Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New f/w for A2 does NOT solve AF/reboots problem  (Read 2984 times)

Gary_Berg

New f/w for A2 does NOT solve AF/reboots problem
« on: June 07, 2004, 06:49:29 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Add, as I play with focusing my A2 in my family room quite often. Typically with shutter speeds around 1/3rd to 1/10th second. It's never failed under those conditions.[/font]

E.Z

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 09:00:54 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Michael,

I sent the camera for repair but Minolta's Germany lab, (which serves all of Europe and the Middle East), returned it untouched.
I've read many reports from other users who have exactly the same problem as I have, so I think my problem is not unique. By the way, all those who got their units back from repair also reported that their cameras were not repaired.

Anyway, there's something I don't understand about this update. You state on the news page that this update is Minolta's answer to the AF/reboots problem, but the list of fixes you provide does not refer to this problem at all (I've verified that those four items are the same as on Minolta Japan web site). So how do you know that this update is indeed the solution to the AF/reboots problem?

Thanks,

EZ[/font]

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:08:31 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']My camera had a severe problem with focusing from the day I got it. In many cases when it failed to focus it would either restart by itself or the Af would be stuck (and only release after restarting).

I sent the camera for repair and got it back after 6 weeks from the central Minolta lab in Germany. They didn't as much as touch the camera (none of the screws has any abrasion marks), and didn't even try a firmware update. Needless to say the camera was as defective as before.

Now I was really excited to read the news about the 1.12 firmware, that supposedly fixes the problem. Minolta doesn't list the AF/reboot as one of the problems fixed by this firmware, unfortunately with good reason - it's not fixed.

I've just updated my camera to 1.12. As I know how to trigger the problem I tried to make it happen right away, and succeeded on just the second attempt.

All I had to do is try to focus on something in a dimly lit room. The camera didn't get focus lock (no complaints as it was very dim), but when I half-pressed the shutter release again - the camera rebooted.

So, firmware 1.12 as great as it might be, does not solve this problem. I still have the most wonderful, feature rich, 8 mega-pixel digital paperweight.

EZ.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']So, I keep going to the Minolta site and the new firmware isn't showing up yet.

How did you obtain it?[/font]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:40:05 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']On the European website from this morning

http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/magic_f....en.html

HTH  :)[/font]
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

E.Z

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 06:08:39 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']My camera had a severe problem with focusing from the day I got it. In many cases when it failed to focus it would either restart by itself or the Af would be stuck (and only release after restarting).

I sent the camera for repair and got it back after 6 weeks from the central Minolta lab in Germany. They didn't as much as touch the camera (none of the screws has any abrasion marks), and didn't even try a firmware update. Needless to say the camera was as defective as before.

Now I was really excited to read the news about the 1.12 firmware, that supposedly fixes the problem. Minolta doesn't list the AF/reboot as one of the problems fixed by this firmware, unfortunately with good reason - it's not fixed.

I've just updated my camera to 1.12. As I know how to trigger the problem I tried to make it happen right away, and succeeded on just the second attempt.

All I had to do is try to focus on something in a dimly lit room. The camera didn't get focus lock (no complaints as it was very dim), but when I half-pressed the shutter release again - the camera rebooted.

So, firmware 1.12 as great as it might be, does not solve this problem. I still have the most wonderful, feature rich, 8 mega-pixel digital paperweight.

EZ.[/font]

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 08:15:40 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']E.Z.,

You obviously have a problem camera with issues beyond those addressed by the update. It sounds like that it'll have to be repaired or replaced.

Michael[/font]

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 08:05:40 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']"Improved the symptom that LCD turns off or the camera cannot focus on the high brightness subject with the Flex Focus Point at the focal length of 100mm.
"

The later part of that sentance clearly addresses the problem that people have experienced. I certainly have, and some tests over the past two days show that I can no longer replicate the problem that I always could before. Ergo, the problem is fixed.

Now, I'm not saying that you and possibly others don't have another problem. That certainly sounds to be the case.

Here's my conjecture. Minolta was aware of this problem but they were working on a firmware fix, and so when people sent in their cameras for repair there was no point in opening them to fix something that the local offices knew to be a firmware problem.

In your case the problem though lies elsewhere though. If you now send in the camera,and they can see that it still malfunctions with the new firmware, my guess is that they will fix this problem because it will be clear to them that something else must be wrong.

Michael[/font]

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 11:54:56 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']It was provided to me by Minolta so that I could test it. I have no certain knowledge when it will be posted. It has been in the Japanese Konica / Minolta site for a couple fo days, so it's just a matter of time.

Michael[/font]

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:22:26 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']
On the European website from this morning

http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/magic_f....en.html

HTH  
How do we know that this firmware is intended for the North American market and supported by the importer?[/font]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 03:27:20 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Boku

Check this part of the dpreview thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums....9096135

Someone was asking a similar question.

HTH  ???[/font]
A collection of mine here http://500px.c