Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscape Portfolio  (Read 7972 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:12:54 am »

I recently added a new homepage and have uploaded a selection of my landscape photography. It would be great to get some feedback on this gallery http://hanskrusephotography.com/gallery/69...448447330_jLo8J

You can use the slide show feature to look through the gallery and the images will automatically be resized to the size of you screen up to a resolution of about a 24" screen. I have limited the resolution being displayed to this size.

dalethorn

Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23:09 am »

Very nice, and very different.  Outstanding work.  The slideshow really works well.  The only other comment I have is in some of the first few images, the shadows or overall contrast made the images a bit too dark.  It could be my monitor doesn't have enough DR, but others who view the slides will see the same.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:53:17 am »

A stunning body of work! I looked at every picture in the Landscapes gallery, and almost all moved me.

francois

Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:10:55 am »

Beautiful galleries, congratulations Hans.
Francois

Christos Andronis

• Christos Andronis Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:52:29 am »

Hans,

You seem to have a way to use natural light to emphasize textures that is exceptional! Bravo, and keep up the good work,

- Christos
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:52:54 am by candron »

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photos!  Some of the best I've seen in a long time.  They remind me a lot of the work of Charlie Waite, one of the few photographers whose work I get excited about.

Just one question, if you don't mind...Number 31 in your landscape gallery (with mountains in the background and an orchard in the foreground)...what mountains are those?  I don't recognize them, but now I want to go there.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:48 am »

I enjoyed paging through all the images.  My only suggestion would be to edit them down to about 30 or 40 - you have at least that many "wow" images but the impact of the portfolio overall is diminished by the inclusion of the other 60 or 70 images that are "only" very good.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:00:25 pm by Tim Gray »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:43 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
Very nice, and very different.  Outstanding work.  The slideshow really works well.  The only other comment I have is in some of the first few images, the shadows or overall contrast made the images a bit too dark.  It could be my monitor doesn't have enough DR, but others who view the slides will see the same.

Thanks a lot. I agree that the contrast is making the dark parts of the these first images were a bit high and I decided to go back and readjust. This was easy to do since all was done in Lightroom 2.x with local adjustments. The first photo is

The second I adjusted is this one

For this one I wanted it to look like a darkish Italian oil painting. But reviewing it again I found that it could do with a little more light, so it was adjusted and reloaded.

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »

hey, i'm really enjoying your style.. very slick.

what were your post-process techniques? how did you give them all that oil-on-canvas type of look? naturally it starts with the correct time to take the picture (golden hour...) but what other techniques, programs, and know-how did you use ?

dalethorn

Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:14:06 pm »

Quote from: hkruse
Thanks a lot. I agree that the contrast is making the dark parts of the these first images were a bit high and I decided to go back and readjust. This was easy to do since all was done in Lightroom 2.x with local adjustments. The first photo is

The second I adjusted is this one

For this one I wanted it to look like a darkish Italian oil painting. But reviewing it again I found that it could do with a little more light, so it was adjusted and reloaded.

Yep, you've got your procedures down just right. Good work.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 05:21:44 pm »

Quote from: nniko
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photos!  Some of the best I've seen in a long time.  They remind me a lot of the work of Charlie Waite, one of the few photographers whose work I get excited about.

Just one question, if you don't mind...Number 31 in your landscape gallery (with mountains in the background and an orchard in the foreground)...what mountains are those?  I don't recognize them, but now I want to go there.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, This image is from northern Spain from the Pyrenees. I don't have the exact location as my GPS had been misplaced. The last position before I went further north is here

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.21553833,...752319&z=11

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 05:23:37 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray
I enjoyed paging through all the images.  My only suggestion would be to edit them down to about 30 or 40 - you have at least that many "wow" images but the impact of the portfolio overall is diminished by the inclusion of the other 60 or 70 images that are "only" very good.

Hi Tim,  

Thanks and good point. It's a tough thing to do, but worth it. The current selection came from several invitations from photo clubs to talk about my photography.

John R

Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 06:26:32 pm »

Quote from: hkruse
Hi Tim,  

Thanks and good point. It's a tough thing to do, but worth it. The current selection came from several invitations from photo clubs to talk about my photography.
Exceptional work.

JMR

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:42:47 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray

Hans,

I am 100% aligned with Tim here, you have some very nice images here, but others are either too similar of lacking impact a little.

I am just going through a very similar process at the moment, and understand very well the difficulty of editing, but it is a must do task.

Cheers,
Bernard

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 07:24:18 pm »

Thanks for the map, Hans.  I've never been to the Pyrenees; I will add it to my list of places to go sometime.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

dwood

Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »

Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 07:40:31 pm »

Quote from: mike.online
hey, i'm really enjoying your style.. very slick.

what were your post-process techniques? how did you give them all that oil-on-canvas type of look? naturally it starts with the correct time to take the picture (golden hour...) but what other techniques, programs, and know-how did you use ?

Hi Mike,

Most of the images were edited using Lightroom 2.x (at the moment 2.3RC) and I use the local adjustment tools quite a bit. The graduated filter is a godsend for me as well as the brush tool. These tools makes it really unncessary for me to use Photoshop. I do use Photoshop CS3 from time to time when I use tone mapping. But that is now much more seldom now given the Lightroom 2.x tools. I can get a similar effect (as with tone mapping) that I like sometimes using the fill light and recovery towards compensating tone curve adjustments and graduated filters when I need certain parts of the image to fall into the number of stops that can be represented on a screen or a print. I also now use the Lightroom 2.x camera curves under camera calibration. I use the landscape tone curve a lot and I really like it. I use the vibrance on a moderate level and no saturation. I also use HDR techniques rather seldom. I find the that the number of stops available from the 1Ds mk3 (and my former 5D) is typically enough when using the adjustment techniques mentioned. But there are cases where this is not enough, though.

But as you say the most important thing is choosing the light and time of day. I'm typically out before sunrise and often before twilight time starts and stop shooting 1-2 hours after sunrise depending the time of year. I'm most happy when the weather forecast says sun, rain and cloudy at the same time  

Many thanks for your comments.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »

Quote from: JDClements
A stunning body of work! I looked at every picture in the Landscapes gallery, and almost all moved me.

Hi Dan, thanks very much for you comments! Much appreciated.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:56 pm »

Quote from: francois
Beautiful galleries, congratulations Hans.

Hi Francois,

Thanks very much.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Landscape Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »

Quote from: candron
Hans,

You seem to have a way to use natural light to emphasize textures that is exceptional! Bravo, and keep up the good work,

- Christos

Thanks Christos, I always look for the light and go out early in the day, but also scout areas when there is dramatic weather in the middle of the day. Especially in Italy where many of the images are from, the mountains are just fantastic and the weather changes constantly. I sometimes call is action photography since it cahnges so fast!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up