Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ritz/Wolf Camera Bankruptcy  (Read 4347 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Ritz/Wolf Camera Bankruptcy
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:58 pm »

DP Review Announcement of Ritz Camera Restructuring

It is too bad to see another company going through layoffs and bankruptcy.  I have an uncle who was laid off from Ritz Camera.  I feel very badly for him.

With that said, I really despise Ritz Camera.  Their prices are bad.  Their service is poor, but most of all what I hate, is that their knowledge of the products they sell is pathetic.  They have driven-out so many of the quality photo shops (along with consumer electronics chains like Best Buy) that, outside of NYC, there aren't many choices to get good advice and access to equipment for demos or rentals.  

I hate to see any family or company go through this, but if the rest of the economy weren't collapsing around us, I would probably do a little happy dance to see Ritz reorganize and possibly go away.  We are fortunate in the Washington DC area to have one other small photo chain that is holding on, Penn Camera.  They provide decent service and are very knowledgeable about their products, although their prices are a bit insane.  Perhaps this will enable the independent photo shop to regain its niche. (I'm not holding my breath.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:18:59 pm by fike »
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

printroom_johnpaul

• http://www.johnpaulphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:34 pm »

Quote from: fike
DP Review Announcement of Ritz Camera Restructuring

It is too bad to see another company going through layoffs and bankruptcy.  I have an uncle who was laid off from Ritz Camera.  I feel very badly for him.

With that said, I really despise Ritz Camera.  Their prices are bad.  Their service is poor, but most of all what I hate, is that their knowledge of the products they sell is pathetic.  They have driven-out so many of the quality photo shops (along with consumer electronics chains like Best Buy) that, outside of NYC, there aren't many choices to get good advice and access to equipment for demos or rentals.  

I hate to see any family or company go through this, but if the rest of the economy weren't collapsing around us, I would probably do a little happy dance to see Ritz reorganize and possibly go away.  We are fortunate in the Washington DC area to have one other small photo chain that is holding on, Penn Camera.  They provide decent service and are very knowledgeable about their products, although their prices are a bit insane.  Perhaps this will enable the independent photo shop to regain its niche. (I'm not holding my breath.)

I've generally had good results with the local ritz stores in my area. The prices are slightly higher than shopping at B&H but the people and customer service are pretty good.

JP

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 01:39:23 am »

Sorry to see them go. I bought my D80 from Ritz. The Ritz stores i was in reminded me of a couple of camera stores I worked in loooong ago. Plus the sales person was a hottie, which is decidedly unlike the days when I worked in camera stores.

In our area there has been an endless string of well regarded companies large and small going under. It is a slow motion tragedy of vast proportions
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:40:18 am by Justan »

Chris Sandstrom

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:09:27 am »

Hi,
I tried to explain the bankruptcy of Ritz in the following slideshow:

http://www.slideshare.net/Christiansandstr...-of-ritz-camera

Parallells to the collapse of radio resellers in the 1950s and 60s to the shifting distribution channel for electronic calculators in the 70s can be seen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up