe the the bug about the wrong preview showing is fixed in Bridge CS4. I  have not heard any reports of it happening in CS4, and we believe we found the root cause to be that the cache was not purged correctly after clicking the purge cache button on the preferences panel. If it occurs in CS3, you should manually purge the cache using the instructions for Bridge CS3 in this Knowledge Base article:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332992.html

To summarize, quit Bridge and delete the entire directory from the Cache folder located in the Users/ [user] /Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS3 folder. After that do not use the button in Bridge CS3 if you want to purge the cache in the future; use the Purge Cache for Folder command, or purge the whole cache after the three-finger-at launch startup keyboard shortcuts.

You can try Bridge CS4 for free for 30 days if you download a trial version of Photoshop CS4 or one of the CS4 Creative Suites.

Thanks,
David Franzen

graeme

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:07:56 am »

David

Thanks for the reply

I think I've already tried what you describe but will have another go following your detailed instructions.

I'll pass on CS4. I tend to upgrade software at every other update  so I'll wait until CS5. Photography / graphics form part of my work but are not part of my core business so I try not to throw too much cash at software and computer / camera hardware. ( Not that there's much cash to throw around at the mo' anyway ).

I'll add that apart from Photoshop 7 quitting while using the motion blur filter this is the only real gripe I've had in 9 years of using Adobe software.

Best regards

Graeme

Quote from: dfranzen
Graeme,

I believe the the bug about the wrong preview showing is fixed in Bridge CS4. I  have not heard any reports of it happening in CS4, and we believe we found the root cause to be that the cache was not purged correctly after clicking the purge cache button on the preferences panel. If it occurs in CS3, you should manually purge the cache using the instructions for Bridge CS3 in this Knowledge Base article:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332992.html

To summarize, quit Bridge and delete the entire directory from the Cache folder located in the Users/ [user] /Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge CS3 folder. After that do not use the button in Bridge CS3 if you want to purge the cache in the future; use the Purge Cache for Folder command, or purge the whole cache after the three-finger-at launch startup keyboard shortcuts.

You can try Bridge CS4 for free for 30 days if you download a trial version of Photoshop CS4 or one of the CS4 Creative Suites.

Thanks,
David Franzen

mouse

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
I don't see much point in Adobe having to fix a problem with an old version that has already been fixed in the new version. From their side, it's an unnecessary doubling of programmer man-hours. Refusing to buy the fixed new version because they don't want to fix all old versions too is stupid.

That's a surprising response.  It's equivalent to the Mercedes-Benz dealer telling me that my 2 year old vehicle cannot be repaired because they no longer make the part, and my only recourse is to buy this year's model.  Not what I call good business practice.  

graeme

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »

Quote from: mouse
That's a surprising response.  It's equivalent to the Mercedes-Benz dealer telling me that my 2 year old vehicle cannot be repaired because they no longer make the part, and my only recourse is to buy this year's model.  Not what I call good business practice.  

Also, it sounds like the problem appeared while Bridge CS3 was the current version of the software, not an old version.

Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up