Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 x 4 camera for portraits and 'static' fashion?  (Read 7359 times)

sperera

5 x 4 camera for portraits and 'static' fashion?
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:40:36 am »

...so, a 5 x 4 camera and a few lenses will cost you around the price of a Nikon or Canon 12mp camera as we all know.....and as we all know they produce great big transparencies/negatives which scanned correctly yield great results.....

Im doing a lot of fashion/portraits shots these days and I find I'm working quite methodically with a light metre, tripod adjusting things til the composition is what  I want....in other words im not a bang bang bang 200 shots in half hour shooter....so, Ive been thinking of adding a film camera to the mix alongside the digital in order to get something different from a shoot.....

....can anyone give me their opinion on using one for anything other than landscapes/studio/cityscapes......
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

micek

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:59:22 am »

Quote from: sperera
...so, a 5 x 4 camera and a few lenses will cost you around the price of a Nikon or Canon 12mp camera as we all know.....and as we all know they produce great big transparencies/negatives which scanned correctly yield great results.....

Im doing a lot of fashion/portraits shots these days and I find I'm working quite methodically with a light metre, tripod adjusting things til the composition is what  I want....in other words im not a bang bang bang 200 shots in half hour shooter....so, Ive been thinking of adding a film camera to the mix alongside the digital in order to get something different from a shoot.....

....can anyone give me their opinion on using one for anything other than landscapes/studio/cityscapes......

I can't advice you on fashion photography with a 4x5" camera (I am an architectural photographer), but you should know that you can get yourself a new camera + portrait lens outfit for about 1000-1200 USD. That's a good deal less than a Nikon/Canon 12mp camera.

Joe Behar

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:08:58 am »

This guy seemed to do pretty well with a view camera

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/sear...?iartistid=2833
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:09:21 am by Joe Behar »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
This guy seemed to do pretty well with a view camera

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/sear...?iartistid=2833

But, unfortunately, soooo static. (Did it bore him to death, too?) However, if you go by the title of this thread, perhaps just what´s required.

Rob C

Olli Wendelin

• http://www.OlliWendelin.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 12:42:48 pm »

Try the Gowlandflex 4x5 twin lens reflex. Designed and built by Peter Gowland especially for glamour work. They are occasionally available used. I think you may still be able to buy a new one from Peter Gowland.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

Anthony R

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:57:01 pm »

Jeff Riedel does quite well shooting fashion with a 4x5. http://www.jeffriedel.com/home.html

I miss it myself, slows you down into shooting only what's golden instead of picking the cream of the crap.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:49 pm »

A couple of places to ask relevant questions.
If you are happy with one lens take a look at a Razzledog http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html

http://www.frankpetronio.com/
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/for...isplay.php?f=20

Kevin.
Kevin.

Rainer

• http://schoditsch.photoshelter.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »

framah

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:28:05 pm »

While you are contemplating a 4x5 camera, check out the Betterlight scan back system for the 4x5 camera. You work right on  your computer and get the image right then instead of waiting for the film to be developed. You can make any adjustments right there and get the final image the way you want it.
Check out their website for samples of images taken by users.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:22 pm »

Funny old world. People write about getting the golden shot and not just the pick of the bunch. Strange thing is, your maligned ´cream of the crap´ is just that because one of the most important parts of shooting fashion is creating the mood and the build-up to the creamy shot. You don´t get there by effing about with a museum piece. (And please, don´t bring gargantuan Polaroid machines into this - they aren´t about real fashion photography either. Nor, for that matter, real-world portraiture. Just promotions and so-called art photography.)

If you fail to understand why photographers shoot a lot of exposures, you fail to understand the psychology of what goes on in a shoot.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Funny old world. People write about getting the golden shot and not just the pick of the bunch. Strange thing is, your maligned ´cream of the crap´ is just that because one of the most important parts of shooting fashion is creating the mood and the build-up to the creamy shot. You don´t get there by effing about with a museum piece. (And please, don´t bring gargantuan Polaroid machines into this - they aren´t about real fashion photography either. Nor, for that matter, real-world portraiture. Just promotions and so-called art photography.)

