Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to cut a roll of canvas  (Read 9049 times)

Photopro888

Best way to cut a roll of canvas
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:51:28 am »

Has anyone cut a roll of canvas (a 36” down to 24”) with a miter saw, or any other way; the roll is 50ft long and almost 4.5" in diameter. Let’s assume I have no other option but to cut the rolls down to 24”. I do have a miter saw but only with a 10” blade, would have to cut it from each side.

Any help would be appreciated.  

-Darren

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:45:14 am »

I have cut a roll of banner material (tyvek) down from 60inches to 44inches with a 10inch mitre saw - but it was only 3.5inches in diameter and needed only a single cut.

It cut quite well - the plastic tends to melt and give you a fairly smooth edge - should work with canvas as well if it is a plastic mix.

I suggest you take it to someone with a bigger saw.  Can't help wondering why you need to cut a 36 down to a 24 though?

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:57 am »

I have cut rolls before with a bandsaw.  I taped around the end of the roll several times to create a shield.  After cutting, I sanded the end on a 12" stationary disc sander to get a smooth surface.  Had to air gun off everything when finished.  The only tricky thing is that the  roll wants to "roll" during the cut - best to cut a wedge to keep it from turning.  Also, it's a good idea to keep it in a plastic bag during cutting - eliminating some of the mess.  If you don't have a bandsaw and a stationary sander, find a local woodworker in your area.  Look up a local chapter of the AAW (American Association of Woodturners).  There's a lot of those guys out there and most of them have bandsaws and know how to cut round tubular objects on their bandsaws (they cut a lot of limbs and logs that way), and most of them have stationary disc sanders too.  They're a very friendly bunch - would likely not charge much if at all.  This method works well - I've done it many times.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

petermarrek

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:35:35 am »

It will take a bit of time but a new Olfa blade will do it. Keep rolling the roll and cut with the tip of the blade, keep breaking off the blade to keep the point sharp. As was mentioned earlier, wrap some masking tape around the roll tightly, it will help. Peter

framah

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »

Be aware that as you move this roll around the machinery,you stand a good chance of scuffing the printing surface which will show up in the final print and unless you get ALL of the minute paper dust and pieces of the roll, it will cause tiny blank spots where the ink printed on the speck and then the speck will fall away.

Personally it doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle just to cut off 12".

Either buy a 24" roll or  cut it off after printing.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up