Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook vs Mac book Pro for shooting tethered?  (Read 4266 times)

lightstand

Macbook vs Mac book Pro for shooting tethered?
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »

for the past few years I've been shooting tethered into a 12" Powerbook and even though I love it's size for location work i have never been able to judge a photo's exposure/tones/colors on location with it. Last week it died and I have to replace it. For me the size of the 13" Macbook is the most attractive however my question, is there a noticeable difference between the Macbook & MacbookPro's screen that people would recommend getting the 15"? Any opinions on using the Macbook for judging photos? (Granted everything gets adjusted on a NEC at the office) Can the Macbook be calibrated accurately?   Finally am I overlooking any of the different features that the 15" has when it comes to shooting tethered (canon's software maybe lite editing in bridge & or photoshop)?

Any and all insights or advice would be very welcome. thanks jeff

p.s. yes I've been reading through the archives on the lack of firewire & matte screens but I haven't found threads comparing the 13" to the 15" I have read viewing off axis on the 13" sucks however screen real estate on location doesn't matter to me as much as portability
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:10:31 pm by lightstand »

lightstand

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »

Someone must have an opinion, please. Went to the Apple store today and couldn't get any relevant info out of looking at both of them next to each other or from the sale person. Definitely saw a viewing angle difference between the laptops and the iMac with the matte screen. Anyone know of any trouble with the Macbook's video card and CS4?

Again I truly appreciate any insights between these two laptops. Thanks jeff
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:55:33 pm by lightstand »

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:31 am »

I don't know about the screens but I'd guess the Macbook Pro has a better screen only because you have to get something for the extra cost of the pro.

One feature that's missing on the Macbook is firewire. You only have USB ports on the Macbook. That may or may not be important to you.

bwest5

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:08:23 am »

Hi LightStand:

I have use neither the MB or MBP but I am in the market for a MBP.  I live in the Bay Area and went to Macworld this January.  FWIW, the new 17" has a materially improved color gamit when compared to the MBP 15".  Go to this page and read the paragraph on display:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

2.3 million pixels of perfection.

"With the high-resolution LED-backlit widescreen display on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, you get desktop-quality color in an Apple notebook for the first time. The moment you open your MacBook Pro, you’re greeted instantly by full, corner-to-corner screen brightness. The 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution (133 pixels per inch) means you can view more palettes and windows or watch HD video in its native 1920-by-1080 resolution. Perfect whether you’re working in the studio or out in the field, the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors and a 700:1 contrast ratio that makes whites brighter and blacks blacker. In addition, the seamless glass enclosure makes the display stronger and more durable. Because it’s power efficient and the glass is mercury- and arsenic-free, it’s greener than ever. And now you can choose a standard glossy display or an optional antiglare display, depending on your needs."

After reading the paragraph above I went back to MacWorld a second day and discussed the 60 percent with several Apple people.  By sheer chance, I hooked up with an Apple employee introducted to me as the "Product Manager". He could not tell me what percent of Adobe 98 the monitor can handle, stated that it is definitely visible, so lets look.  He had the 17" sitting next to a 15" MBP and pulled up the same image on each.  It was a a close up shot of a junior brides maid.  The skin tones on the new 17" were significantly better than on the new 15" MBP.  I would suggest that you go to an Apple store and take a test drive.

Apple also had a matt screen version at the show.  Frankly I was disappointed with it.  The screen uses what Apple describes first described as a film but is now describing as a coating.  You can find that discussion on the ordering page when you get to the question on which version of the screen you wish to order.  Here is what comes up:

Display
MacBook Pro comes with a high-resolution 1920x1200 pixel LED-backlit display. Choose a standard glossy display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with richer color and deeper blacks, or an optional antiglare display.
Learn more
About glossy and antiglare
Choose the glossy widescreen display to make your graphics, photos, and videos appear with richer colours and deeper blacks — great for watching DVD movies. If you prefer a display with antiglare coating for a matte rather than glossy viewing experience, choose the antiglare widescreen display.

There was a small East Bay vendor at the MacWorld this year that for $200 modifies the glossy and turns it into the matt finish.  Frankly, I thought it look materially better than the pre-production model Apple had at the show.  I happen to know some Apple developers and probed them.  My understanding is that Apple improved the "red filters" which had been inferior in earlier models.  Will this trickle down the line?  I do not know.  IMO, displays have not been Apple's strong suit.

I am on the fence as to which 17" dispay I will order.  I have been waiting to take another look once, both versions of the 17" to arrive at the Apple store.  Which should occur an week or two now that they are shipping.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob West

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:30:38 am »

If your camera is connected via firewire, tethering is not an option with the MacBook as it has no firewire port.
Gerald J Skrocki

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:47:47 am »

Quote from: jerryrock
If your camera is connected via firewire, tethering is not an option with the MacBook as it has no firewire port.

The entry-level white MacBook still has firewire, unlike the uni-body aluminum models. At least that's the case in the Apple stores and authorized venders in S.E. Asia as of yesterday. Might be worth a look if one doesn't need the horsepower of the MBP.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:50:45 am by DFAllyn »

lightstand

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:50 am »

Thanks for the responses, my cameras connect via usb so that factor is ok. If the 15" was the matte(anti glare) screen like the new 17" there would be no question. For me the 17" is just too large and I know it would stay in it's pelican case too much of the time because of that reason. I am even tempted to try and pick up a portable dvd player to hold me over for the next two months (leaves aren't out yet) Any suggestions on DVD players to sync with Canon 1 cameras?

My real question that I just can't decipher from visiting the store is wether there is a difference between the screens of the 13" & 15" such as viewing angle? If there is a difference in being able to calibrate the 13" for reasonable location work. Any opinions or insights would be very welcome. thanks jeff

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:04:24 pm »

Quote from: lightstand
Thanks for the responses, my cameras connect via usb so that factor is ok. If the 15" was the matte(anti glare) screen like the new 17" there would be no question. For me the 17" is just too large and I know it would stay in it's pelican case too much of the time because of that reason. I am even tempted to try and pick up a portable dvd player to hold me over for the next two months (leaves aren't out yet) Any suggestions on DVD players to sync with Canon 1 cameras?

My real question that I just can't decipher from visiting the store is wether there is a difference between the screens of the 13" & 15" such as viewing angle? If there is a difference in being able to calibrate the 13" for reasonable location work. Any opinions or insights would be very welcome. thanks jeff

I just changed from a 12"PB to a MBP. The main reason was speed. With tethered 1Ds MkIII files taking about the time it took for a Polaroid to develop (90 sec) to render at 100% in Lightroom. It takes 6 sec on the MBP. I also wondered about the bottom end, white MB (wanting to still have FW), as the portability factor was a concern. The MBP's design minimises its actual size though so I don't feel like I'm lugging a monster around. After some comparisons I concluded that the screen is better on the MBP. Coming from the 12"PB I was more concerned about the gloss screen but personally, I don't find the new screen a problem, even outside. The biggest deciding point for the MBP over the MacBook however was the fact that the MBP makes for a practical 'back up' computer if my MacPro ever goes u/s.

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »

i have experience with both these screens as i use a macbook pro and my wife owns a macbook (new white version, not the newest chrome version).

in my opinion, the macbook pro screen (led) is adequate for proofing photos in almost all regards. the exception on mine is  a definite warm tone that persists after calibration compared to my stand-alone monitor.

even for temporary purposes, however, the macbook screen, is not workable for graphics or photography. there is a quality to these screens that is like looking through a lead glass window. after working on my mbpro, then viewing something on the  macbook, the difference is huge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up