Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya DL28??  (Read 12686 times)

micmatthews

• http://www.digitaltransitions.com
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:02 am »

Quote from: footoograaf
Doug,

Thanks for clarification. How can someone check if DB is stolen or not.

You can check with Phase One. They have a list of stolen backs. If you buy one and
you try to get it repaired you are screwed. This happened to a client of mine that tried
to get a 2nd unit off ebay.

Best regards,
Michelle Matthews Digital

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 11:49:49 am »

Hi Josh, thanks. And yes, I am trying them out. I am actually purchasing a H1 kit at at great price from one of my dealers today. (Tried the Mamiya  and thought it felt cheap.) And I am trying a couple different backs this week...in the mean time I am trying to get as many questions answered as possible here.

Thanks everyone.

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:41 pm »

Woof says these used p30 backs can be had on ebay for around $6500. Cheap. Funny thing is one of my dealers called Phase and he said he could sell me a used/demo for $8800, then calumet calls Phase and offers me the same back for $13000! (each with one year warr., no value added)

This is just confusing. Either someone is gouging or something else is going on, where one dealer has 15% markup and another has 60% markup - in the same NYC market.
Needless to say, calumet will not make this sale...I am going with the other dealer...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:22:28 pm by lisa_r »

woof75

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 01:25:37 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Woof says these used p30 backs can be had on ebay for around $6500. Cheap. Funny thing is one of my dealers called Phase and he said he could sell me a used/demo for $8800, then calumet calls Phase and offers me the same back for $13000! (each with one year warr., no value added)

This is just confusing. Either someone is gouging or something else is going on, where one dealer has 15% markup and another has 60% markup - in the same NYC market.
Needless to say, calumet will not make this sale...I am going with the other dealer...

Woof thinks the price of backs is all over the place, it's sort of stupid isn't it. Calumet is pretty terrible as are fotocare. Don't forget, everything in this market is negotiable!

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »

I have worked with Calumet and Fotocare for years now, and in my experience they have been good for plenty of purposes. (the other dealer I am referring to with the $8800 offer is neither of these, by the way.) But I don't expect them each to call Phase on the same day and come back with prices varying by $4500 for the same exact item.  

Is Phase giving different dealers different prices? Is Calumet just tacking on $4500 more?? Of course they have every right to do that, but...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:51:58 pm by lisa_r »

pixjohn

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 02:02:14 pm »

I have a long buying history with Calumet over the years. Some times you just need to know who to ask. I can get better prices then B&H if I ask. Did you speak up, and ask them why it cost so much more?

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »

Quote from: pixjohn
I have a long buying history with Calumet over the years. Some times you just need to know who to ask. I can get better prices then B&H if I ask. Did you speak up, and ask them why it cost so much more?

I did, and they are now looking into it ;-)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:14:27 pm by lisa_r »

pookipichu

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 03:48:27 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Anyone know if this mirror delay fix works with the H1? I couldn't tell from reading that chart.

Can someone confirm whether the update works with the h1?

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 05:14:26 pm »

Quote from: pookipichu
Can someone confirm whether the update works with the h1?

Someone on here said it works for all the H cameras. For what it's worth, I shot some ambient light images yesterday at ISO 400 with an H1 & 80mm lens, and there did not seem to be any particular issues with slap (compared to my 5D2 with 50 1.4.) 1/100 at 2.8 looked pretty good. I also tested with strobes at ISO 100.

I did note just how similar the files look in terms of color, shadow detail, etc. between the p30 processed with C1 and the 5D2 files processed with DPP. They look very, very  similar aside from a slight amount more detail from the Phase. I know here on the web people like to jack up the shadows by 3 stops and then compare cameras that way, but out here in the real world, I have never needed to do anything like that with any of my commercial or personal images. So jacking up shadows 3 stops to test cameras has no bearing on my reality. Even so, I tried it. And at +2.5 stops, the Phase does not seem to hold more detail in the shadows, but it does look smoother than the Canon. The canon had some red splotches at + 2.5 stops.

I really like the H1 body, and it's AF is a lot better in low light than the Mam/Phase IMO. Surprising, the H1 also felt lighter! And way better than the Contax (which tends to hunt in moderately low light my experience.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:34:10 pm by lisa_r »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up