Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SpectraviewII vs BasICColor 4 Display  (Read 10284 times)

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
SpectraviewII vs BasICColor 4 Display
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:36:30 am »

I just took delivery of a nice new 2690WUXi2 monitor but am unsure which profiling system to use. I already have an eye1 display2 puck (normal non-wide gamut type).

From what I can make out the Spectraview solution isn't sold here in Oz, so it would have to be imported from the States. NEC here recommend the BasICColor product (which I understand is also what is used in Europe). I have downloaded the BasICColor Display 4.1 trial and it certainly seems comprehensive enough. Not having to buy another puck also appeals. However if the SV modified one produces a better result, plus the software works better then it would most likely be worth the trouble and additional expense to get them from the US (although the kit is out of stock at the moment).

If anyone can provide their opinion on which system is superior...?

I do a wide range of professional work, mainly for magazines, as well as my own work - usually to a iPF5100.

Using a MacPro running 10.5.6.

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:53 am »

The main advantages of the SpectraView software would be these:  It addresses the monitor hardware rather than the video card LUT, and also has access to the monitor's factory values of the primary colors and allows the choice of the colorimeter readings of the primaries or the factory settings.

I don't know whether the alternative software has these features, but if you are using a colorimeter that is not optimized for the wide gamut, it is preferable to use the factory settings in the calibration of the monitor.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 09:54:27 am »

You absolutely want to be using the NEC software to fully control the unit! What Walter said.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:58:36 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
The main advantages of the SpectraView software would be these:  It addresses the monitor hardware rather than the video card LUT, and also has access to the monitor's factory values of the primary colors and allows the choice of the colorimeter readings of the primaries or the factory settings.

I don't know whether the alternative software has these features, but if you are using a colorimeter that is not optimized for the wide gamut, it is preferable to use the factory settings in the calibration of the monitor.

I have the X-Rite Eye One Display 2. I didn't get it from NEC. I don't know if it's optimized for wide gamut. I have the 2690WUXI and the Spectraview II upgrade. I'm not sure whether to set the preference for factory primaries or the color meter's readings.

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 12:36:13 am »

Quote from: Wolfman
I have the X-Rite Eye One Display 2. I didn't get it from NEC. I don't know if it's optimized for wide gamut. I have the 2690WUXI and the Spectraview II upgrade. I'm not sure whether to set the preference for factory primaries or the color meter's readings.
The 2690WUXi is listed at 93% or more of Adobe RGB and should be considered a wide gamut monitor.  Only very recently has NEC come out with a version of the EyeOne Display 2 that is filtered for the wide gamut, and I am sure that the one you have is not.  I would suggest that you use the setting for factory primaries.

ayaboh

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:58 am »

Quote from: phila
I just took delivery of a nice new 2690WUXi2 monitor but am unsure which profiling system to use. I already have an eye1 display2 puck (normal non-wide gamut type).

From what I can make out the Spectraview solution isn't sold here in Oz, so it would have to be imported from the States. NEC here recommend the BasICColor product (which I understand is also what is used in Europe). I have downloaded the BasICColor Display 4.1 trial and it certainly seems comprehensive enough. Not having to buy another puck also appeals. However if the SV modified one produces a better result, plus the software works better then it would most likely be worth the trouble and additional expense to get them from the US (although the kit is out of stock at the moment).

If anyone can provide their opinion on which system is superior...?

I do a wide range of professional work, mainly for magazines, as well as my own work - usually to a iPF5100.

Using a MacPro running 10.5.6.

The regular 2690WUXi comes in two versions, - the US version and the rest of the world version. Only the US version can be hardware calibrated with the US SpectraView software. You are out of luck if you live in other parts of the world, including Australia. NEC US will not sell you this software if you don't have an US address. In addition, the outside US 2690WUXi version comes with another firmware so it can't be hardware calibrated.

In Europe (and Australia?) NEC has a monitor called SpectraView2690 that is hardware calibration ready. This is not a regular 2690WUXi2, but a specially selected no-dead-pixel panel (according to NEC) and comes with a hood and NEC branded BasICColor software. A main difference between the (US)SpectraView software and the BasICColor software, is that BasICColor can do videocard LUT calibration as well as hardware LUT calibration. I have both these sotware versions, but the BasICColor is the one to have. (It's actually your only option).

The i1 Display 2 works great with 2690/BasICColor. You don't get any problems due to the wide gamut of the monitor. The i1 Display 2 can be supplied as an option to the SpectraView 2690 from NEC if you want one.

jeremydillon

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »

Quote from: ayaboh
The regular 2690WUXi comes in two versions, - the US version and the rest of the world version. Only the US version can be hardware calibrated with the US SpectraView software. You are out of luck if you live in other parts of the world, including Australia. NEC US will not sell you this software if you don't have an US address. In addition, the outside US 2690WUXi version comes with another firmware so it can't be hardware calibrated.

In Europe (and Australia?) NEC has a monitor called SpectraView2690 that is hardware calibration ready. This is not a regular 2690WUXi2, but a specially selected no-dead-pixel panel (according to NEC) and comes with a hood and NEC branded BasICColor software. A main difference between the (US)SpectraView software and the BasICColor software, is that BasICColor can do videocard LUT calibration as well as hardware LUT calibration. I have both these sotware versions, but the BasICColor is the one to have. (It's actually your only option).

