Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eee PC901?  (Read 2029 times)

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Eee PC901?
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:13:31 pm »

My Macbook Pro is about to take a 10 day+ holiday on Apple Care....think I'm having a new logic board.  I think I can get a good deal on an Asus Eee PC 901 through my mobile provider as I'm considered a "high value" customer....does anyone have experience with them?

It's specs are 1.6 processor, 1 gig ram, 16 gig SSD and Windows XP.  Obviously it will do email and internet, will I be able to make it drive a V750 and B9180 though?  I've a spare copy of Elements I can install and was hoping to clear some of my backlog of scanning/printing.  The only other option I have is a G4 533 that is currently doing server duties at my parents' house - hardly the most up to date machine!

All input appreciated

Thanks
Charly

dalethorn

Eee PC901?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »

Quote from: situgrrl
My Macbook Pro is about to take a 10 day+ holiday on Apple Care....think I'm having a new logic board.  I think I can get a good deal on an Asus Eee PC 901 through my mobile provider as I'm considered a "high value" customer....does anyone have experience with them?

It's specs are 1.6 processor, 1 gig ram, 16 gig SSD and Windows XP.  Obviously it will do email and internet, will I be able to make it drive a V750 and B9180 though?  I've a spare copy of Elements I can install and was hoping to clear some of my backlog of scanning/printing.  The only other option I have is a G4 533 that is currently doing server duties at my parents' house - hardly the most up to date machine!

All input appreciated

Thanks
Charly

I'd say the 16 gb SSD is a no-no.  I bought an Acer Aspire One, with a decent keyboard and 120 gb hard drive for $300 u.s.  I'm not at all disappointed.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Eee PC901?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:47:01 am »

The 16gb SSD will be a limitation, as will only 1gb of ram, the small screen will also be a nuisance for photo work. The Asus build quality isn't that great in my opinion too.

The small netbooks are great as tiny portable field computers for reviewing work away from your normal base, but as a main machine you ought to be able to pick up a better machine with a bigger screen for very little more.

If you do want one as a highly portable machine, look at the slightly better specified ones like the Acer Aspire One, MSI wind(Advent 4211) etc. They can all be supplied with decent sized hard drives and can take more ram to make them quite usable. I've got an Advent 4211 with 2gb ram and it runs Lightroom or PS CS4 quite happily and is great for checking and reviewing work on location.

Pages: [1]   Go Up