Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley Calif. How is April there?  (Read 9345 times)

Peter McLennan

Death Valley Calif. How is April there?
« on: February 17, 2005, 10:49:03 am »

Given the recent rainfall and the time of year, it should be just about optimal.  May you arrive during a clearing storm.

You might condider running northward to Ubehebe Crater.  Very colourful, desolate, not frequently photographed, easy access.

Peter

bobby sargent

• http://www.bobbysargent.com
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 07:27:26 pm »

Thanks guys for the tips and info.   I was out there for 6 days looking around, walking around and even almost stepped on a sidewinder rattlesnake.  Very first sidewinder I ever saw in the wild.  So cool.

I only had a car in June when I went there.  I was on a nide dirt road but there was a flash mud slide across the road so I had to turn back.  This was going north past Scotty's castle going towards the old volcano cone?  

If I can ask what is the ract track or race course?  Sounds very interesting.  

I was out at sunrise smoking my cigar when my friend walked by me on the highway.  I was sitting at the edge of the sand dunes.  He stopped and just sat there watching me and I had to get a shot what with the sunrise just hitting him.

Thanks so much for all of the help. bs
Traveling Photo Shoot Trips.

Deat

howard smith

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:49:48 am »

I've been to the Eureka Dunes a couple of times.  Very high and not as visited as the Death Valley Dunes near Stove Pipe Wells.  Really best after a windy night and no visitors' tracks.  The road is usually pretty good, but I would check first.  Worth the trip.

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:35:54 pm »

Hello Bobby,
The link that Howard provided on Darwin is very good.  I was just there recently on a cloudy day, which seems to be the norm right now.  My guess is that anytime other than mid-afternoon would be fine on a clear day as the canyon is very narrow and I don't think it runs east-west, but we didn't scout this precisely.  We only photographed the lowest falls which are probably 20 feet high or less.  There are some interested tree and water combinations at the falls as well as on the hike in the narrows.  I think it would be an ideal location for you and the models.  There were a handful of hikers that came by as we photographed.  The scamble up the rocks from the lowest falls to the middle falls seemed to be very challenging with 4x5 bags and equipment, so we decided against the climb.  I wish you the best as the wild flowers will probably be just awesome and you won't even think about other areas after you see those fields all abloom.
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

bobby sargent

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 04:27:01 am »

HI.  I am off to Death Valley with 2 models.  I was just there last June where it got to be 120 one day in the shade and there was not shade.

I was wondering how the temp was during the last week of April.  

Also was looking for some interesting locations in DV to shoot at.  

Most of what I saw was from just getting out of the truck and walking.  But for guys who have been there and know the area can you point me in any direction to finding some killer locations? ???

Thanks guys for any info that you can help with. bs

Deat

howard smith

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 09:04:30 am »

April will likely be in the 90s.

There has been a lot of rain in the DV area and soem roads may be rough or gone.  I would check with the Visitor Center.

The mill area at Skidoo is interesting and cooler, as is the Wildrose area.  The charcoal kilns may make a nice prop for models.

The Race Track is interesting.  If you aren't camping there, you will probably have to drive one way in the dark.  If you haven't been there, I would shoot in the afternoon/evening first.  You can drive out and scout the area before the good ligh happens.

howard smith

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:32:26 pm »

Ubehebe Crater is very near Scotty's Castle (shade), Mesquite campground, and is on the road to the Race Track (25 miles of dirt away).  It is higher elevation and cooler than Furnace Creek/Stovepipe Wells.

howard smith

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 05:47:12 pm »

Yes, the store is right accross the road from the motel, and a pretty good place to eat.  Ben & Jerry's.  A real problem for me.  Great ice cream, but a real anti-nuke pair.  Now if the store had an "It's It"!  OAt meal cookies with ice cream.  Hard to beat.  I wouild walk barefoot accross DV for one - errr, how about two?

One of the most wonderful nights I've spent camping was at Furnice Creek in Spring.  70s at night, light breeze.  Just great.

Then again, I remember stopping at the Golf Course one August afternoon.  All was good until I open the ACed truck.  Like sticking your head in the oven on the clean cycle.  120ish and high wind.  Wind chill can go up!

One of DV's appeals is the unknown.  I spent a great afternoon at Furnice Creek at 125ish at the date grove.  Quiet and very fine if you didn't move too much.

DV is maybe my favorite place any time of year.

bobby sargent

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 07:34:16 pm »

April will likely be in the 90s.

There has been a lot of rain in the DV area and soem roads may be rough or gone.  I would check with the Visitor Center.

The mill area at Skidoo is interesting and cooler, as is the Wildrose area.  The charcoal kilns may make a nice prop for models.

The Race Track is interesting.  If you aren't camping there, you will probably have to drive one way in the dark.  If you haven't been there, I would shoot in the afternoon/evening first.  You can drive out and scout the area before the good ligh happens.
"The charcoal kilns may make a nice prop for models."

I agree.  What I had in mind was having the girls stand inside the kilns with the sunlight  on them.  I have some ideas for some great artistic nude shots with this light.  It was a very nice area for sure.  

"The Race Track is interesting"

If I can ask what is the Race Track?  I have no problem driving in the dark either way.  So if you say it is good to do afternoon first that works for me.