If you fail to understand why photographers shoot a lot of exposures, you fail to understand the psychology of what goes on in a shoot.

Rob C

You never cease to amuse.

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:09 pm »

Rob C

Some how I don't see Sally Mann or Arnold Newman machine gunning their way through sheets of film. As for Karsh, sorry not boring, static maybe but he captured the person. The Winston Churchill portrait is iconic as is the Casals. I think Avedon did a series on 10x8, Parkinson shot some very lush stylish 10x8 for Vogue. Non of it the modern in your face with attitude that prevails now, certainly non the worse for it either.
Kevin.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »

Quote from: Olli Wendelin
Try the Gowlandflex 4x5 twin lens reflex. Designed and built by Peter Gowland especially for glamour work. They are occasionally available used. I think you may still be able to buy a new one from Peter Gowland.

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

Wow that makes me drool almost as much as Leica S2. The price is probably 1/10 of the S2. I have a Mamiya C220 in beautiful condition, and really miss shooting with it. Digital is so convenient. But the Gowlandflex with 4x5 quality should rival MFDBs - and would be perfect for the photographic direction I'm going for right now.

I wonder what shutter speeds are possible with it. And what DOF and 100-135mm 35mm equivalent focal lengths would be?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:24:20 pm by feppe »

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 07:14:03 pm »

I was a heavy shooter for a long time when using RZs, but then I switched to 4x5 and I made very few shots, mostly 2, one just in case the eyes were closed. You are right when you say that shooting a lot is a way making the shot while you create a mood, but that is hardly the only way of working. I love shooting little. Small archives.  

Anthony R

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »

Rob C

I don't fail to understand anything other than your post. ...real fashion, 'creating the mood', you assume quite a lot and come off like quite an ass-hat, as usual.

Olli Wendelin

• http://www.OlliWendelin.com
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 01:02:18 pm »

Quote from: feppe
I wonder what shutter speeds are possible with it. And what DOF and 100-135mm 35mm equivalent focal lengths would be?

Here is a focal length chart.
http://photo.net/equipment/medium-format/f...ngth-conversion

For the glamour camera Gowland recommends 180 - 300 mm (50-90mm 35equivalent). Remember you need 2 matched lenses, $$$$. I have the wide angle "landscape/ calender" version with 127mm lenses.

My shutter goes from B to 1/400 sec. Unfortunately mine does not have X sync, I have to keep my eyes open for a new shutter.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:40:18 pm »

Quote from: feppe
You never cease to amuse.

Pleased to be of service.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:48 pm »

Quote from: Anthony R
I don't fail to understand anything other than your post. ...real fashion, 'creating the mood', you assume quite a lot and come off like quite an ass-hat, as usual.

Sorry you fail to understand; added to the other hat you credit me with, perhaps you should have mentioned fashion photographer, where for many years I did earn my keep, both in studio and on location around much of our little mother Earth. What did you do, Anthony?

But then, why take my word for it: go to Horvatland.com, open Interviews and read the Sarah Moon one and perhaps you might take her word for it -  or not, I suppose she isn´t quite hitting your radar, so maybe you won´t take her word. Or anybody else´s but your own; way to go, man.

Rob C  

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »

Quote from: KevinA
Some how I don't see Sally Mann or Arnold Newman machine gunning their way through sheets of film. As for Karsh, sorry not boring, static maybe but he captured the person. The Winston Churchill portrait is iconic as is the Casals. I think Avedon did a series on 10x8, Parkinson shot some very lush stylish 10x8 for Vogue. Non of it the modern in your face with attitude that prevails now, certainly non the worse for it either.

