Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 3794 times)

johngie

• http://
Greetings
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:47:17 pm »

Hello all,

I've just joined this site so want to say hello. I live in north Wales (UK) and I'm very much the "wrong side" of 60! I've been a photo enthusiast since I was (about) 10 so I've seen a lot of changes! From the almost universal use of rollfilm (even by amateurs) in those days through the domination of 35mm and now through to digital, which I now embrace with a D300 and B9180 printer (which is what brought me to this forum in the first place).

I still have my darkroom and its enlarger, Jobo rotary and Nova deep slot processors - it's gathering dust, together with my brace of Olympus OM's and Bronica ETRSi, but I can't bear the thought of parting with them! Having said that, my D300 and B9180 can produce 13x19 prints of a quality that's subjectively more than equal to anything I got with the Bronica.

I suppose coming from a "film" background I'm rather agin some of the more exaggerated efforts I see done with Photoshop! I'll allow myself a little fiddle with curves and gamma, maybe the digital equivalent of dodging, shading and burning but I believe in preserving the original scene which is what makes one take the picture in the first place! Am I in a minority?

Best wishes

John

Happy St David's Day (tomorrow) to any fellow Welsh folk who are looking in!

dalethorn

Greetings
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »

Quote from: johngie
Hello all,
I've just joined this site so want to say hello. I live in north Wales (UK) and I'm very much the "wrong side" of 60! I've been a photo enthusiast since I was (about) 10 so I've seen a lot of changes! From the almost universal use of rollfilm (even by amateurs) in those days through the domination of 35mm and now through to digital, which I now embrace with a D300 and B9180 printer (which is what brought me to this forum in the first place).
I still have my darkroom and its enlarger, Jobo rotary and Nova deep slot processors - it's gathering dust, together with my brace of Olympus OM's and Bronica ETRSi, but I can't bear the thought of parting with them! Having said that, my D300 and B9180 can produce 13x19 prints of a quality that's subjectively more than equal to anything I got with the Bronica.
I suppose coming from a "film" background I'm rather agin some of the more exaggerated efforts I see done with Photoshop! I'll allow myself a little fiddle with curves and gamma, maybe the digital equivalent of dodging, shading and burning but I believe in preserving the original scene which is what makes one take the picture in the first place! Am I in a minority?
Best wishes
John

I'm only 1/4 Welsh, on mum's side, but someday want to go see the real deal.  I belong to three photo (not camera) clubs in Ohio, and while there's a mix of opinion on the post-processing issues, most of the members lean toward the notion that adding objects to the image that weren't in the camera image makes the image "not an actual photograph", or something very roughly equivalent to that.  I still believe that clever use of B&W enlargers can mask film grain better than most digital processes can mask pixellation or noise.  Some digital experts may disagree.

xtranch

Greetings
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:03 pm »

Hello all,

Best wishes

John
well I am about identical age 67, started at ten, converted to digital ten years ago. I do minimal editing for most pics but also produce "digital art" from photos. I think many people nowdays think they need to do maximum editing to get good results. I think starting with a good photo is the best bet. I am apalled with the number of shooters that dont understand basic exposure theory, you can see them on dpreview.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Greetings
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:05:14 am »

English and Scottish on my mother's side of the family - no Welsh that I know of... but welcome to the list!

Jump in to some of the topics that intrigue you, or start your own...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

Greetings
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:28 am »

Hello all,

I've just joined this site so want to say hello. I live in north Wales (UK) and I'm very much the "wrong side" of 60!

Which side would that be then?
Pages: [1]   Go Up