Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Print - Picture Package  (Read 5102 times)

nanjeca

Lightroom Print - Picture Package
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:12 pm »

I was reading a separate post in another topic in these forums about putting together what was basically several picture packages using a RIP. This prompts me to think and ask...

Can you use the Print module's picture package capability to assemble a sheet layout for multiple print sizes and combinations such as 2 11x14, 6 8x10 and 12 4x6... when using roll paper so you do not have a predefined sheet size other than width???

The issue isn't the mix of same or different prints, the issue is the use of roll paper and not cut sheet.

Any responses??

mike

nanjeca

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:12:31 am »

anybody??  (bump)

mike

Gary Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:48:57 am »

Yes and no (sorta)

Lightroom doesn't handle multiple shot packages by nature, you have to fool it.

Here's a link to an article about how to do it.

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2009/vi...cture-packages/

Maybe Adobe will make this more robust in the future.

I personally find it easier to just make them in Photoshop and print them that way.

Quote from: nanjeca
anybody??  (bump)

mike

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:29:02 am »

Quote from: nanjeca
The issue isn't the mix of same or different prints, the issue is the use of roll paper and not cut sheet.
You mean, you'd want an "open" page size? I don't know of any utility offering this - the driver itself asks for a page size first, as do QImage and LR. So you'll have to define your (custom) page size beforehand anyway.

Maybe some RIPs?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Tony B.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:57:19 am »

I am not sure if this is what you are thinking about but with my Canon iPF5000 it has a layout check box for 'no spaces at top or bottom (conserve paper)'
This allows you to make a page size much longer than needed, batch all of your photo's at the leading edge then when you print it will cut the sheet just after the trailing edge of the last image.  So, you make a custom size sheet like 24" x 50", if you only fill the first 20" it will cut it off there.

I do not know if Epson or HP have a similar check box.

Tony

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:58:03 am »

Quote from: Gary Gray
Yes and no (sorta)

Lightroom doesn't handle multiple shot packages by nature, you have to fool it.

Here's a link to an article about how to do it.

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2009/vi...cture-packages/

Maybe Adobe will make this more robust in the future.

I personally find it easier to just make them in Photoshop and print them that way.

Gary,

Thanks for posting this video link.
I just gave this a try and it works pretty good.
If you follow the video instructions it is pretty simple to setup.

Stu

nanjeca

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:13:59 pm »

Quote from: Tony B.
I am not sure if this is what you are thinking about but with my Canon iPF5000 it has a layout check box for 'no spaces at top or bottom (conserve paper)'
This allows you to make a page size much longer than needed, batch all of your photo's at the leading edge then when you print it will cut the sheet just after the trailing edge of the last image.  So, you make a custom size sheet like 24" x 50", if you only fill the first 20" it will cut it off there.

Tony

Thanks for the re[plies, sounds like Lightroom doesn't have the ability to use a "undefined" page length and size itself.

Tony, your suggestion would work for you is you at least had an idea to define the largest page size to at least define a maximum paper length. I will check into this to see if my Epson 7880 has similar control in the driver dialog.

Thanks again

mike

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 02:25:39 pm »

Quote from: Tony B.
So, you make a custom size sheet like 24" x 50", if you only fill the first 20" it will cut it off there.
There is such a checkbox on the old HP plotter we got at work (called "inked surface" or so)... Don't know if it's still there on a Z3200.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:49 am »

Quote from: NikoJorj
There is such a checkbox on the old HP plotter we got at work (called "inked surface" or so)... Don't know if it's still there on a Z3200.
Yes it was called save inked, now it's called Remove Top/Bottom Blank areas.
It doesn't seem to work if borderless is selected, as I just printed out this way and it did not cut off the trailing white areas.

I prefer Qimage for placing and arranging images at different sizing. As others said you still have to select a page size first, but it can be the roll width as far as I can tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up