Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love & Hate Hassy 40mm C T  (Read 4686 times)

daleeman

• http://
Love & Hate Hassy 40mm C T
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:31:08 am »

Just picked up a grand old lady, a Hassy 40mm in nice condition. I wondered if anyone out there uses this lens and would care to share with me about their use and what they love and hate. I'm also looking for filters and a front lens cap if you know of any B 104 items.
Lee

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:32 am »

Congratulations! My 40mm is without doubt my most widely used lens. I use it with an Aptus 17 so it comes in around 50mm. The images it produces are fabulous. I would like to shoot film with it soon just to see how it performs covering the 6x6 format. Admittedly it is a very heavy lens but when it's on a pod that's less of a problem. I have been looking for a polariser for a while now, with no luck. I guess there are large format solutions out there but the £££££'s haven't been there as yet. The focussing on my lens is slightly stiff with the weight of the front element and of course with the ring being so close to the body it can be slightly awkward. I wish you could fit a handle to it but I'm under the impression that isn't an option. I should try pimping the handle off my 150mm. I love the perspective of the lens, I've used it commercially for interiors, landscape and portraiture and I've always been very impressed with image quality. It makes me wonder how the latter versions perform... I'm also experimenting with stitching images with this lens at the moment. I'll try and post one if I think it's worthy! Hope my rambleing thoughts are of help - happy shooting!

zetra

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:42:15 pm »

Congratulations! My 40mm is without doubt my most widely used lens.[/quote]

What kind is the lens? ˆs it 40mm F4 CF FLE or something else? How old is your lens?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:55:35 pm by zetra »

daleeman

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »

Quote from: buzzski
Congratulations! My 40mm is without doubt my most widely used lens. I use it with an Aptus 17 so it comes in around 50mm. The images it produces are fabulous. I would like to shoot film with it soon just to see how it performs covering the 6x6 format. Admittedly it is a very heavy lens but when it's on a pod that's less of a problem. I have been looking for a polariser for a while now, with no luck. I guess there are large format solutions out there but the £££££'s haven't been there as yet. The focussing on my lens is slightly stiff with the weight of the front element and of course with the ring being so close to the body it can be slightly awkward. I wish you could fit a handle to it but I'm under the impression that isn't an option. I should try pimping the handle off my 150mm. I love the perspective of the lens, I've used it commercially for interiors, landscape and portraiture and I've always been very impressed with image quality. It makes me wonder how the latter versions perform... I'm also experimenting with stitching images with this lens at the moment. I'll try and post one if I think it's worthy! Hope my rambleing thoughts are of help - happy shooting!
HI, Thanks for the message. Yes it is a very heavy lens. I'll see first results today, about an hour from now, right before the C41 lab closes. I have a 3 day window to return if I am not happy, although it is very smooth, I was handed the CLA slip from Hasselblad NJ.

I like the idea of pimping the 150 focus handle. I also wondered if I could create my own lens shade from some household items. I am paranoid about scratching it, the glass is flawless, but no front cap.

Will let you know more soon.

daleeman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:02:03 pm »

Quote from: zetra
Congratulations! My 40mm is without doubt my most widely used lens.

What kind is the lens? ˆs it 40mm F4 CF FLE or something else? How old is your lens?
This is probably 15 to 30 years old... 40mm C T multi coated. Pockets are not deep enough to buy a new CF although my 80 and 150 are CF lenses. For as old as it is, the glass is amazing, not even a cleaning mark or flaw in the coatiing. CLA in Jan 09.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:02:53 pm by daleeman »

zetra

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:15:39 pm »

Quote from: daleeman
This is probably 15 to 30 years old... 40mm C T multi coated. Pockets are not deep enough to buy a new CF although my 80 and 150 are CF lenses. For as old as it is, the glass is amazing, not even a cleaning mark or flaw in the coatiing. CLA in Jan 09.

You mean that even with this quite old lens it works perfectly with Aptus 17 ? If it so then its amassing!!! I just wondering may I put together Aptus 17, 501cm body and 40mm F4 CF FLE???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:04:50 pm by zetra »

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »

I don't really know the vintage of my lens to be honest... It is a C Distagon with T* coating. I got it off ebay complete with the case and lens hood (which keeps the massive front element reasonably protected). It was serviced by the previous owner about two years ago, who provided the paperwork with it and the speeds run as sweet as the proverbial! I also have an 80 CF and a 150 C and I reckon that matched with my aptus 17 the 40mm is a really sharp bit of glass. The latter lenses are just a bit out of my price range, although I would like the lighter glass, however, this does the job for me! I don't have much online but you can see a tearsheet at this link (hopefully if it works!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cstephenphoto/2824303181/

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:19:37 am »

I use a Rollei non-PQ40mm Zeiss from the same era (actually the same optical design) on a 6008 and 132C back (22MP) - and love it. It is really good.
I don't have a signature.

daleeman

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:32 am »

Quote from: zetra
You mean that even with this quite old lens it works perfectly with Aptus 17 ? If it so then its amassing!!! I just wondering may I put together Aptus 17, 501cm body and 40mm F4 CF FLE???
No, I'm shooting film on a 500cm and use the 40 C T on it along with my 80 CF and 150 CF

daleeman

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 06:32:06 am »

Quote from: Wim van Velzen
I use a Rollei non-PQ40mm Zeiss from the same era (actually the same optical design) on a 6008 and 132C back (22MP) - and love it. It is really good.
Very Nice and tranquil photo. I look forward to achieving the same breath taking images as I become more friendly with this Grand Ole' Lady.

I shot with it the first time yesterday. Spent a lot of time looking at the edge of the image. It takes F22 to get the corners sharp. They start looking good at F11 and to the untrained eye F8 passes.

I look forward to taking it on some hiking excursions. I have a digital shoot next week for Sadie Hawkins Dance, like a prom, but the gals get to ask the guys to go. I wonder if they pay for  dinner too? The weekend after that I think I will go to Old Man's Cave and go hiking in the Spring Mud. There is a lot of nice rock formations down in the south east part of Ohio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up