Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotatrim Monorail 48 Question  (Read 6132 times)

Richard S

Rotatrim Monorail 48 Question
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:51 am »

Hi Everyone,

Based on previous thread I elected to purchase a Rotatrim trimmer.  The model I bought is a Monorail 48".  I purchased it new from B&H and this is the first time dealing with that company where I suspect I ended up with a demo or at least a repack.  The unit itself looks fine but the packaging showed evidence of previously being handled.  Not the end of the world but there wasn't any form of manual or instructions on how to use it.  

It came with a separate plastic ruler or guide that is the same length as the trimmer with a small label on it which says Direction of Cut and an arrow.  I have to believe this mounts along the cutting edge inside the end pieces but I don't want to do anything that would damage the unit without knowing exactly where it goes.  The same label says Instructions Under Baseboard but they don't exist.  In addition, there is a lever at the back of the cutter that appears to be a way of retracting the cutting wheel from the cutting bar but once again without instructions I'm hesitant to use it.

I tried the Rotatrim website looking for a manual to download and also tried the Saunders website because the units are so similar but there wasn't anything there either.  Does anyone own one of these who could give me a little guidance or point me to where I might find a manual?  

Thanks very much,
Richard

blansky

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »

I'd try B&H first.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »

The only instructions that came with mine is a paper taped to the back of the cutter.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas Gallery

howardm

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »

i just got mine (a dual rail M24) and the only instructions are glued to the back of the unit.

the plastic is as you think it is.  it holds the almost-edge of the paper in place as you slide the cutter.  there are screw holes in the guide and screws/holes in the  baseboard on top at the corners.  it should have been screwed down and paper should slide under it.

never lift or handle the unit by the rail(s)

Richard S

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »

Thanks very much Howard.

The platic strip came in the carton loose but I saw that there was a place for it in the molding of the end pieces.  I mounted it in the slots and the cutter rides over the top of it.

Made a few practice cuts and was pleased to see that it can trim very very thin whiskers off of paper accurately.  Now to find a D-Roller and I ought to have everything ready to rock on a recently purchased Z3100.

Lots to learn when coming from an Epson R1800

howardm

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:02:47 pm »

I know I saw a post recently (not sure if it was here on LL or maybe FredM or DP) and the guy used some Lowe's PVC pipe and plastic sheet (but not flimsy sheet) and made his own D-Roll for $5

Richard S

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:18:33 pm »

I read some other do-it-yourself threads and built one out of a 3" tube and some window blind material.  It took every bit of 4 hours with a rubber band around it to flatten out the paper but it regained its curl by the next day.  From what I hear the D-Roller is a one shot roll, unroll, and the paper stays flat operation.  I've never seen one live but possibly the roller itself is heavier stock and forces the curl out of it quicker by shear weight (like an old fashioned steam roller).

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:51:33 pm »

Quote from: Richard S
I read some other do-it-yourself threads and built one out of a 3" tube and some window blind material.  It took every bit of 4 hours with a rubber band around it to flatten out the paper but it regained its curl by the next day.  From what I hear the D-Roller is a one shot roll, unroll, and the paper stays flat operation.  I've never seen one live but possibly the roller itself is heavier stock and forces the curl out of it quicker by shear weight (like an old fashioned steam roller).

Richard...

Rotatrim
A few years ago, I had a question on a new Rotatrim.  Emailed them and got a quick reply.  You may want to try that.

Faux D-roller
I did similar, but with a ~2" mailing tube.  For the plastic I used one of those large plastic wall calendar.  Works great.  You may find that the 3" is too large a diameter to reverse the curl.  I think the D-roller diameter is even less than the 2" I use....looks to me like ~ 1 1/4"

John
John

Richard S

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:48 pm »

Thanks very much John.

The smaller diameter tube would make sense.  I'll find a 2" tube and give it another go.

AndreG

• photohippique.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:03:32 am »

Hi,

Michael did a demonstration for me at his Gallery. CHeck this out: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/.../d-roller.shtml

I ordered one the next day.  The DRoller does really works and more to the point it does not harm the paper in any way. I lost more trying to build and using a home made version.

I don't use it often but I am glad to have it on hand when I have to.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »

Has anyone looked at the results using a deroller under a microscope? If the ink becomes brittle when dry it will flake off when this is done.

I don't know that that happens, but 30 seconds under a microscope will tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up