Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no Stickies at LL?  (Read 3644 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Why no Stickies at LL?
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:21 am »

Many forums use what are called "sticky topics" to keep very useful or important information always at the top of a forum category.  

Do you think they would be useful here?  Generally these stickies address topics of frequent interest.  They help prevent the same topics from recurring.  Frequently someone owns a sticky and is tasked with updating the first entry to be used as a sort of abstract of a topic that may eventually have hundreds of entries.  

Any thoughts?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

DarkPenguin

Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:36 am »

What needs a sticky?

Rob C

Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
What needs a sticky?

Never had a hole in your sole?

Rob C

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:31:35 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
What needs a sticky?

There are lots of possibilities.  I think some of the stuff about DXO might be an example of a topic that comes up every few weeks or months.  The thread that we last used may have fallen off the bottom of the list and a new one started--causing the topics to be spread out among lots of different discussion.

We could, for example, put sticky threads for discussion of all the major new camera platforms.  By localizing information in one place, we could possibly reduce the occurrence of "What do you think of Camera X?" threads.  These are fine threads, we just don't need so many of them.

Possible Threads for Stickies:
  • Qimage Hints and tricks
  • 5DMkII Opinions
  • Panoramic Software Suggestions
  • Photographic Integrity Using Post Processing

In the 4 years or so I have been reading LL, I have seen each of these threads (or their prior camera equivalents) at least five times.  I don't mean to suggest these are bad topics.  They are really good topics, but they probably don't warrant a separate category, while others may eventually become obsolete with new generations of equipment.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Dale_Cotton2

• http://daystarvisions.com
Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:17:41 pm »

Does the IP.Board software being used here offer this feature?

Bob Peterson

• http://www.pbase.com/rwzeitgeist/
Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:03:57 pm »

Quote from: Dale_Cotton2
Does the IP.Board software being used here offer this feature?
The Administrator Documentation refers to this as "pinning" a topic, but  doesn't actually define the term.

Bob

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 05:53:48 pm »

Quote from: fike
We could, for example, put sticky threads for discussion of all the major new camera platforms.  By localizing information in one place, we could possibly reduce the occurrence of "What do you think of Camera X?" threads.  These are fine threads, we just don't need so many of them.
The problem in such a case is that you make a single thread with 6.5874E+25 posts (spread on 1.31748E+24 pages of the lofi version), where any relevant information is deeply buried in conversional noise. That's a thing often seen in other forums and I really think that's a pity.

It could still be useful for "Qimage tips and tricks", but then it should begin with "Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure."
And for the very interesting topic "Photographic Integrity Using Post Processing", it should also be possible to greate a special section for those passionate and passioning discussions - why not "Liberty Island"?  
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

Quote from: NikoJorj
The problem in such a case is that you make a single thread with 6.5874E+25 posts (spread on 1.31748E+24 pages of the lofi version), where any relevant information is deeply buried in conversional noise. That's a thing often seen in other forums and I really think that's a pity.

It could still be useful for "Qimage tips and tricks", but then it should begin with "Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure."
And for the very interesting topic "Photographic Integrity Using Post Processing", it should also be possible to greate a special section for those passionate and passioning discussions - why not "Liberty Island"?  

I like the last suggestion. I was surprised to find the integrity thread in the "about this site" section where it does not seem to belong at all. I would have loved to participate but did not find it until it had a billion posts. But, "liberty island" does not cut it, either. Perhaps a forum name like "Photographic philosophy and aesthetics" would work?

Peter

michael

Why no Stickies at LL?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:27:49 pm »

These are all good ideas, but require someone to do it. These take time and effort - something that's in short supply these days.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up