I saw very little car traffic at all while I was there. And even if we did see them we heard them coming a long time before they got there.  Will give the girls plenty of time to hide or get dressed fast.

Again thanks for this help.  bs

Deat

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 10:50:40 pm »

I think it's really aliens doing it to freak us out, but this is a minority opinion. Sargent here is what michael say about the race track, plus a recomend you read about death valley in He's website.  Or get the DVD you will love it

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

stealththinker

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:30:11 am »

The only place that I wanted but never got to go is Eureka Sand Dudes. Has anyone got good pics there? I heard it's an increditable location there. I think I may go this coming fall.

bobby sargent

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 12:04:01 pm »

Thanks guys for the great help.

Now I wanted to know if anybody has been down Titus Canyon?  I have seen the dirt road when you head out of Beatty.  And I have been at the other end of Titus Canyon when you drive out.

So I wanted to know if anybody has been down this canyon and how is it?  Do you think that this would be a good place to visit and see?

Any help on what is back here?

Again I want to thank you guys for all the great suggestions and help.  bobby

Deat

GordonMcGregor

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 06:07:01 pm »

I'd agree - the link is very useful.  I was at Darwin Falls in November last year.  The road in is a bit of a washboard but nothing too rocky.  The walk in from the car park to the lower falls is maybe 15-20 minutes over mostly easy trail with a few small boulders to navigate.  There are some water crossings depending on the time of year too.  

The pictures on the link above must be of the upper falls, as they look nothing like what I saw !  The lower falls is maybe 20 feet high and in a very narrow, shaded canyon with steep sides.  I have a couple of shots of the falls and also the canyon walls in the the PDF file mentioned at the end of this thread

I went to the falls in the early afternoon and it was already in full shade (1.30pm - no light other than reflected from the canyon walls)  If you download the PDF, page 26 and 41 are shots from the lower Darwin Falls.

howard smith

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 12:18:21 pm »

I've been down Titus several times.  Interesting drive.  The road can be bumpy but passable in a car.  Again, it is subject to weather and how recently the Park Service has been by with a grader.  It looks like water might really rip out of Titus into Death Valley during a good rain.  There are some old mining builds on the road.  The Canyon gets narrow at a few places and there are interesting rock formations.  If you have been down the road from Beatty to Death Valley, a trip down Titus will be longer but worth while.  Even if you don't any photos, at least you had a look.

The falls may be Darwin Falls.  Never been there, but you might check here:  www.dankat.com/swhikes/darwin.htm

karelg

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 06:27:33 am »

Anything (weather), anywhere (location) :-)

I was there end of april 1999. Rough Guide sez camping should be closed half april/may because it would be too hot...
Spent one cold night in a tent, the other night in a motel, decided to leave because ... it was too cold and it rained... (REALLY!). Upon leaving, the weather improved to relatively cold and cloudy (dramatic photography!) and comfortably sunny. Spent about 5 days there, Death Valley is AWESOME!

So, you will have a problem finding a location that does not distract too much from your models :-)
Saw the homepage of your website, I guess you won't go far by foot with all your equipment :-)
Many gorgeous locations are within close distance of a parking, many are just the main well known spots, all depends on what you want to do.

Suggestions:
Zabrisky Point (if you really like, you can walk up to zabrisky from the bottom of the valley, I believe there is a track with "Golden" in it's name).
Dunes.
Bad Water (salt flats)
(I believe it is called) Devils Golfcourse, in the direction of Badwater, salt crusts in "heaps". Very out-of-this world but beware: VERY sharp!
And somewhere in the middle of the valley (near Stovepipe Wells, not the town near Zabrisky?) is something called "Marble Canyon" (or like that).

Have Fun!

framah

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 05:34:20 pm »

Howard... Did you notice that at Stovepipe Wells where the store is, they have Ben & Jerrys ice cream???!!!  When I saw that, I knew that I had discovered how all the pioneers were able to make it thru that area!!     :p  :p  

I was there a couple of years ago around the first of April and the temps were near perfect... for the desert, that is. Around 80s or so. I went out then for the desert wildflowers and it was great!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

howard smith

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2005, 09:24:44 am »

The Race Track is a dry lake bed with moving rocks that leave a trail behind.  It is about 25 miles south of Ubehebe.  It is marked on most maps.  The road is dirt and usually not too bad.  I've been there several times in a 4x4 truck and a sedan.  Only problem might be a wash out.

The best tracks are at the south end of the bed, on the east side.  You can see cars coming from the north several miles away.  From the south, not so far, but the walk to the east side is several minutes.  There is nothing out there so take everything you will want or need.

A stop at Tea Kettle Junction on teh way is fun.  Obvious as you pass.  It is a sign post with a bunch of tea kettles hanging on it.

bobby sargent

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 12:08:49 pm »

The waterfall at the western side of Death Valley.

Hey guys. I know that there is a waterfall on the western side of Death Valley once you pass Panamint Springs.  I have seen the road and from what I understand it runs about 1 1/2 miles and stops.  Then you have to walk about another 1 1/2 mile to get to the waterfall.

so my new question is when is the best time of day to see this waterfall?

How high is the fall and is the fall worth the time to go and see it?

Again many thanks for all of the great help you have given me.  I can see that I will have a lot of great images from Death Valley and that I owe you all a big THANKS.     :D  :D

Deat
Pages: [1]   Go Up