Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reorganizing catalog  (Read 2605 times)

Anders P

Reorganizing catalog
« on: February 27, 2009, 09:17:55 am »

I have not until now paid much attention to organizing my library in LR2, the result being that all my 12,000 images are in one catalog. It seems, among other things, to make LR slower. I am now looking for advice on how to split the catalog up and archive my images properly. As it is the images are organized in folders by client and in subfolders by assignment. The structure makes sense since the average client commissions me maybe 3-5 times a year and quite often asks for additional images from previous assignments. Does LR2 have the possibility to filter and export for example all 2007 images into a separate catalog while maintaining the folder structure?

Any advice and help is much appreciated.

//Anders

MBehrens

Reorganizing catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:33 pm »

Filter and select the images to be exported: File - Export as Catalog...

Anders P

Reorganizing catalog
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:13:02 pm »

Quote from: MBehrens
Filter and select the images to be exported: File - Export as Catalog...

thanks... I feel stupid  

Jon Meddings

Reorganizing catalog
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:06:25 pm »

Quote from: Anders P
thanks... I feel stupid  

Anders, I just noticed this thread and agree that this approach works. However, I have to say that I've got around 30,000 images in one catalog and performance is really very good - I'm surprised that with only a relatively small catalog that you have issues. I don't think it is the number of images.

I find it very useful to have all images in a single catalog. For awhile I had separate ones and then had issues trying to remember which catalog a picture resided. Much easier to have them all together from my perspective - of course I'm sure you know that!

TomJB

Reorganizing catalog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:35:22 pm »

Quote from: Anders P
It seems, among other things, to make LR slower.

Any advice and help is much appreciated.

//Anders

Here's a link that has been very useful to me (Lightroom: Five Things You Can Do to Improve Performance):

http://www.peachpit.com/guides/content.asp...&seqNum=184

There's a ton of other things about LR there, including exporting files and catalogs.

- Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up