Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADVICE: Sales via National Park/Monument Concessions  (Read 2754 times)

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
ADVICE: Sales via National Park/Monument Concessions
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:25 am »

I have been contacted by someone who deals with photographs and other merchandise sold through gift shops in national parks and monuments regarding the use of some of my photographs. While I have experience licensing photographs for other types of usage and in selling prints, this is unfamiliar territory for me.

I'm curious if anyone out there has any concrete experience along these specific lines. I'm particularly interested in customary rights and licensing arrangements, both for sales of actual photographic prints and perhaps other methods of reproduction, and also in pricing guidelines.

A response here or via PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:03:45 am »

Quote from: gdanmitchell
I have been contacted by someone who deals with photographs and other merchandise sold through gift shops in national parks and monuments regarding the use of some of my photographs. While I have experience licensing photographs for other types of usage and in selling prints, this is unfamiliar territory for me.

I'm curious if anyone out there has any concrete experience along these specific lines. I'm particularly interested in customary rights and licensing arrangements, both for sales of actual photographic prints and perhaps other methods of reproduction, and also in pricing guidelines.

A response here or via PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

There's an article series on LL by Alain Briot, where he goes to quite some detail on this very subject.

gdanmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »

Quote from: feppe
There's an article series on LL by Alain Briot, where he goes to quite some detail on this very subject.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm somewhat familiar with Briot's series of posts and I do know of at least one in which he mentions that he sells photographs in this sort of market... but - unless I'm missing the article you refer to - I didn't find anything specific about the two issues:

1. intellectual property issues and licensing terms
2. pricing and related issues.

My gratitude will be even greater if you or anyone else either point me to the specific Briot article that touches on details of these particular questions and/or share with me some experience/advice in this area.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:01:31 pm by gdanmitchell »
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »

Quote from: gdanmitchell
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm somewhat familiar with Briot's series of posts and I do know of at least one in which he mentions that he sells photographs in this sort of market... but - unless I'm missing the article you refer to - I didn't find anything specific about the two issues:

1. intellectual property issues and licensing terms
2. pricing and related issues.

My gratitude will be even greater if you or anyone else either point me to the specific Briot article that touches on details of these particular questions and/or share with me some experience/advice in this area.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Impact Photographic is a national park licensee that I work with. It is primarily post card/poster usage. they license for 5 year periods and credit your name on the card. Not a big money maker unless you have many, many images represented, which I do not.

I also had a private deal at Monument Valley, supplying them with prints for sale. That has slowed down since last summer and I will be meeting with their rep soon to see what this year may bring. I thought it would do more but sadly hasn't.

It certainly helps to be close to the source so that you can provide immediate service.

good luck,

Pages: [1]   Go Up