Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a Scanmate 5000 - SCSI connections + new macs???  (Read 12629 times)

sperera

I have a Scanmate 5000 - SCSI connections + new macs???
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:10:00 pm »

Hi all....I have the fantastic Scanmate 5000 drum scanner connected to an old Apple Powerbook running System 9 and connected by SCSI cables. The software is ColorQuartet 4.2 (i think).....I was wondering how, if at all possible, I can get this scanner to work on new Macs running OSX.....is there a software that can operate the Scanmate plus are there adapters to connect the Scanmate to new Macs????
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:07 pm »

You've got 2 problems, hardware and software. You could try the RATOC SCSI to Firewire (400) adapter, usually about $100 and then try run your OS9 software on OS X (are you intelmac or powerpc G5 based?) with Rosetta stone emulation (comes with your mac). I suspect an older G5 / powerpc type Mac would do a better job at running your old software. Or you could check if silverfast scanning software is available your scanner - it's cheap and not bad. Don't try emulation with parallels / vmware / virtualbox - it's not worth the pain and it doesn't work.

Lastly, join the yahoo group "Scan High End" and ask them for help, a very knowledgeable group.

-N

Quote from: sperera
Hi all....I have the fantastic Scanmate 5000 drum scanner connected to an old Apple Powerbook running System 9 and connected by SCSI cables. The software is ColorQuartet 4.2 (i think).....I was wondering how, if at all possible, I can get this scanner to work on new Macs running OSX.....is there a software that can operate the Scanmate plus are there adapters to connect the Scanmate to new Macs????

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:17:42 am »

You could try the RATOC SCSI to Firewire (400) adapter, usually about $100 and then try run your OS9 software on OS X

That worked for me under OS X (can't recall which version, this was awhile ago) driving a Pictrography printer on a non SCSI system.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

petermarrek

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »

Why not just buy an older power mac that runs OS9 , put a firewire card in it and transfer your files from there?

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:14 pm »

I know lots of guys who have older G4's running OS9 expressly for things like that. I believe you can even have it connect via ethernet to your network to move files back and forth.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

sperera

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:02:11 am »

Quote from: jjlphoto
I know lots of guys who have older G4's running OS9 expressly for things like that. I believe you can even have it connect via ethernet to your network to move files back and forth.
thanks to everyone who's replied....

I have a Powerbook G3 connected to the scanner running Mac OS9....with the dongle ky.....all is fine....the only issue I now have is that I have a CD writer connected to the SCSI chain in order to extract files.....

HOW DO I PASS FILES VIA ETHERNET FROM THE 0S9 Powerbook to the Mac Pro running OS 10.5.6????
Stephen Perera
www.ulookfierce.com

jjlphoto

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:15:08 am »

Quote from: sperera
HOW DO I PASS FILES VIA ETHERNET FROM THE 0S9 Powerbook to the Mac Pro running OS 10.5.6????

Should be able to connect that OS9 machine to your router, or if you only have those two machines, a crossover ethernet cable will allow both to be connected direct. (Gigabit Ethernet automatically senses what is being connected and you can use standard CAT 5 cables, so you could try that if you have Gigabit ethernet)

In your OS9 machine, go to under the Apple to the Chooser and turn on the Apple Talk button. (Make sure Apple Talk is also active in your OSX machine). Next, in your OS9 machine, under the Apple, go to Network Browser. A window comes up, and the first graphic button in the string will let you open up a small pull down menu that allows you to select Connect to Server. Then enter the IP address of your OSX machine, and it should connect and mount your OSX volume on your OS9 desktop just like a normal OSX to OSX network connection.

Also, I suggest posting that to the Apple Discussions: http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:40:59 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up