Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New website feedback sought  (Read 2248 times)

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
New website feedback sought
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:19:25 am »

If you have a few moments to view my new website please do. Comment about anything that you feel like.

http://www.mountainphotographics.com/

Thanks,

Peter

Architectural Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:07 am »

Very clean website with excellent work. The only thing I'd change is to add a picture of yourself on the About page.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:30:09 pm »

Nice to see a well-executed HTML site - there are too many very slow and cumbersome Flash sites out there. Beautiful locations and photography as well. The thumbnails might benefit from being a bit larger.

The only gripe I have is that I was expecting photos of mountains, given the URL. But this should not be a problem for your clientele as I assume they know what they expect already

Chris_T

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »

Overall comments: Very simple and elegant design.  Layout (of header and footer), background and text colors, font sizes are consistent on every page. Text and background colors well chosen for legibility. Wish the font size is larger. Cohesive, speedy and easy to navigate.  Slight vignetting along the live area borders a nice touch. Yes, without the slow flash, I don’t mind sticking around a bit longer.  

I was also expecting mountain images. The header logo of bricks is far less interesting than the gallery images. May work well for a brick layer's site, but does not necessarily lead one to associate with architecture.

The About page: The text is not centered, the left margin is quite a bit wider than the right. If this is intended, I would like to know the rationale.

Galleries: I am no great fan of thumbnails and enlargements on separate pages. But with the limited number of thumbnails in your galleries, it works reasonably well. The thumbnails fit nicely without needing any scrolling on my 21" monitor.

Some suggestions:

- add a gallery title to each page
- tell the viewers how many images are in each gallery
- tell the viewers the enlargement they are looking is m of n images
- the enlargement titles/captions vary from an actual title to client to publication. Can be more consistent?

Of all the sites I have reviewed here, this is one of my favorite few. And the better the site, the pickier I get. But the devil is in the details, which I'm sure you can appreciate as an architectural photographer.

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:48:21 am »

Tomrock, Feppe and Chris T

Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions too, all of which I'll give some thought and consideration. One thing I will be changing is the About page. As Chris T pointed out the text is not centered. That was going for a bit of asymmetry, breaking away from the expected layout, but I agree about it needing to be more centered.

I'm glad the simple html site works for you three. My feelings about the design of the site was to make it that. Simple and easy to navigate. I see many websites that the content takes a back seat to the vehicle. Some may think that flashy is good but I think it is more of a distraction, thus the simple route was taken.

You know, I feel really bad now about not having mountain pictures on the website. ;-)  This past Monday was snowy here in TN so I went out to get some good mountain scenes. The place I wanted to go to was locked up by the forest service (*^$&@%!!!), so I just photographed a nearby stream. I'll get some mountain scenes up there soon however, so check back from time to time.

Thanks again,
Peter

Architectural Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up