The i1 Display 2 works great with 2690/BasICColor. You don't get any problems due to the wide gamut of the monitor. The i1 Display 2 can be supplied as an option to the SpectraView 2690 from NEC if you want one.

Sorry to be a bit off topic - but - Did you buy it locally?  The agent I called in Melbourne denied its existance about 2 weeks ago!! He also quoted a bit over AU$3000 for the old version without a puck.  Didn't fill me with confidence.

ayaboh

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:47:12 am »

Quote from: jeremydillon
Sorry to be a bit off topic - but - Did you buy it locally?  The agent I called in Melbourne denied its existance about 2 weeks ago!! He also quoted a bit over AU$3000 for the old version without a puck.  Didn't fill me with confidence.

Denied the existence of what? The 2690WUXi2 or the SpctraView? The mark II version of this monitor is brand new and I haven't seen it in the shops here yet, but the mark I should be available.

I bought the SpectraView 2690 (mark I) locally and got a really good deal on it. I had picked out two monitors, the NEC SpectraView 2690 and the Eizo ColorEdge CG242W, but after seeing the Eizo it became a rather easy choice.

AU$3000 is very close to what I paid here without the puck. The Eizo was much more expensive for some reason.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:54:15 am »

Denied the existence of what? The 2690WUXi2 or the SpctraView? The mark II version of this monitor is brand new and I haven't seen it in the shops here yet, but the mark I should be available.

I bought the SpectraView 2690 (mark I) locally and got a really good deal on it. I had picked out two monitors, the NEC SpectraView 2690 and the Eizo ColorEdge CG242W, but after seeing the Eizo it became a rather easy choice.

AU$3000 is very close to what I paid here without the puck. The Eizo was much more expensive for some reason.

I actually was able to buy it direct from NEC here in Sydney as a favour, after a few stuff ups with dealer I was referred to. The price (as far as I could tell, there not being any WUXi2s in any of the dealers I checked) was excellent - under $1800.00. Delivered. :-)

I spoke further with the head NEC guy this morning and (if I understood him correctly, I'm not quite sure we were both talking exactly on the same wavelength) he said the Euro/Oz versions of the monitors were literally hand picked perfect versions (50% reject rate) and had the "monitor heads" modified (not sure I understood what that actually meant) so as to be better, together with the BasICColor software, than the Spectraview II equipped US monitors. In the end, given that BasICColor is what is supported in this country, that is what I'll go with I think. BasICColor Display 4 will cost about $245.00.

ayaboh

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:45:55 am »

Quote from: phila
I actually was able to buy it direct from NEC here in Sydney as a favour, after a few stuff ups with dealer I was referred to. The price (as far as I could tell, there not being any WUXi2s in any of the dealers I checked) was excellent - under $1800.00. Delivered. :-)

I spoke further with the head NEC guy this morning and (if I understood him correctly, I'm not quite sure we were both talking exactly on the same wavelength) he said the Euro/Oz versions of the monitors were literally hand picked perfect versions (50% reject rate) and had the "monitor heads" modified (not sure I understood what that actually meant) so as to be better, together with the BasICColor software, than the Spectraview II equipped US monitors. In the end, given that BasICColor is what is supported in this country, that is what I'll go with I think. BasICColor Display 4 will cost about $245.00.

AU$1800 is a very good. I guess this is the 2690WUXi1. In addition you need to buy the BasICColor software. You have to check that this monitor can be hardware calibrated. Here in Europe non of the 2690WUXi monitors can be hardware calibrated due to firmware limitations. You have to buy the SpectraView version for this.

If you can't hardware calibrate the monitor (non SpectraView version), you can use the GretagMacBeth software that came with your i1 Display 2 puck as well as the BasICColor software. No difference between them when you do video card calibration. You save the cost of the BasICColor software.

Remember that the "hand picked perfect versions" your dealer refers to is the SpectraView version, not the 2690WUXi.

I think you have to check if you also have two different versions of this monitor in Australia as there is here in Europe. The cost for the full SpectraView version including the BasICColor software and hood ("monitor heads"?) is actually lower than if these parts are bought separately. This is the only combination that gives hardware calibration of the 2690 here in Europe.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:35 pm »

AU$1800 is a very good. I guess this is the 2690WUXi1. In addition you need to buy the BasICColor software. You have to check that this monitor can be hardware calibrated. Here in Europe non of the 2690WUXi monitors can be hardware calibrated due to firmware limitations. You have to buy the SpectraView version for this.

If you can't hardware calibrate the monitor (non SpectraView version), you can use the GretagMacBeth software that came with your i1 Display 2 puck as well as the BasICColor software. No difference between them when you do video card calibration. You save the cost of the BasICColor software.

Remember that the "hand picked perfect versions" your dealer refers to is the SpectraView version, not the 2690WUXi.

I think you have to check if you also have two different versions of this monitor in Australia as there is here in Europe. The cost for the full SpectraView version including the BasICColor software and hood ("monitor heads"?) is actually lower than if these parts are bought separately. This is the only combination that gives hardware calibration of the 2690 here in Europe.

It is the 2690WUXi2. :-))

I have downloaded the BasICColor Dispaly 4.1 trial software and it indicates that both hardware & software calibration is done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up