There is no problem about any of those guys using LF, there is every problem with the inuendo that only LF gives that je ne sais quoi, that "golden shot" or however it was originally described. Avedon, in fact, is reputed to have used his Rollei TLR extensively and Parks most certainly used a Hass 500C with the original chrome lenses and refused a freebie from Hass because he didn´t want the sharper versions that came along post-chrome. (Nobody offered me that deal; I´d have swapped at once.) He also was very handy with a Nikon F. If Parks wasn´t in your face, as you put it, he was nowhere. Did you ever see any of his Jerry Hall pics? His Pirelli Calendar? However, if by in your face you mean as in grunge, no, nobody did that in that era: it was about looking good, not worn out or otherwise distorted.  Sally Mann? Fashion?

I refer this bit not to you particularly, but to those posters who seem to be of the opinion that fashion consists of putting all the bits together, lighting as if for a Playmate and then going click. No, it does not; if I have to spell it out, it consists of building up an atmosphere, of taking the idea - whatever it might be - to the next place and right up to where there is no place left to go. You then start on another idea. And that´s why you pay for top models and why they tend to work within a small group. It´s about money and mutual respect and the ability to make each other´s work look good. Were it not so, all you´d need is a window dummy and an 8x10. But then, maybe that´s where some of us came in.

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:07:48 pm by Rob C »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 07:23:41 am »

There is no problem about any of those guys using LF, there is every problem with the inuendo that only LF gives that je ne sais quoi, that "golden shot" or however it was originally described. Avedon, in fact, is reputed to have used his Rollei TLR extensively and Parks most certainly used a Hass 500C with the original chrome lenses and refused a freebie from Hass because he didn´t want the sharper versions that came along post-chrome. (Nobody offered me that deal; I´d have swapped at once.) He also was very handy with a Nikon F. If Parks wasn´t in your face, as you put it, he was nowhere. Did you ever see any of his Jerry Hall pics? His Pirelli Calendar? However, if by in your face you mean as in grunge, no, nobody did that in that era: it was about looking good, not worn out or otherwise distorted.  Sally Mann? Fashion?

I refer this bit not to you particularly, but to those posters who seem to be of the opinion that fashion consists of putting all the bits together, lighting as if for a Playmate and then going click. No, it does not; if I have to spell it out, it consists of building up an atmosphere, of taking the idea - whatever it might be - to the next place and right up to where there is no place left to go. You then start on another idea. And that´s why you pay for top models and why they tend to work within a small group. It´s about money and mutual respect and the ability to make each other´s work look good. Were it not so, all you´d need is a window dummy and an 8x10. But then, maybe that´s where some of us came in.

Ciao - Rob C

Rob right on all accounts but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Any kind of photography will be affected by the equipment you use, wether it's a mechanical thing or a mind set. I see no reason why the op could not shoot a job digital then shoot some LF and get a different look and feel to the pictures, it need not be a static posed shot or it could be. The fact that he shoots with any type of camera will not guarantee a good end result.
Sally Mann was used as an example of what can be done with cumbersome equipment like a 10x8, no it's not fashion but it could of been if that had been her intension. LF is not the obvious choice to shoot fashion with in this day and age, but isn't that some of what fashion photography is about? not always going with the herd. That's why some of the sixties guys picked up 35mm in the first place for a different approach. Karsh portraits are of a different era and style, if he had been using a Leica it would of been different, not better but different. Some of the early photographers with their LF and slow glass plates managed to get animation and atmosphere into their images that astounds me, there are plenty that don't get that with todays turbo charged computer driven devices. The fact you have to shoot with film means it's going to be different, no instant feed back, I'm sure you know all about film, but it's easy to forget how much you had to hold films hand to walk it through a job, from loading, filtering, shooting, processing, assessing, scanning/printing. That alone is a different track of thought. Shooting 5x4 will not guarantee any worthwhile images for the OP, he might get something else useful from it, like you said taking an idea and running with it until you can't go any further.

Cheers,

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up